Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: White Strong and Flexible "Polished" and Frosted Detail
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:42 pm 

Hello everyone,

Today Shapeways shared some info in their newsletter that I think would be of interest to puzzle designers like myself:
Shapeways wrote:
First of all, I'm excited to share that as of today, polishing is available for the first time for White Strong and Flexible, a.k.a WSF Polished! If you've ever wished that WSF felt more like a finished product, WSF Polished is for you. We put our 3D printed WSF through a tumbler, making the surface of your model smooth to the touch and just a little bit shiny.

This seems like a miracle to puzzle designers in my opinion, and I'd love to see who'd be first to try it out and see if aspects like sticker appearance and stick-ability improve, etc.

Also, it seems others are excited of the also newly released material Frosted Detail. I wonder how that will play a role in printing accuracy, appearance, and function of new puzzles, besides the obvious transparency aspect and more accurate parts.

My Youtube and Shapeways

Last edited by Mindstormscreator on Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: White Strong and Flexible "Polished"
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm 

I actually dont think its going to improve much from a puzzle builders perspective. It is well known that the puzzle breaks in on it's own upon usage, to a state that is even better than the "polished" finish.

As far as the outside of the pieces go, then a little rubbing on some paper does the trick really.

The Frost material is another story tho. All I wanna know is if that is dyeable :)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm 

Personally, I think it sounds good, but it may not work well for puzzles.

The email claims that the pieces are simply polished in a tumbler! I expected an advanced solvent or some other technological innovation.

If somebody could find out what "buffer" is used in the tumbler (I use ground up walnut shells for polishing my .223 cases) Then we could cheaply and easily polish WSF in a brass tumbler at home, just like they are now dyed at home, and for a much lower cost. I just wonder how much friction is reduced, and If the MECHANISM, not just the externals are greatly affected.

I hope someone can print a sample puzzle (barbell cubes? :) ) to test this, and maybe Oskar could try to polish up his normal WSF an compare the two (or he could send it to me if we could find out the buffer and I would do it for free :lol: )

But like Sigurd said, I am VERY excited for the SHAPEWAYS FROST MATERIAL That should be revolutionary.

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 am 

Adman234 wrote:
Personally, I think it sounds good, but it may not work well for puzzles. I hope someone can print a sample puzzle (barbell cubes? :) ) to test this,

On the Shapeways page there is a video showing a test print by Oskar. He seems very positive about it :)