Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

It seems the Cubesmith shop has some new products in

Quote:
Pyraminx Vinyl sets and singles
Round Vinyl 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5 sets and singles
Black and Standard color replacement tiles and logos
Megaminx singles
Keychain Cube Singles
Harry Potter 2x2x2 Cube Singles
Rubik's Cube Earrings
Studio Logos
You'll find light, grey scale, and white cube vinyl sticker sets for
2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, and keychain cubes,
as well as 2 new colors: bright orange and bright blue.

Some cool stuff! Pyraminx stickers, round stickers, megaminx singles, cube earrings... interesting.

Post subject: Re: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

sweet!

Too bad he doesnt have some Rubik's cube plugs, my lobes are about 5/8 of an inch too big for those girly things, :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:12 pm 

Awesome, now I can choose a better color scheme for my megaminx!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:09 pm 

tattooed wrote:
sweet!

Too bad he doesnt have some Rubik's cube plugs, my lobes are about 5/8 of an inch too big for those girly things, :lol:

Maybe you can just put the cubes in your ear holes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 pm 

I need some bandage cube tiles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:15 pm 

flambore wrote:
tattooed wrote:
sweet!

Maybe you can just put the cubes in your ear holes.

I'm actually trying to convince my friend who owns an organic body jewelry company to carve me some functional rubik's style plugs, it would be killer to be able to change color and pattern, plus it would certainly up my twisty puzzle exp. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm 

Still no magic strings... :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 pm 

Speaking of Cubesmith, I have had an idea for making a cube mod that requires stickers that are the exact same size as Fisher cube stickers and I need 16 different colors, sets of three, of the small rectangular stickers, does anyone have any7 idea how much this might cost or if he would even be willing to make them?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 pm 

You could always cut them out of Vinyl Sheets, which cost $1.50 or $2.50 each on cubesmith.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:50 pm 

I would prefer not to do that. there are a total of 18 colors I would need and I would prefer to have them machine cut because I cannot cut straight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:57 pm 

Hey everybody :D
I'm Crystal. I'm a friend of Chris' (Cubesmith). I've been working for him for about 3 years now, and have been helping him out with Cubesmith for about the last year and a half. I don't know much about the puzzles themselves, and couldn't solve one if my life depended on it, but I help Chris with making the stickers and tiles, and with keeping the website updated, and answering emails, and filling orders. I know Chris hasn't had much time to keep up on the forums here, or much of anything cube-related lately, but I try to browse through here regularly to get an idea of what you guys want/need and what's going on in the cubing community.
Anyway, I wanted to post here regarding the new update and to let everyone know that we are working on trying to get new things on the site all the time. Just maintaining stock levels on what we are already selling seems to take up most of our time, though...
As far as magic strings go, we know you guys want them - they sold like crazy when we had them - but we can't find a good deal on the puzzles to make it worth parting them out. Don't worry, we're still looking.
As for Rubik's cube plugs, I feel your pain - I have gauged ears, too, and hate it when I can only find something in a girly post or dangle style...If we find plugs, we'll put them up :D
We've got a list of new things we're trying to add, including spanish calendar cubes and half-truncated cube sets...Let us know if there's anything else you guys want and we'll see what we can do.
Tanimal (and anyone else who wants custom stickers), if you want stickers in a shape we already offer, but in a color we don't offer it in, just send us an email and we'll see what can be done. Please be specific as to what you want in your email so we don't have to send a bunch of messages back and forth for clarification.
I guess that's all for now. If you guys have any questions for me or Cubesmith, you can respond here - I'll be checking back in on this thread.
Happy cubing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:07 pm 

Welcome to the board Crystal!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 am 

I'm glad to hear they might be making half truncated cube stickers. I was just looking to see if someone could make me some. It's also nice to have another link into cubesmith. THANK YOU.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:25 pm 

How about textured stickers?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:30 pm 

RedZero wrote:

Ugh... :? I get this question so much it makes me crazy!!! Problem is, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm sure you know about the textured tiles and aren't talking about those, but the only other kind of textured stickers we can think of is grip tape (like for skateboards), which I've been let know several times is not what you guys want (and wouldn't work anyway). Does anyone have a link to a picture, or even better a description of the material you're talking about? If you can find it, we'll look into it, but we just don't know what you're referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:39 pm 

Textured stickers -

The only ones I know of are the ones Meffert uses on the skewbs/ultimate skewb.

