Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Posting Images
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm 

Until now, an image could be posted to the forum in two ways: the [Img] BBCode and as an attachment.

When posting images that exist elsewhere on the internet, the [Img] BBCode is by far the simplest and often gets used. However, when the [Img] BBCode is used to display a paricularly large image, it can negatively affect the appearance of the forum by stretching the forum to accomodate the image. In general, images should accomodate the forum, not the other way around. From this point onward, images displayed directly within the message should have a maximum width of 500pixels. Image attachments will respect this limit automatically. If the attached image is wider than 500 pixels, a thumbnail will automatically be created and displayed instead of the full-size image, and clicking on the thumbnail will display the full-size image in a new window. While less convenient than the [Img] BBCode for posting images that are already on the internet, image attachments remain the prefered method of displaying images on the forum since they give the forum the greatest amount of control over the image, and uploading the image to the server ensures future availability of the image.

The [Img] BBCode cannot resize images and display thumbnails in the above manner, so I have created the [ImgPix] BBCode, a slightly modified version of the [Img] BBCode which allows you to specify the pixel width of the image you are posting.

Image Attachments (preferred method for all images):
- required for posting images that are not yet on the internet
- less convenient for posting images from other websites (requires downloading to your computer, then uploading to TwistyPuzzles)
- automagically resizes if required, shows a thumbnail which can be clicked to view the full-size version
- saves the image on the server for all time
- can be placed "inline" (within the body of your message), or simply left at the end of the message

[ImgPix] BBCode: [imgpix width=500]http://image_url[/imgpix]
- can be used to easily post images that are already somewhere on the internet
- can be sized using width attribute, making it suitable for larger images, but cannot be clicked to display the full-size version
- not copied to TwistyPuzzles.com, image will probably become unavailable at some future point, decreasing the value of the message
- can be placed inline

[Img] BBCode: [img]http://image_url[/img]
- can be used to easily post images that are already somewhere on the internet
- cannot be resized: useful for small images only, a wide image will mis-shape the forum which must be avoided
- image is not copied to TwistyPuzzles.com, image will probably become unavailable at some future point, decreasing the value of the message
- can be placed inline

When posting a message that contains the [img] BBCode, ensure the image width is within 500 pixels (right-click it, choose Properties). If it's too wide, simply convert your [img]http://image_url[/img] code to [imgpix width=500]http://image_url[/imgpix]. If you notice any messages that contain images that are too wide and are mis-shaping the forum, click the "Report this post" button to notify the moderators.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Posting Images
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:22 pm 

500 pixels may be a little low, but until I get the new design online, let's leave it like that for now.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:50 pm 

For forum, I usually use 640x, but I can shrink them from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm 

The new design is optimized for 1024x768, although if I can wrap my brain around the CSS it may stretch to the full browser width. There will be a menu/features bar along the right side, which will probably be present in the forum section of the site. It's about 300 pixels wide, which would leave about 700 pixels for the forum. An image width of 640 would only leave about 60 pixels left for the "Author" column while browsing a thread. I'm not exactly sure how wide that column is, but it seems closer to 100. Anyway, I'm getting a little ahead of myself!

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 pm 

Wouldnt it be easiest if width=500was already included in the imgpix button (or whatever width you choose)?

Like:
Code:
[ImgPix width=500][/ImgPix]

So it turns out something like:

As opposed to: [ImgPix]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/Caphits/IMG_0358.jpg[/ImgPix]

Cap-hits, not Cafits