Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask questions, but I'm making (or planning on making) a pillowed 3x3, and I don't like filling the pieces with epoxy because it makes them really heavy. Someone suggested that I pour a little bit of "liquid plastic" into each of the sides. Not enough to fill up the entire cubie, but enough to make the sides thick enough for making the cube. I found some smooth cast onyx, but after reading about it on the forums, I don't know if it would work very well. How well would smooth cast onyx work, not for actually casting pieces, but for doing something like I had described?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
asportking wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask questions, but I'm making (or planning on making) a pillowed 3x3, and I don't like filling the pieces with epoxy because it makes them really heavy. Someone suggested that I pour a little bit of "liquid plastic" into each of the sides. Not enough to fill up the entire cubie, but enough to make the sides thick enough for making the cube. I found some smooth cast onyx, but after reading about it on the forums, I don't know if it would work very well. How well would smooth cast onyx work, not for actually casting pieces, but for doing something like I had described?
It would probably work, but I don't know how well it would stick to the inside smooth areas of the cubie.
But you can pour, let it harden and then see if it will come out. If it does, a bit of superglue should keep it in.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 am
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
I used onyx when I was out of filler once on a puzzle, and it hasn't fallen out yet.
But they were all solid tho, not hollow like you say.

_________________
Jared wrote:
MADNESS??
THIS IS TWISTYPUZZLES DOT COOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
I used Smoothcast 300 (as close to Onyx as you can get, I suppose) when filling some cubies I later ground down and found some stuck and some didn't.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm
DLitwin wrote:
asportking wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask questions, but I'm making (or planning on making) a pillowed 3x3, and I don't like filling the pieces with epoxy because it makes them really heavy. Someone suggested that I pour a little bit of "liquid plastic" into each of the sides. Not enough to fill up the entire cubie, but enough to make the sides thick enough for making the cube. I found some smooth cast onyx, but after reading about it on the forums, I don't know if it would work very well. How well would smooth cast onyx work, not for actually casting pieces, but for doing something like I had described?
It would probably work, but I don't know how well it would stick to the inside smooth areas of the cubie.
But you can pour, let it harden and then see if it will come out. If it does, a bit of superglue should keep it in.

Dave

Would sanding the inside of the cube a little to make the sides rougher help it stay on?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
asportking wrote:
Would sanding the inside of the cube a little to make the sides rougher help it stay on?
Possibly, but that is probably more work than just gluing the resin in place after it hardens up. I'd say pour it as is and see if it sticks (flex the piece a bit after it cures and see if it pops out). If it does, you are done! If not, just a drop or two of superglue and it won't be going anywhere.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group