Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inside the 5x5x5, Impossiball, and Pyraminx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:21 pm 

I went ahead and snapped a pic of the inside of the Professor Cube and while I was at it I added pics of the other two in the title.

Incidentally my url is http://www.chrono.org

I'm in the process of overhauling many parts of the site but trying to speed ahead the woefully inadequate puzzle page first.

That's an original German 5x5x5. One of the yellow stickers is missing and some of the whites are bubbling slightly underneath them. The oranges are slightly warped but the puzzle is by far the better of my two Wahns to manipulate.

The Impossiball uses flexible "mushroom" like rubber stalks that hold the pieces in place. To my knowledge this is the only one of this class of puzzle to use such a scheme.

An original Tomy Pyraminx, hacked apart for nobody's amusement. Almost the simplest possible mechanism, the very easy to solve Pyraminx shares similarities with the 4 axis Skewb. The small ball bearings are supposed to add a positive "click" feel when the puzzle is turned, but in reality it doesn't work all that well.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 10:19 pm 

Hey thanks a lot!! It was so cool to see inside the 5x5x5 cube! Fairly complecated... How easy/safe is it to take apart? Does it go back together easily?

Post subject: inside magic octahedron and dogic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 5:13 am 
Please look.

Post subject: 5x5x5
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:19 pm 

Taking it apart is not difficult. Just rotate the top two layers 45 degrees and then gently pry up on the topmost middle edge piece. The smaller pieces will tend to fall out rather easily so I wouldn't recommend taking it apart if you don't need to. Far as I can tell there's 98 moving parts and 92 of them can fall out.

Putting it back together isn't too bad, but you do need to do quite a bit of pushing and stretching to get the last little bits back in.

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:13 am 

Im really liking all these inside shots! Thanks everyone for putting them up! I liked the way you arranged the pieces of the dogic by the way!!

Thanks again,
James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 pm 

I believe this topic should be revived. tada!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:02 pm 
STOP BUMPING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:04 pm 

jswat wrote:

Ass****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:07 pm 
Official petition to ban the account? Not quite as far as sage but if this doesnt stop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:09 pm 

OH MY GOD

SAGE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:10 pm 

jswat wrote:

D*CK

WTF!!! How does this contribute to anything!!

SAGE :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 pm 

Wtf

why...a 6 year old.....topic.....

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject: Re: Inside the 5x5x5, Impossiball, and Pyraminx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm 

Just so this bump won't a complete waste I'll try to add something new:

Jin H Kim wrote:
The Impossiball uses flexible "mushroom" like rubber stalks that hold the pieces in place. To my knowledge this is the only one of this class of puzzle to use such a scheme.

The relatively recent K Ball puzzle appears to use the "mushroom" mechanism, but it moves like a 2x2x2.

There. At least that's something new. (Sigh.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm 

the brain racker uses something similar in which the pieces move around.
its probably not flexible like these tho.

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:52 pm 

Could someone please explain to me how several posts saying a topic or a bumping of a topic is pointless is in any way preferable to a pointless topic or bumping of a topic lacking such commentary?

Repeatedly saying that a topic shouldn't have been bumped keeps it bumped. Continually saying that a topic shouldn't be made keeps it above ones that should have been made. Why support a topic or bump you don't approve of by keeping it bumped?

If people didn't keep replying to these topics they wouldn't be a problem, they'd disappear down the page and be forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm 

Congratulations guy, you let jswat win.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:57 pm 

Forum rules wrote:
The TwistyPuzzles.com forum is not your average message board. Generally speaking, the type of people that read and write these messages are intelligent and mature individuals, and as such, we should be able to treat each other significantly better than what can be seen on most public forums.

Wow. I think that should be updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 am 

Pembo, taking on America wrote:

When did this become a competition?

It is best for the forum if unnecessary threads or unnecessarily bumped threads are ignored. If you choose not to ignore them all you are doing is unnecessarily bumping them.

This thread has seven unnecessary bumps instead of one, apparently jswat, emr1028, Rick Mazzante, qqwref, Jesse Werner and sirajali05 are all fans of unnecessary bumping but since five of them are supposedly doing it to protest unnecessary bumping it strikes me as hypocritical.

If it is a competition I'd say that jswat won when he got not one or two responses to his useless post but six.

Johannes Laire wrote:
Forum rules wrote:
The TwistyPuzzles.com forum is not your average message board. Generally speaking, the type of people that read and write these messages are intelligent and mature individuals, and as such, we should be able to treat each other significantly better than what can be seen on most public forums.

Wow. I think that should be updated.

Not really, this is still significantly better than many public forums. Whether or not it is better than most I couldn't say without a an appropriate random sample (and then there's still a margin of error) but I hardly think that is in need of change.

If the type of people that read and write these messages were not, generally speaking, intelligent and mature individuals that treat each other significantly better than what can be seen on many (and probably most) public forums I would not be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:28 am 

chris the cynic wrote:

When did this become a competition?

It is best for the forum if unnecessary threads or unnecessarily bumped threads are ignored. If you choose not to ignore them all you are doing is unnecessarily bumping them.

This thread has seven unnecessary bumps instead of one, apparently jswat, emr1028, Rick Mazzante, qqwref, Jesse Werner and sirajali05 are all fans of unnecessary bumping but since five of them are supposedly doing it to protest unnecessary bumping it strikes me as hypocritical.

If it is a competition I'd say that jswat won when he got not one or two responses to his useless post but six.

What I am saying is that jswat is doing this for attention, people have responded, jswat gets his attention, jswat wins.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:16 am 

What I am saying is that jswat is doing this for attention, people have responded, jswat gets his attention, jswat wins.

Ah. Then I agree.