Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Repaired and Adjustable V-cube 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am 

A long long time ago, in a dorm room far from here, a puzzle was under an attack. (meant to be read with the beat of american pie)

Ok so quite some time ago I was given a V-cube 5 as a gift. The reason it was given to me was because although it was in wonderful condition with very nice cubesmith tiles, it was so loose it was not much fun. The only way to fix this puzzle would be to replace it with an adjustable core.

So this is what I did, I cut out all of the old non adjustable screws, gave it a nice new core and viola it works. At least thats how I wished the story went.

Unfortunately during the process I destroyed two of the center pieces. Apparently you can tighten the screws too tight during assembly and actually break through the bottom of the pieces. :roll:

So what was I to do? I wanted myself a nice V-5 so my only option was to design new centerpieces and have them 3-d printed. So I did. The ones shown here are the V-2. I got the scaling wrong with the first version somehow. The pieces are not perfect by any means and the center caps had to be rigged to work, but it does work, and quite well I might add. I designed these quite some time ago to be honest the puzzle has been sitting in my drawer for I believe well over a year now and last night at about midnight when I should have been sleeping I decided I needed to finish the stupid thing.

Enough talk, a video should do.