Tony Fisher had used them before as well - if I remember correctly he did get them from Cubesmith. ;)

hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm 

I talked to Chris about it, and he says the only stickers he's done for Tony were the regular stickers laminated with clear. He says he knows the material you're referring to (for the skewb), but hasn't ever seen it anywhere for sale. We'll keep looking, but if anyone finds it, send me a link.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
RedZero wrote:

Ugh... :? I get this question so much it makes me crazy!!! Problem is, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm sure you know about the textured tiles and aren't talking about those, but the only other kind of textured stickers we can think of is grip tape (like for skateboards), which I've been let know several times is not what you guys want (and wouldn't work anyway). Does anyone have a link to a picture, or even better a description of the material you're talking about? If you can find it, we'll look into it, but we just don't know what you're referring to.

Lol sorry, I didn't know this was a constant request.
The only picture I can think of is the cube4you one on:
http://www.cube4you.com/index.php?gOo=g ... oodsid=172

Btw, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's truncate stickers? Are they different from transparent stickers? If so, transparent stickers would be awesome too!

Hope this helps,
RedZero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:43 am 

RedZero wrote:
Btw, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's truncate stickers? Are they different from transparent stickers? If so, transparent stickers would be awesome too!

Hope this helps,
RedZero

The stickers themselves are not truncated. They mean a sticker set for a half truncated cube. Heres the link to the one Tatoo made recently.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9517

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 am 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=63rER6cL5Rk just watch the first 30 seconds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 pm 

Taylor, is it a Rubik's core you are after?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:40 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Taylor, is it a Rubik's core you are after?

That's the only kind Cubesmith has ever carried.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm 

We will have the 4x4x4 cores available very soon (I'll try to remember to post here when I have them available).
The problem is that with 1 core (which sells quickly) comes all the pieces (which don't sell as quickly). We already have a big box full of extra parts, so it doesn't make much sense to order full cubes just for the cores when the pieces won't sell for a while. As soon as our parts run low we order more cubes, but even then, only the center pieces really ever run low, so we still have a bunch of edges and corners, and no centers or cores.
As for the textured stickers, sorry if I came off snappy about that, it's just frustrating when everyone's asking about it and we can't find it anywhere. I've seen what cube4you has, and it just looks like grip tape to us. We may have to order a set just to see what's up, but we still can't find anyone selling any textured vinyl other than grip tape...any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:33 pm 

I always thought the smooth vinyl provided enough grip as it is. The stickers I've received from cube4you seem to be just junk.

I can envision what people mean by textured vinyl, but even if you find it, I guessing some people will argue they don't like the texture and whatnot. Plus, the texture has to be uniform in both size and direction, otherwise people could potentially use it to "mark" their cubes.

The only thing that I wish would come back is custom made stickers. I really wish I ordered them when they were still available. I just want a "Bryan's Cube" in the 80's style logo. Even if the price increased a bit (or I didn't get full sets, just the logo stickers) I would be fine with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm 

Bryan wrote:
The stickers I've received from cube4you seem to be just junk.

It seems to be just me, but my best cube is one with cube4you stickers on it. I like them. I might have to buy a set or two of cubesmith, cos I want a crazy coloured cube, with pinks and stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:47 pm 

joey wrote:
It seems to be just me, but my best cube is one with cube4you stickers on it. I like them. I might have to buy a set or two of cubesmith, cos I want a crazy coloured cube, with pinks and stuff!

Maybe he's changed recently. But when I ordered 6 DIY's I had 6 different shade of yellow stickers, a few different shades of blue, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:51 pm 

Oh right. I was talking about the actually texture/quality etc of the stickers. I (a few months ago) ordered 7 DIY's, and it had all the same shades.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:50 pm 

So how about transparent stickers too? I'm sure people would want them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm 

Why would anyone want transparent stickers?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8817&hilit=+transparent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:23 pm 

Actually, a lot of people have asked about transparent stickers. We got some material that was supposed to be transparent, but wasn't, so we're still working on it. We found something that should work and hope to have it available soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:17 pm 

Is it possible to make a logo set with the logo here (in the white)?

Void Cube
| avg of 12: 32.10
| PB : 22.92 np PLL skip
| PB2 : 26.75 np no skips

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi Crystal, welcome to the forum! I've been using Chris' stickers and textured tiles for a while now and really like them and I get excited every time he adds more colors or stickers for other puzzles. I do have a small list of sticker sets that I would love to see him make but I'm not sure if there is really enough demand to justify Chris making them. Perhaps some others can jump in to say if they would want any of these or not:

Stickers for the magic octahedron. Many collectors on this forum have these puzzles from their original run, a lot of which were purchased off of ebay over the past year or two. I'm not sure if they are all this way, but all of them that I've seen on ebay seem to have poorly placed stickers with a few of them misaligned or just too close to an edge, not centered on each face as they should be. Because of the age of these puzzles, I've been afraid to try to peel off any of the original stickers in order to properly center them for fear of destroying the stickers. I also believe (though someone who has one may want to verify this) that the new octahedrons that Scott Bedard is making would use the same size replacement stickers, so more and more of these puzzles are getting into the hands of members of this forum.

