Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Crystal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 am 

That makes me wonder how many white ones were made...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 am 

They are now both back again, so no worries. lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 am 

Mine came in the mail last night. It's my third dodecahedron, following on with the Skewb Ultimate and Tomy's Megaminx.

Next: The Gigaminx! Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:36 pm 

Just got my pyraminx crysytal (black). Ordered July 6, received July 22. I'm in eastern US (Pennsylvania) in case anyone cares.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
One side of mine just came unscrewed. Damn! What should I do? I could superglue it, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Sorry if this is old news, but I had the same problem--only on all 12 screws!

The solution is to simply replace the stock screws with something larger. I happen to have a large supply of M3x20 machine screws, as well as some M3x9x.7 washers that do very nicely. The factory springs are, of course, fine.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
professorcube5x5 wrote:
One side of mine just came unscrewed. Damn! What should I do? I could superglue it, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Sorry if this is old news, but I had the same problem--only on all 12 screws!

The solution is to simply replace the stock screws with something larger. I happen to have a large supply of M3x20 machine screws, as well as some M3x9x.7 washers that do very nicely. The factory springs are, of course, fine.

Cheers!

I haven't received mine, but have had similar trouble with the Megaminx. I have a few questions:

1.) You say the springs are just fine. Most speed cubers replace their megaminx springs with softer versions with very good results. I replaced my megaminx springs with the springs from a cheap tiled chinese megaminx and it was a huge improvement. I assume the pryaminx crystal has the same springs, and will get the same improvement. I don't have my crystal yet (it was shipped to another address as a gift for me...) so I can't check.

2.) Metric screws are harder to come by in backwards parts of the world still stuck on English units (i.e. the U.S.). I stopped by the hardware store today and found that a M3x20 screw is pretty close to a 4-40 3/4" machine screw. The 4-40 is slightly smaller in diameter, has fewer threads and is a few mm shorter. I was going to try it but am a bit nervous at messing up the core if it is not large enough. You didn't tap the core, you just screwed in the larger screw and had it tap itself as it went?

3.) The head on the M3x20 screw is pretty large. No problems fitting it under the cap of the megaminx center?

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:31 pm 

You could also try threadlock (I think it's loc-tite brand, but I'm sure there are others). It's a type of superglue made specifically for screw threads to keep them from easily coming out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:39 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
1.) You say the springs are just fine...

OK, I should expand on this a bit. When I say fine, I mean that they are not too tall or something like that; I mean that they fit. I'm not a speedsolver at all--hardly even much of a solver some days :)

So yeah you'd want to replace the springs as well if you want "faster" turns.

DLitwin wrote:
2.) Metric screws are harder to come by in backwards parts of the world still stuck on English units (i.e. the U.S.). I stopped by the hardware store today and found that a M3x20 screw is pretty close to a 4-40 3/4" machine screw. The 4-40 is slightly smaller in diameter, has fewer threads and is a few mm shorter. I was going to try it but am a bit nervous at messing up the core if it is not large enough. You didn't tap the core, you just screwed in the larger screw and had it tap itself as it went?

I just screwed in the M3 screws and in they went--very hillbillie construction company I know, but it works. I would think that re-tapping the hole first would actually require a larger screw, in that by simply using the screw as the tap, I'm re-forming the material already in the hole. If I did it "correctly", I may not have enough material for the threads to bite into. I'm just guessing though...

However, he M3 screws are pusing the limits of what actually fits in the core, so I would think a 4 gauge machine screw would probably even work a little better. Like I say though, I just happen to have a few thousand M3x20 screws lying about, so that's what I'm using.

DLitwin wrote:
3.) The head on the M3x20 screw is pretty large. No problems fitting it under the cap of the megaminx center?

For the pyraminx crystal, this is a non-issue as there are no caps, and the suspended wedges have huge clearance over the centers.

On the megaminx, though, I did have to use some smaller washers (M3x7x.4, which I also have a reasonable supply of kicking around), and it *just* fit. I was actually considering grinding about .5mm off the top of the screw head for good measure, but that would be an extra effort, and I'm always up for a good shortcut :)

Oh, I should also mention that I am using a pan-head screw, pozi drive--when you say the heads are "big", what type of head are you refering to?

