Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help to Design Puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 pm 

I had an idea for a cube that is based of a weilong, but with some mechanism changes, well I think they are. I have some drawings on paper that I have that I will upload later, and I am wondering if someone could help design it 3d for me, so that maybe I could get it printed.

Post subject: Re: Help to Design Puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:33 pm 

slowking00 wrote:
I had an idea for a cube that is based of a weilong, but with some mechanism changes, well I think they are. I have some drawings on paper that I have that I will upload later, and I am wondering if someone could help design it 3d for me, so that maybe I could get it printed.

The biggest factor in whether anyone will be willing to take up the designing is how detailed and novel your idea is. You should post and describe (with pictures preferably) what you have in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 pm 

Attachment:
WP_20131223_17_03_58_Smart.jpg
WP_20131223_17_03_58_Smart.jpg [ 274.8 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Attachment:
WP_20131223_17_03_46_Smart.jpg
WP_20131223_17_03_46_Smart.jpg [ 274.79 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]
Attachment:
WP_20131223_17_05_48_Smart.jpg
WP_20131223_17_05_48_Smart.jpg [ 303.56 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

I shall explain the numbers.
1 - the edge base has no part for the corner to run along. I did it just to see if it would make the cube smoother
and the edge base goes around so that the corner can go under it. (basically a guhong edge base without the part for the corner to run along)
2 - the center piece has that part for stability of the edge and to help make a rounder track for the corner and the edge to run along
3 - the part on the center piece is like a plate that has rounded corners
4 - the corner base is like a the weilong or zhanchi base and is shaped so it can run along the pieces smoothly
5 - just a typical corner stalk

also the core is just a standard core and please tell me anything i could improve on

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:55 pm 

In your drawing, is that a air gap between the edge and corner?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:10 pm 

So something like this?
Attachment:
sc 1.jpg
sc 1.jpg [ 81.03 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Attachment:
sc 2.jpg
sc 2.jpg [ 73.84 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Attachment:
sc 3.jpg
sc 3.jpg [ 56.68 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Attachment:
sc 4.jpg
sc 4.jpg [ 73 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Of course this is only the very basic structure, but I just want to be sure I have the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm 

Yes that is the basic structure of it and yes there is an air gap, but not much. And if I wanted to get this printed how would I do so

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:31 pm 

slowking00 wrote:
1 - the edge base has no part for the corner to run along. I did it just to see if it would make the cube smoother
and the edge base goes around so that the corner can go under it. (basically a guhong edge base without the part for the corner to run along)

From my interpretation of this, the base of the corner should stay where its at while the base of the edge is not there. So, the base of the corners would slide around underneath the base of the edges. This would allow for a large edge base and a large corner base to be in the cube, just at different levels. (Keep in mind that the edges are held in by the centers on a more shallow level than the corner bases, as explained by the other numbers.)

In the CAD drawing that Ben posted, the corner base was moved to be more shallow and ride right alongside the base of the edge. This accomplishes nothing but having a more shallow mechanism in the cube, and it is not what he described.

I think that slowking agreed that that is what he was thinking without completely understanding what he was looking at.

Also, if it is based off the WeiLong, the corners should be pretty much just a stalk with a cap. They are like this on the WeiLong so that the corner doesn't interfere withe the center piece when reverse corner cutting. It is a very neat innovation, but it can cause corner twists if there is no mechanism to prevent them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:51 pm 

I thought that if the corner was thinner like a cap that it might cause lockups, and that having it thicker would make it run better against the center piece when it reverse corner cuts. I might be wrong. and yes i noticed what ben did and realized why