Stickers for Eastsheen’s mini 2x2x2 (and therefore the 2x2x2x2, 2x2x2x3, and 2x2x2x4, etc). Chris makes stickers for the large Eastsheen 2x2x2 which I have used because I really don’t care for Eastcheen’s colors and would gladly replace all of the stickers on my collection of mini 2x2x2s.

Stickers for Alaxander’s Star. By design this puzzle is harsh on stickers. The standard stickers have sharply pointed corners, which I think help lead to the problem. Perhaps slightly rounded corners would help. Also, there are so many surfaces on these puzzles that a good selection of many colors (the standard pattern only uses 6 colors) could help us create some really nice custom arrangements. I know that a 20 color variation is popular.

Shepherd’s Cube stickers for 2x2x2, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. One of my favorite sticker mods needs to grow :)

Textured tiles for 2x2x2. I know that Chris has stated that creating a new die for cutting the tiles takes a lot of time and effort, but it’s something to think about, depending on demand of course.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 am 

Ya know what I would love to see? Tiles for the Pyraminx, and shiny/prism stickers for the various cubes. You know, those that are colored and have a chrome-like background, but when you turn them in the light, they reflect various colors within that color (like lots of blues).

like this: http://image.funexpress.com/feimg/9_268b.jpg (without the smilies) :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:05 pm 

1. Translucent 3x3 stickers.
2. Shiny 3x3 stickers.
3. Textured shapes, or some type of sticker that will allow people to solve 3x3 cubes with their eyes closed or in the dark.

http://www.cube4you.com
http://www.omega.url.tw/onlineshop
http://www.edsthinkshop.com/twisty/rubiksforsale.html
http://www.rubikshop.com
http://www.rubikskorea.com
http://sites.webec.com.hk/meffert

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 pm 

Hey guys...Haven't checked in here in a while, I've been super busy trying to keep up with all the orders since all the new items were added to the site.
Geez, I don't know what you guys do to your stickers that you have to order so many so often, but ease up would you? :wink: J/K...but we've been a little more behind than usual, so I haven't really had the time to talk to Chris about any of the stuff you guys want. But I like that this has sort of turned into a request thread...Like I said, I'm not a Cuber, and I know Chris has had a hard time lately keeping up with the cube community, so we're not really as in touch with what's out there and what you guys want/need as I know Chris used to be. All requests posted here will be seriously considered, since you guys are the serious cubers and represent the majority of Cubesmith customers. That being said, I'm of to compile a list of the requests so far so I can bug Chris with it!
Happy Cubing! :scrambled:

Oh yeah, about the Rubik's cube logo that fusion was asking about, we know everyone wants them and that they would sell well, but we're just not set up for multi-colored printing right now, so it's not an option right now. Sorry...I'll get back to you guys on everything else

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:27 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Stickers for Eastsheen’s mini 2x2x2 (and therefore the 2x2x2x2, 2x2x2x3, and 2x2x2x4, etc). Chris makes stickers for the large Eastsheen 2x2x2 which I have used because I really don’t care for Eastcheen’s colors and would gladly replace all of the stickers on my collection of mini 2x2x2s.

Eastsheen 5x5 stickers = Mini 2x2x2 stickers. I stickered my Cubie Chaos (made with mini 2x2s) with 5x5 stickers and it worked out perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Oh yeah, about the Rubik's cube logo that fusion was asking about, we know everyone wants them and that they would sell well, but we're just not set up for multi-colored printing right now, so it's not an option right now. Sorry...I'll get back to you guys on everything else

Thats alright. I plan to use your Studio Cube logos like Superman does here on the forum. Only since I want a Rubik's Cube logo on one of my cubes. Thanks

Adam

Void Cube
| avg of 12: 32.10
| PB : 22.92 np PLL skip
| PB2 : 26.75 np no skips

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:31 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
Eastsheen 5x5 stickers = Mini 2x2x2 stickers. I stickered my Cubie Chaos (made with mini 2x2s) with 5x5 stickers and it worked out perfectly.
Wow, I never noticed that they are the same size. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:04 pm 

I keep hoping he'll produce 4x4 and 5x5 shepard stickers

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:27 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Geez, I don't know what you guys do to your stickers that you have to order so many so often
Here's what I do with them:

viewtopic.php?p=98633#p98633

With the exception of the transparent cube, the two 4-color cubes near it, and the 9 color "Armageddon" cube near them, all of the custom and re-stickered cubes in my collection use Cubesmith stickers or textured tiles. For many of the cubes, I started with regular stickers and then cut them into halves, thirds, or quarters to make the different sticker patterns. Presently I have 6 more cubes of various sizes which have been stripped of their original (crappy) stickers and are going to have some different/unique sticker patters applied to them. I am also in the process of building my first real cube mods and those too will have Cubesmith stickers applied though some will require me to cut my own from the vinyl sheets that Chris sold me.