Cheers!

Last edited by the.drizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 pm 

TBTTyler wrote:
You could also try threadlock (I think it's loc-tite brand, but I'm sure there are others). It's a type of superglue made specifically for screw threads to keep them from easily coming out.

I did that first, but it didn't seem to take. In my case, I think the local climate may be a factor as well, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:57 pm 

Quote:
1.) I replaced my megaminx springs with the springs from a cheap tiled chinese megaminx and it was a huge improvement.

Thank you Dave!

I have been to a store today and bought 12 pens with their springs and it didnt work very vell, but I DO HAVE 3 Chinese megaminxes with tiles, so now I will
open one and try it:) Thank you for the great tip, since my megaminx have died, but cuz of you now it will come back stronger and more powerful!

<<3 THANKS :D :mrgreen:

Alex

NOW the old Megaminx has awakend from the dead and is better then ever! I am so happy now, I cant belive this, it has inprioved so much I am nervous to lube this little crazy puzzle!

Here is piture :D
Front:

Back:

I dont know how to Thank you Dave, you have helped me loads :wink: Thanks again for the super tip :D

Alex :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
However, he M3 screws are pusing the limits of what actually fits in the core, so I would think a 4 gauge machine screw would probably even work a little better. Like I say though, I just happen to have a few thousand M3x20 screws lying about, so that's what I'm using.

Heh. I have a ton of 0-80 7/16" screws in a bag, but they do me no good for this one :)

the.drizzle wrote:
On the megaminx, though, I did have to use some smaller washers (M3x7x.4, which I also have a reasonable supply of kicking around), and it *just* fit. I was actually considering grinding about .5mm off the top of the screw head for good measure, but that would be an extra effort, and I'm always up for a good shortcut :)

Oh, I should also mention that I am using a pan-head screw, pozi drive--when you say the heads are "big", what type of head are you refering to?

I bought the pan head Phillips, and the head is at least 2mm high, if not 2.5. With the washer (about .5mm) it is 3mm or more. I tried it on my Megaminx and it fit, but basically allowed almost no movement (at which point why have a spring?). The 4-40 (also pan head Phillips) was a bit better, but not much. (And I should have bought the 1" instead of the 3/4", it may be a bit short).

I considered using one of my DIY small washers and having the screw fit inside the center piece hole, but this would really change the performance as with the weaker spring the piece could really move out a good 5mm or more. I would have to get a much shorter screw and it would have to be screwed in further and may require an even weaker spring.

I suppose I could try a flat head with a larger washer to reduce the profile a bit more. It's a shame there is so little room in that piece.

Now I've really gone off topic from Pyraminx to Megaminx. Sorry :( If I get any further info on Megaminx screw replacement I'll start a new topic [and I did, here].

Dave

P.S. Alex: You are welcome! It's good to know all of the dissapointment of the poor quality tiled megaminx can be used to make your Meffert's so much nicer :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:59 pm 

dextir wrote:
Myke wrote:
Rubo d Cubik wrote:
I still haven't received my Crystal :(

You ordered it two months ago...
Probably the people who ordered theirs two months ago haven't recived theirs either.
Be patient.
And can you stop telling us?

Thank you. :wink:

:lol: :twisted: 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:10 pm 

It seems like loosening mine soon after I got it saved me here. I was able to tighten the screw a little and it caught onto the un-stripped threads.

Not permanent though :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:28 pm 

Pembo wrote:
No turn causes an even number of swaps, thus no parity can ever happen.

Did I miss something or did Pembo really get away with that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:31 pm 

i just mine today ordered it on july 7th got it on the 26th

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Pembo wrote:
No turn causes an even number of swaps, thus no parity can ever happen.

Did I miss something or did Pembo really get away with that?

We nail him next time though. I had missed that completely :twisted:

- Per

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:28 pm 

Oh boy, that is embarrassing...

