Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solutions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm 

Hi Folks.

I am gearing up to get some solutions written up and sent in to Sandy. My question is, which solutions should be posted first? We already have a 3x3x3 solution, and I was thinking that some of the other basic puzzles made sense to upload first (Pyraminx, Megaminx, Skewb, etc.). What do you think?

By the way, I have obtained permission from Gelatinbrain to use screen shots from his site to help illustrate some of the solutions, so that should be a tremendous help.

Thanks.

Scot

Post subject: Re: Solutions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 pm 

Yes, I've thought about this too.

As you said, some of the simpler puzzles seemed like they should have solutions first, especially because many other solutions rely on having knowledge of those. Beyond that, I wouldn't know which direction to go.

As far as GB, I didn't even think to get permission (shame on me!), but it's good that you did since I've already used his puzzles in my solutions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 pm 

Glad to hear we're on the same page.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 pm 

Well, I have a Skewb solution written up - I'm just trying to remember a little html to get it formatted properly. I'll be sending it to Sandy tomorrow for his review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 pm 

I really should get to doing this. Recently I've been discussing the FTO and 1.3.7 with Julian and I know some of what we talked about will eventually get incorporated into solutions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:04 am 

I think you should post the solutions for the Megaminx, Skewb, Maybe the Rubik's Magic, Cubedron (EDIT: After the competition, like ejisfun said below me) and the mastermorphix.

I'd like to know how to solve them faster :)

Last edited by Retr0 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am 

I don't think people should post a solution for the cubedron until the competitions over. Half the fun is figuring out an optimal solution! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 am 

(and I think I'm ALMOST there.)

I agree that the more simple puzzles should come first, then from there whatever there's time to do.

I know I'm interested in notation and solutions for jumbleable puzzles. That'd be a treat!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:33 pm 

merlintocs is working on solutions for the skewb, megaminx, and pyraminx crystal. I'm doing solutions for the dino, pyraminx, helicopter cube (non-jumblable for now), and lattice cube. We also have a few other random puzzles on gelatinbrain.

I also know that fusion has a great solution for the 24 cubes that he's willing to let us use. Noah has a solution for the pentultimate too and while I haven't asked him yet, I think he'll let us use it (if you're reading this, can we?).

Also, though they aren't content moderators, I don't doubt that we'll be getting a lot of help from those who often post in the gelatinbrain thread. Julian and grigr have both been avid solutionists especially.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:15 pm 

ejisfun wrote:
I don't think people should post a solution for the cubedron until the competitions over. Half the fun is figuring out an optimal solution! :D

An optimal solution for the 180 parity issue was posted long time ago. There is absolutely no harm in posting,
describing, or explaining a more efficient way. In fact, I would be happy if people post how they solve it,
as well as their own technique for the D-move (for 90 degrees).

Remember, the competition is about speed-solving, not solving. I cannot (and should not) expect younger people
to be proficient in mathematics, so posting anything about the Cubedron is Fair Game in my opinion.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:01 pm 

I submitted a Skewb solution to Sandy about a week ago - like Danny said, next up will be the Pyraminx Crystal and Megaminx. I don't have a Cubedron yet, so that one will have to wait for a while! :D

Danny Devitt wrote:
Also, though they aren't content moderators, I don't doubt that we'll be getting a lot of help from those who often post in the gelatinbrain thread. Julian and grigr have both been avid solutionists especially.

I sure hope they're willing to help! Those guys, as well as Doug and Noah and Michael are terrific solvers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 pm 

The Cubedron is plenty fun. Except it kinda loses it's fun when you memorize which piece goes where and in what orientation. Still fun, though!

But hey, that's what the krystelledron is for, right?

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."