Like I said above, I get excited when he offers new colors, printed sticker sets, or stickers for other puzzles as this just opens the doors to new ideas.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:07 pm 

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the 4x4x4 cores should be going up next week, so check the site for updates on that...There will only be 5, and once they're gone, they may not be back for a few more months. I'll post here next week once they're available.
Also, we have plans for 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 Shepherd's sets, but I'm not sure when they'll be available. As soon as we have the time we'll be creating artwork and printing them.
We have a new color which will be available soon - light purple. It's somewhere between the purple and lavender shades. We've been looking into different kinds of material, as it's been requested many times. We hope to have the transparent material available soon, as well as some different colors of the reflective material (similar to the chrome and gold).
Ruben King cube sticker sets will be available soon (I hope to have them on the site by next week).
We're working on a few other things, as well, but nothing definite yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 pm 

Thank you for the update!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:52 pm 

Any chance Chris will be doing Eastsheen 2x2 tiles?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm 

And supercube stickers... please :( I want supercube stickers :(

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:20 pm 

they have super cube stickers on cube4you

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:08 am 

flambore wrote:

I am not informed on Cubesmith's exact infrastructure, but I don't think this can be too hard. I imagine Chris has an automated plotter cutter of some sort so he could just output the eastsheen 2x2 sticker file and cut tile material.
That having been said though, perhaps for tiles he cuts it with expensive die cutting equipment which would require a new die. I'm sure there is some problem or we've had them.

Also - an idea
Some sort of applet that allows you to colour the sides of a blank cube using the colours that cubesmith stickers come in to see how it looks. Yes, a novelty but fun

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:25 pm 

QUINBLZ wrote:
they have super cube stickers on cube4you

Not stickers, just cubes.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 pm 

Bounb wrote:
flambore wrote:

I am not informed on Cubesmith's exact infrastructure, but I don't think this can be too hard. I imagine Chris has an automated plotter cutter of some sort so he could just output the eastsheen 2x2 sticker file and cut tile material.
That having been said though, perhaps for tiles he cuts it with expensive die cutting equipment which would require a new die. I'm sure there is some problem or we've had them.

Also - an idea
Some sort of applet that allows you to colour the sides of a blank cube using the colours that cubesmith stickers come in to see how it looks. Yes, a novelty but fun

The tiles are actually made the second way you described, with an expensive die to punch the pattern in the plastic. We get requests all the time for different tile sets, but it wouldn't be financially profitable to order a die for every puzzle. That being said, Eastsheen 2x2x2 is the puzzle we get the most requests for and will be the next tile set we will be offering...We're just not sure when. Right now it's hard enough to keep the 3 standard sizes in the 2 different materials in stock, but we're trying to make things more efficient all the time.

As for the virtual cube...hehehe, yeah, as soon as I have the time :wink: If one of you guys want to design one, I'd have nothing against using it :lol:

The supercubes....Ugh! Another one everyone is always asking about. We're working on it. We had someone make them a while back, but they were really low quality, so we're trying some new methods. Again, it's a matter of finding the time to devote to it, but it is high on our priority list.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:25 pm 

Ok, cubesmith girl.... I as any other puzzler love my puzzles. And when I have a puzzle or cube which I think is the ultimate... I like to put cubesmith tiles on it. I have maybe 10 3x3x3s of various colors outfitted in tiles, 3 4x4x4's and 3 5x5x5 with your tiles as well.

How much does it cost to get a die?

I would be willing to donate 30 to 40 bucks to help Chris get the die. I REALLY want my 2x2x2's to have tiles as well!

If other members of the cubing community also pitched in. lets say maybe 10 people throw in 30 bucks, or 20 people throw in 15 bucks.... raising 300 dollars... just a ballpark figure here....would that maybe be enough to get a die? Or am I way off and It's like 2 thousand dollars to get a die?

Just an Idea, I think it'd be really cool to help out the infamous cubesmith.

Thanks for reading..

Matt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next