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:13 pm 

I finally ordered myself a White Crystal! :) However it'll be a while since I didn't pay the extra for EMS. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:55 am 

And a constructive post: I can flip two edges in place without any other change to the puzzle in 12 easy turns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:10 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
And a constructive post: I can flip two edges in place without any other change to the puzzle in 12 easy turns.

Hmm... I do this in 8 "turns", but maybe we're counting differently: I count 72-degree and 144-degree turns the same.
(If you count a 144-degree turn as two 72-degree turns, my 2-flip would be 14 72-degree turns...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 am 

No no, I do have 144 degree turns as well. So eight moves? Wow, gotta find those. Best I had seen before was 14 moves, that's why I posted.

Can you also come up with a nice short corner-3cycle? I have one in 14 moves (all fifth turns) and it's ok but I'd still like something shorter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:06 am 

Ah, got it. Probably the same as yours, at least I have 8/14 moves, too. Just needed that little change in thinking. Will try to apply it to the corner-3cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 am 

Can you guys post these algorithms please?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 pm 

Hmm, for some reason I can't get the PLL on the megaminx to work correctly. I'm using the algs from this site.I only have trouble with the permuting the LL corners because whenever I do the alg, it messes up the minx... Are the algs correct? Does (RL') mean R and L' at the same time?

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm 

Noah wrote:
Can you guys post these algorithms please?

C'mon you can find it on your own. But I give you the hint that it's a really simple commutator.

Oh and it can be done in 12 fifth turns as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 am 

This might have been obvious to some, but it just hit me that the Pyraminx Crystal is actually a pretty good analogue of a dodecahedral Pyraminx. I figured out how to solve mine using my Megaminx knowledge and a simple Pyraminx 3 cycle commutator. When you think about it, it makes sense, because both puzzles also use floating edges in a similar way.

Just something I noticed while comparing the 2 puzzles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:46 am 

hence the name pyraminx crystal :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:32 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Can you also come up with a nice short corner-3cycle? I have one in 14 moves (all fifth turns) and it's ok but I'd still like something shorter.

Can't even equal your 14 yet -- I couldn't see how to place a corner in a layer in fewer than 7 turns last night, so the best I could come up with was 16 fifth turns.

Similarly with the 2-flip, when trying to minimize the number of fifth turns: my best was 13 (by combining two 3-cycles of edges), compared with your 12.

Each of the above was the first thing to come to mind, and the rest of the evening was spent failing to find useful variations. It's very easy to get stuck in a loop with these things, but I'll have another shot at it...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:05 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Ah, got it. Probably the same as yours, at least I have 8/14 moves, too.

Actually, I've found two sequences for the 2-flip that need only 8/14 moves. The easier one (no change of grip) uses both U and D moves and only one other face.
Also found a 12/12 commutator solution, perhaps the same as yours.

Must go back and think harder about corner sequences... it seems too early to turn the problem over to the computer, and you'd have to restrict the number of faces used quite severely anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 pm 

Does your corner 3 cycles leave the edges undisturbed, or no?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:51 am 

Noah wrote:
Does your corner 3 cycles leave the edges undisturbed, or no?

Yes, they leave the edges undisturbed.
Operations purely on the corners aren't particularly useful -- if, like me, you solve Impossiball-style (plus a few easy edges in the early stages), then clean up the rest of the edges at the end. But even so, I think it's an interesting puzzle-problem to try to find some reasonably short pure-corner sequences.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:48 pm 

This is my first post; I've been reading regularly since December but just joined. Thanks to Sausage and the member who referred me (I'll leave him anonymous in case he'd soon find himself in Referral City!), and Hi to everyone, especially Steryne, whose 2x3x4 I recently bought on eBay, and Harry, who I see also lives in Exeter.

Stefan Pochmann wrote:

Assuming you don't mind edges moving around within the same layer, 3 adjacent corners can be cycled in 11/13 moves (11 face turns, 13 fifth turns) in {U,R,L}. My other PC algos (I do single-step OC followed by single-step PC for the last 5 corners) are 15/18 in {U,R}, but the lower-right edge of the F face gets moved in the process. For that reason I leave a hole there just in case, then sort out the last 11 edges at the end.

