Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic World Cup (Football Magic)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:51 pm 

Here I present another neat magic which I had in mind and had promised to do since last June (link here). While stringing other magics, I decided to do this project and get it off my heavy todo list.

As I have stated, I used the background of my all time favourite arcade game made by Tehkan (the company's name today is Tecmo), and the name of this game is (surprise surprise) "Tehkan World Cup". I have actually dedicated an entire site for this game, as well as being the holder of the MARP record (since 2001).

Back to the puzzle. There are two solved states. As expected, one solved state is the football pitch itself. And the other state is the goal posts. In the second solved state, I have placed some small grass pieces that indicate which part is supposed to be at the bottom (although the supposed shape should already be clear by the strategically placed white bars). I hope you enjoy the pictures:

Football pitch solved state.

Football pitch scrambled state.

Goals solved state.

Emphasising the grass part at the bottom.

Back view of the goals solved state.

So it seems my trademark blue football player has finally found his home!

:lol:

Pantazis

PS I always use "football" (which is the correct term for a sport that mostly uses a ball with feet) instead of "soccer". In fact, from personal experience, about 95% of the people who use the word "soccer" usually don't know how to play this sport LOL

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm 

lololol create the bench lololol

Nice one!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAL!

Seriously though, another nice magic, is this the standard bench transformation or what?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:24 pm 

i love the shape. :wink:

PEMBO: THere are a few different ways to achive this shape. I find that it can be done extremely quicky. If you have a 6 tile magic with you i think you could find this shape quickly, but it may not have all the tiles in to right position to make the goal.

Last edited by Jesse Werner on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

Jesse Werner wrote:
I find that it can me dont extremely quicky.

Lawl.

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm 

Blackmetalcubist wrote:
Jesse Werner wrote:
I find that it can me dont extremely quicky.

Lawl.

oops :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks for pointing this out to me. I fixed my post.

EDIT: I fixed this post too...

There is no hope for me... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by Jesse Werner on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:31 pm 

Jesse Werner wrote:
fort

There is no hope for this forum... :roll:
(and that was supposed to be a post correcting your previous mistake, right???)

Regarding the magic, yes there are many different configurations for the two solved states, but only a unique solution (such that the paper tiles are in correct position) per solved state.

And Pembo, the "Build the Bench" is an 8-tile magic. This one is a 6-tile. But if you disregard two of the tiles, the shape can be the same.

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:45 am 

Jesse Werner wrote:
i
THere
i
in to right position

Not just you, everyone might consider composing their posts in a word processor first. It should catch these sort of problems automatically. Taking the small amount of time initially will save you the trouble of going back to edit or looking foolish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:16 pm 

ferrari wrote:
This is a 6tile magic so does it/have the ability to make a cube?

it can make a cube. go to pantazis's site for the move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 pm 

I was just wondering why there has been a recent crack down on the spelling in this forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:08 pm 

Ranaakamarth wrote:
I was just wondering why there has been a recent crack down on the spelling in this forum?

There hasn't been. It is just that none of the recent users use correct grammar nor spelling.

Pantazis, that is a very nice magic! I do like the grass details! Now make a Rugby themed Magic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:35 pm 

joey wrote:
Ranaakamarth wrote:

There hasn't been. It is just that none of the recent users use correct grammar nor spelling.

Pantazis, that is a very nice magic! I do like the grass details! Now make a Rugby themed Magic!!

You could also make an american football one. Have the second solved state be a goal post. If you don't want to make one, I will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:28 am 

Thanks guys!

That was propably the last *flat* 6-tile magic theme for me. Don't count out some 6-tile magics with different mechanisms! You may try to make rugby, gridiron, or any other sport magics you would like, I would love to see the results!

Regarding the spelling issue: I don't want anyone to take it personally. But guys, please don't give a hard time to international members, and please, use proper grammar and spelling.

:)

Pantazis

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:14 pm 

Jesse Werner wrote:
There are a few different ways to achieve this shape. I find that it can be done extremely quickly. If you have a 6 tile magic with you i think you could find this shape quickly, but it may not have all the tiles in to right position to make the goal.

Allow me to bump this thread as I found something extremely interesting while stringing
a new batch of Magic World Cups.

I accidentally stringed one of them the reverse way. That would not matter for a magic with 4n tiles,
but for a magic with 4n+2 tiles, where n is odd (e.g. six tiles) there is some small symmetry issue.
You could *still* achieve the "goals" solved status, but this time, things are not easy.

I managed to find only two paths to the solution, but both of them are not easy.
(1) The first one requires some SERIOUS stretching of two corners simoulteneously, while
(2) the second one requires some interestingly lengthy path, without any string stretching.
(Therefore, the second path is recommended LOL).

I just wanted to mention this interesting fact, and that I decided from now on, to string all of them
with the new stringing way.

:)

Pantazis

Post subject: Re: Magic World Cup (Football Magic)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 pm 

Very interesting.

How much longer could the solution actually be? I mean it's only 6 tiles. I have a "standard" six tile magic with the unlinked rings on one side and the linked on the other. If I were to reverse string it, I don't really see how much longer the solution could be.

-d

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 pm 

darryl wrote:
Very interesting.

How much longer could the solution actually be? I mean it's only 6 tiles. I have a "standard" six tile magic with the unlinked rings on one side and the linked on the other. If I were to reverse string it, I don't really see how much longer the solution could be.

-d

The solution state is the key here. If it was a cube, its symmetry won't give any problems.
But if the solution shape was the "goals" shape, then it is a different story.

To be more specific, try to achieve the "goals" shape. And when you do this, try to achieve
the same shape, but this time, with the tiles inside out (*and* with the same orientation!).

You will need some extra moves (unless you are happy to directly - dangerously - stretch the corners).

;)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:58 pm 

Ahh! that makes perfect sense. I will give that a try when I get home.
I wasn't even thinking the solution wasn't flat. I should have known better!

-d