Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What should be call it
boublezing 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
hoffing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
G series 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dinoid 71%  71%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Office Naming of Compy Dino Cuboids
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 am 

This is a subtopic of the origin post I made a little over a month ago. In the Compy Dino Cubiod topic I have accidentally unearthed a hole new concept of design. I feel that there is alot of confusion in the forum over terms so I'd like to really nail down what fits into this category.

This concept very quickly was given the named boublezation. Boublezation opens up a hole new realm of possibilities. I hope we will be seeing more puzzles involving this type of transformation.

While I am flattered that my user name was turned into a term I feel like it is a mouth full. There were many other people that contributed greatly to discussion. So I'm opening up a poll where we can all decide what to call this thing.

The first thing I've got on the list is the original term boublezing. The second is hoffing after Carl Hoff for proving the first working mechanism. The third is G series, this was the first agreed open classification (G112) first suggested by GuiltyBystanders.

I am open to other suggestions just leave any idea you come up with as a reply on this topic. What ever has the highest vote 2 weeks form now (April 18 2011) will be adopted as the new official term. This date is subject to be push back if it feels necessary.

May the voting begin!!

Last edited by boublez on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Office Naming of Compy Dino Cubiods
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 am 

"Hoffing" sounds like huffing, which reminds me of huffing glue. Also, Carl has done so many crazy things that I don't think this would be considered his most notable achievement.

EDIT: Boublezation is more fun to say than Boubleing.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:08 am 

If you consider 'Boublezing' too much of a mouthful, then why not abbreviate it down to just 'Boubling'?

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 am 

I have generally been referring to any LxMxN vertex turning cuboid as a Dinoid. Out of habit I will probably continue to do so, but will also use my numbering system for the Dinoid. I view the "numbered" sides as how many of the "yellow in design" pieces there are. So a 2x2x3 Dinoid would be the first design that was shown. Just my two cents, but whatever the consensus is on the name, I will try to use.

Post subject: Re: Office Naming of Compy Dino Cuboids
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:55 pm 

Lykwid wrote:
I have generally been referring to any LxMxN vertex turning cuboid as a Dinoid. ...

I like the way that sounds. I'm adding it to the poll.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm 

I see some middle ground. The puzzle itself is a "dinoid," while the act of designing a dinoid is called "boublezation." Also, the details which have been boubleized are called "boublezing" in the same way "olzing" is referred to as olzing.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm 

Well, my suggestion to call them as "dinoids" came naturally. So from me, "dinoids" it is!!!
Simple and succinct.

I also agree with Kapusta that the method could be named appropriately.

:D

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
"Hoffing" sounds like huffing, which reminds me of huffing glue.
I've been told the correct German pronunciation of my last name is the same as Huff but my family has always pronounced it with the "o" sound. Think "off" with an "h" in front of it. It does have its limitations. My wife has always liked the name Jack. No, I didn't dare name either of my boys that but I do now have a Jack Russell Terrier... want to guess what his name tag reads? I wonder how many of those outside the USA will get the issue here...

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Kapusta wrote:
I've been told the correct German pronunciation of my last name is the same as Huff but my family has always pronounced it with the "o" sound. Think "off" with an "h" in front of it. It does have its limitations. My wife as always liked the name Jack. No, I didn't dare name either of my boys that but I do now have a Jack Russell Terrier... want to guess what his name tag reads? I wonder how many of those outside the USA will get the issue here...

Carl

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
I see some middle ground. The puzzle itself is a "dinoid," while the act of designing a dinoid is called "boublezation." Also, the details which have been boubleized are called "boublezing" in the same way "olzing" is referred to as olzing.

I think I agree here... however I'm not 100% sure what it is that we are naming. Boublez's idea has now sparked many different puzzles. We now even have edge turn puzzles in the mix and a face turn Octahedron. Boublez deserves all the credit for the idea as had it not been for his post I certainly wouldn't have come up with that mech when I did. And I somewhat think of these puzzles in a class very similiar to siamese puzzles so if we want to call that large group Boublezed Puzzles I think that would be great. This could have several sub-groups. The Dinoids being those rectangular corner turn boxes with just edge pieces. No piece turns with 3 corners at once.
If you make the cuts deeper as boublez did here. You could call that a Rexoid. It has pieces which turn with 3 and even 4 corners at once
Oskar's puzzle here would be a Dinoid Cuboctahedron.
Some of the spherical puzzles which Oskar shows in that thread I'm still trying to wrap my head around and to be honest I'm not sure they are a generaization of this boublezation process or something new. I for the life of me still don't see how he cut that corner in two on that one puzzle and if I didn't have a picture staring me in the face saying its possible I certainly would think it wasn't possible.
Back to the names... how about we call the edge turning blocks (like the second one here) heloids?
What about puzzles like this? Its a true Octahedron. So I'm not sure you could call it a ...oid. It does however have offset face center turns. So maybe its an Offtahedron. Or should it be called a Dual Dinoid?

Even these sub-classes still are each whole families of puzzles. Boublez's original Dinoid is the G122... but is G122 or B322 the "name" we should stick with? I think typically who ever makes the first working puzzle has a right to name it what he or she wants. And there have certainly been cases were several have made the same puzzle and each calls it something different. The 24-Cube is the Little Chop. The Mosaic Cube is the Fadi Cube. Etc... to name a few examples of puzzles which have more then one name.

These all sprang into being due to boublez's initial spark and we as a comunity have been adding fuel to the fire at an ever faster rate ever since.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:24 am 

Dinoid is easy to say and sounds very catchy. Especially with all the new gagets such as the Android phones, anything ending in "-oid" is a nice buzz word currently, similar to the common practice of placing "e-" and "i-" at the beginning of words.

Cube -> Cuboid

Dino Cube -> Dinoid

I vote Dinoid :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Kapusta wrote:
I've been told the correct German pronunciation of my last name is the same as Huff but my family has always pronounced it with the "o" sound. Think "off" with an "h" in front of it.

Unrelated, but I met the Hoff (aka David Hasselhoff) while I was waiting
at the Heathrow Airport last March (he was attending some radio event)
I used to love the Knight Rider series back in the 80s, so it was like a
pleasant "welcome" for my first visit to the UK. And I could have showed
him the Magic Dino Cube I had with me!

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.