Thanks (you and Mike G) for stirring me to rethink flipping edges; I've figured out 12/12 and 8/14 versions now. While hunting for the 8/14 commutator I accidentally hit on a 10/16 one for a ring of 4 flipped edges around the bottom of the final face. Flip two edges adjacent in the ring in 4 face turns (the P of P Q P' Q'), thus enabling a flipping of all 4 edges in 10/16 moves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:44 pm 

Danny Devitt wrote:
hence the name pyraminx crystal :wink:

Well, I just figured that was because Meffert called everything Pyraminx back when it was invented.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:04 am 

Julian wrote:
Stefan Pochmann wrote:

Assuming you don't mind edges moving around within the same layer

I do mind, it needs to be pure. I uploaded a video last week with some algs including my corner-3cycle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8IigGyvWY
(in the meantime we found shorter algs for "U perms", though)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:47 pm 

Wow, no idea how you can come up with these long algs. Thanks for the alg for flipping two edges. :)

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
I uploaded a video last week with some algs including my corner-3cycle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8IigGyvWY

Nice video! How did you figure out your 14 move pure corner 3-cycle?! Astonishing. (I can see that it's a commutator with 2 fixup moves at the end, but that doesn't help me much!)

Also, I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJgrZ_oSU0 (Pyraminx Crystal - last layer edges) very helpful.

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
(in the meantime we found shorter algs for "U perms", though)

Yes, 3 adjacent edges in the same face can be cycled, without flipping, in 7 moves. The 2nd setup move flows into the usual 3-cycle, saving a face turn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm 

From what I've seen here and at other sites, there isn't an agreed standard notation yet for the Pyraminx Crystal. Here's a suggestion:

Place the puzzle on a flat surface so it is sitting on the brown face and the yellow face is facing you.

F = Yellow
U = Red
L = Dark Blue
R = Orange

Just like a Rubik's cube so far. Above and below L are UL and DL; above and below R are UR and DR:

UL = Dark Green
UR = Purple
DL = Pink
DR = Green

Just out of sight to the left is BL, and just out of sight to the right is BR:

BL = Pale Blue
BR = Blue

And finally, underneath is D and right at the back is B:

D = Brown
B = White

-----------------------------------------------------------

Using this notation, the 8 move double edge flip demonstrated by Stefan in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8IigGyvWY is:

DR2' D2 DR2' U' DR2 D2' DR2 U

And rotating to F= yellow, U = green, Stefan's 14 move pure corner 3-cycle from the same video is:

R L' (U'D) F UR' R' UR F' (UD') L R' F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 am 

Both the black and the white one are out of stock now, boy am I happy that I was able to order them in time. Got the parcel on saturday ...

Cheers

Takrl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm 

Julian wrote:
How did you figure out your 14 move pure corner 3-cycle?! Astonishing. (I can see that it's a commutator with 2 fixup moves at the end, but that doesn't help me much!)

Actually that's just a commutator. Here's how I replace one corner in the top layer with a corner not from the top layer in six moves:

- First two moves to get a top layer corner out of the top layer.
- Slice move (= two moves) to replace it with some other corner. Must be slice move because there's still a top layer edge right under the top layer corner.
- Two moves (inverse of the first two) to get the new corner into the top layer (and restore the rest of the top layer).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:46 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Here's how I replace one corner in the top layer with a corner not from the top layer in six moves:

- First two moves to get a top layer corner out of the top layer.
- Slice move (= two moves) to replace it with some other corner. Must be slice move because there's still a top layer edge right under the top layer corner.
- Two moves (inverse of the first two) to get the new corner into the top layer (and restore the rest of the top layer).

Thanks - I see it now. Thinking about it, unless I'm missing something, there can't be a pure corner 3-cycle shorter than 14 moves.

