Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Experiment to test pressure cooker for dyeing WSF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:38 am 

Dyeing polished WSF black is hard. I've had trouble with it and so have many others. This has sparked a few threads about the subject.

Some time ago I bought a nice 15 PSI pressure cooker to help dye parts black but I never got around to actually testing head-to-head with the standard process to see if it really did better. Well, today I found the time to run the test and I made a video of it:

Video: Dyeing Polished Shapeways WSF Parts in a Pressure Cooker

I decided to test both parts I've polished as well as parts Shapeways has polished. I used two black Rit dye packs in each pot and left them on the stove for an hour. The end result was that the pressure cooker did significantly better for the parts I polished and somewhat better for the parts Shapeways polished.

I did not use any vinegar and I don't think 1 hour was enough time to dye the parts. I know from experience that if I'd dyed the parts with vinegar for longer in the pressure cooker it would have made them a deeper black. I think this experiment demonstrates that the higher pressure and higher temperature of the pressure cooker does help a lot for dyeing polished WSF.

I think if Shapeways got themselves a big industrial sized autoclave (and did some experimentation with acids like vinegar, dyes, and time) they could dye their WSFP material a deep black.

My pressure cooker is the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry 15-1/2 Quart All American Pressure Cooker/Canner.

Post subject: Re: Experiment to test pressure cooker for dyeing WSF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
I think if Shapeways got themselves a big industrial sized autoclave (and did some experimentation with acids like vinegar, dyes, and time) they could dye their WSFP material a deep black.

Or they could try printing with black powder, with the powdered dye already included. Surprised they don't do this already.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 am 

The Rit website recommends using white vinegar with nylon to achieve a deeper colour. I think that you cannot use black nylon powder because the laser sintering process would either not work well or it would cause the dye to seperate (or change colour) from the nylon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm 

Gus wrote:
The Rit website recommends using white vinegar with nylon to achieve a deeper colour.

Yeah but I didn't have any vinegar in the house and I wanted to keep the variables to a minimum since I already was using a different amount of water in each.

My assumption is that if the pressure cooker works better without vinegar, it will work better with it too.

I don't have any more WSFP prints to test with right now and putting the already-dyed parts back in to see if they get blacker is not a good test.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:43 am 

This video was great. Thanks for the test, Brandon.

Are all folks currently using RIT dye? I'm thinking it might be time to finally start dyeing my puzzles, and I have a vague memory of another brand being mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 am 

JasonSmith wrote:
Are all folks currently using RIT dye? I'm thinking it might be time to finally start dyeing my puzzles, and I have a vague memory of another brand being mentioned.

Dylon. I need to do a head-to-head test of Dylon vs. Rit but I haven't had a chance yet.

Oskar uses another dye. I have a link to the site that sells it somewhere....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
JasonSmith wrote:
Dylon. I need to do a head-to-head test of Dylon vs. Rit but I haven't had a chance yet.
Oskar uses another dye. I have a link to the site that sells it somewhere....
I think he uses Jacquard acid dye.

BTW Brandon, where did you buy the cages you use to keep the pieces in place?