Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Golden Cube construction
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:22 pm 

Before the next Golden Cube auction starts I am posting the pictures from the one-off booklet I made for the last auction. The photos go from the making of the new moulds to a completed Cube. The master pieces shown in the 2nd photo were made several years ago. They were carefully sculptured from solid resin. The pictures are meant as a record only and not an instruction manual. I now know there are better ways to construct such a puzzle and wouldn't advise anyone to copy it.

Sorry about the download time. I guess I should have put it in the articles section.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:30 pm 

More photos.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:37 pm 

More photos.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 pm 

More photos

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:51 pm 

More photos

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:59 pm 

More!

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:03 pm 

last ,

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:15 pm 

Where do you get the remeltable PVC rubber?
That would be ideal, and a whole lot cheaper, than making silicone molds all the time.
Also, the Glass. Absolutely brilliant!
Hats off to you!

TBTTyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 pm 

:shock:

[insert stunned silence here]

Oh wow.

Thank you very much for the look into some of your methods. Simply incredible, masterful work.

Inspiring as well. :)

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm 

Incredible report!

It is simply amazing..........

I would like to have this hands... heheheheh

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:54 pm 

Tony, brilliant photo sequence. Thanks for sharing this info. The remeltable PVC rubber is a completely new take for me, a first real alternative to silicone rubber that I have seen.

Using glass has never occured to me either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:30 pm 

Tony, this is very cool

Maybe you could give us some instructions for your other puzzles, like your icosahedron, dodecahedron 3x3x3, or your mental block :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:10 pm 

The original remeltable rubber I used was called Gelflex. I think this has now been replaced by the PVC (available from UK company Trylon) you see in the photos. The old stuff was never easy to work with. It shrinks, and in an uneven way, If it gets too hot it gives off masses of fumes and is unusable. Unfortunately the new stuff is worse. It seems to have much less strength and all the moulds you see in the photos were destroyed during the last casting. I used my normal release agent but for some reason it didn't work and the rubber had to be cut away from the pieces. It's a method that leaves you tearing your hair out sometimes. That is why nowadays I try where possible to use the plastic (polystyrene)sheet method. It is handy however to have another method as a backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:19 pm 

I am finally convinced now, that Tony is a wizard! :D

This is some AWESOME puzzle building story!!!

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:51 am 

I hate to say it but I'd probably tear out the last remaining wisps of hair out from the top of my head if I had to make a puzzle in this way. This is part of the reason why I shied away from mold making rather quickly. However it is still great to see the painstaking process that must be endured for the sake of the hobby. Thank you very much for a glimpse into your methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:27 am 

Whether to mould or not to mould often depends on the quantity to be made. If I was to make just one Golden Cube from scratch now I would use plastic sheet but to make 30 again as I did originally, that's an awful lot of funny shaped pieces of plastic to accurately cut and fit together. Despite what I said before "there are better ways" I guess I would do it the same way. In the future I would very much like to make some more 3x3x3 dodecahedrons. I am as yet undecided as to whether to mould or use plastic sheet. For this puzzle neither technique stands out as being better than the other.

Here's a NEW video showing the assembly of a Golden Cube. This is from the next auction which starts Wednesday 22nd Feb (or Thursday for some).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3563066511

or for my German friends-

http://rapidshare.de/files/13143829/gol ... p.mpg.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:06 pm 

Hey Tony,

I can't wait to try out this casting method. Any suggestions for someone just starting out (above and beyond what's available here)?

Also, I was looking at Trylon's website. Would you suggest any of their resins? The colour the site offers, is that good for any resin, or just the ones they carry?

Again, beautiful work.

-Adam-

After that, I went into a bit of a decline.
<i>Marvin the Paranoid Android</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:09 am 

Tony,

Simply incredible.

I think something like this should be in the Articles section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:54 am 

Wronginthehead wrote

Quote:
I can't wait to try out this casting method. Any suggestions for someone just starting out (above and beyond what's available here)?

Also, I was looking at Trylon's website. Would you suggest any of their resins? The colour the site offers, is that good for any resin, or just the ones they carry

For someone starting out I would strongly advise you not to use my method. Remember I am making small batches of each puzzle so I need to have some sort of mini mass production technique where possible. It took me many months to make the master pieces for the Golden Cube and first set of moulds. Once finished I could then knock the puzzles out at a steady rate. I strongly advise newcomers to use plastic sheet (High Impact Polystyrene) (There was a discussion about this a while ago on the forum. I think it was in one of Tim Browne's posts). It's just a case of making little "boxes" from it and attaching them to the puzzle you are transforming. Anthony Greenhill has only ever used this technique and look at the amazing puzzles he has made. My original Mental Blocks were made from resin. For my new ones however I have used plastic sheet. For this puzzle the construction time has been similar but it has resulted in a much lighter puzzle.
BTW It is very unlikely that any company would post resin to the USA. Even within the UK it has to be sent by courier. Also, the resin I use is not from Trylon. It is from auto repair shops. I only use Trylon for the rubber and release agent. The other stuff comes from a number of different places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:22 pm 

For first Time mold makers the recommendation is to use silicone molds with two part polyurethane resin. They are relatively safe and easy to handle and will yield great results. There is a lot of good information about this in the articles section of this website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 pm 

since you suggest using plastic card so much more than molds, i was wondering if you could post some pics of the puzzle making process using plastic card. It doesn't matter what puzzle, i think we would just kind of like to see plastic card in action. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:40 pm 

Wow Tony, thank you again.

I would love to see so stuff about how to use (and where to order online) plastic sheet to build with.

Since my 3x3x5 build, I had been thinking molding would be easier :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:10 pm 

How long does this process take. Can you complete one of these puzzles a day? Or more? Or Less? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:11 pm 

Ryan, It's so difficult to put a time on it. I seldom work on just one puzzle. I will for example fill in air bubble holes and while the resin sets work on something else. Later I'll come back and clean it up and fill any areas I've missed. In addition the moulds have to be remade every few cubes since they don't last long. Also, the original process of making each of the 14 different shaped parts from scratch from which the moulds can be made was a hugely time consuming task. If you averaged the whole process out it's probably a few weeks per cube.