1 - It takes 3 moves to detach all the neighbouring edges from one of the corners to be moved.
2 - It takes 3 moves to re-attach neighbouring edges for that corner at its new location.
3 - The pieces of the puzzle that have been scrambled by the above 6 moves need to be unscrambled, and the fastest way to do this is to undo the 6 moves.
4 - If we simply undo the 6 moves, we get back to the solved state, so we must introduce an extra turn (in this case, to set up another corner).
5 - Upon reversing the 6 moves, the extra turn must be undone.
6 - Therefore a minimum of 14 moves are required for a Pyraminx Crystal pure corner 3-cycle.

I realise that the above is not a proper proof but I'm pretty sure the logic is sound.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 pm 

Thinking more about solving the last 10 edges... how about solving the ring of 5 edges around the bottom of the last face ahead of the upper 5 edges? That's 18 short algos including mirror images (a maximum of 9 different places the first lower edge could be if not in its correct position, in one of 2 orientations).

From the table I wrote up tonight, an edge can be moved from one lower/ring position to another in 8 fifth turns, but it takes only an average of 7.2 fifth turns to move an edge from an upper position to a lower position. This, combined with the gradually increased likelihood that an edge is already in the correct position the further one goes, means of course that the average turn count decreases from the first lower edge to the fifth. I calculate that the overall average is 6.45 fifth turns to place each lower/ring edge this way. By giving preference to lower edges positioned in an upper position and solving those first, the average move count would be pushed down further. Then the 5 upper edges are a quick solve with their own algos/tricks.

[Edit: Corrected a goof with my calculation. Also, for clarification, I assume that we ignore any lower edge that is in the correct position but flipped, and flip it at the end.]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:06 pm 

I always solve it that way (5 edges in the ring and then the last 5 on the same face). [Btw, I am talking about virtual solving since I still haven't gotten mine. However, I am on vacation so it will probably be waiting for me when I get back.]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:00 am 

Hi :-)

Flip algs for praminx has been discussed elsewhere. Anyone has a good short multiflipper for the pyra crystal?? I mean an alg that flips 4 or 6 or ... any other 2k number of edges. Flipping an odd number of edges is impossible - at least without any side effects !! :P

- Per

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:53 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
Anyone has a good short multiflipper for the pyra crystal?? I mean an alg that flips 4 or 6 or ... any other 2k number of edges. Flipping an odd number of edges is impossible - at least without any side effects !! :P

- Per

4 edges in a ring around a face can be flipped in 10 face turns: DL+ DR-- DL-- DR+ U++ DR- DL++ DR++ DL- U--

(e.g. U = yellow, DL = light blue, DR = brown, with the Meffert version)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm 

I guess this can go here,
I preordered a pyraminx crystal wayyyy back when in December and I never got it... so I used the contact us on Mefferts but no response, and its been a few days. Anyone know an alternate email i can try? Thanks I'd just like my money back if possible because I don't really want it anymore... its been too long haha
-Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 pm 

cliffahn wrote:
I guess this can go here,
I preordered a pyraminx crystal wayyyy back when in December and I never got it... so I used the contact us on Mefferts but no response, and its been a few days. Anyone know an alternate email i can try? Thanks I'd just like my money back if possible because I don't really want it anymore... its been too long haha
-Cliff

mpg@mefferts.com
mpg2net@gmail.com,
jing@mefferts.com,
support@mefferts.com
...courtesy of wwwmwww. Post can be seen here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:30 pm 

If anyone has some nice Pyraminx Crystal patterns could they please post how to do them or send me a PM. I especially liked dextir's.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:06 pm 

Well one obvious one is the superflip which can easily be accomplished by just flipping edges 2 at a time (or more at a time if you have an alg I guess).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:22 pm 

The only interesting pattern that I've done so far is just inverting all of the edge pieces, as shown in my avatar/icon. I don't have an algorithm to do it, I just kind of did it intuitively.

Attachments:
black.jpg
black.jpg [ 34.97 KiB | Viewed 3064 times ]
white.jpg
white.jpg [ 33.97 KiB | Viewed 3064 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:28 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
The only interesting pattern that I've done so far is just inverting all of the edge pieces, as shown in my avatar/icon. I don't have an algorithm to do it, I just kind of did it intuitively.

Whoa... that looks MUCH better on the black crystal for some reason. On the white it just looks odd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next