Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 am 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask questions, but I'm making (or planning on making) a pillowed 3x3, and I don't like filling the pieces with epoxy because it makes them really heavy. Someone suggested that I pour a little bit of "liquid plastic" into each of the sides. Not enough to fill up the entire cubie, but enough to make the sides thick enough for making the cube. I found some smooth cast onyx, but after reading about it on the forums, I don't know if it would work very well. How well would smooth cast onyx work, not for actually casting pieces, but for doing something like I had described?

Post subject: Re: Question about smooth cast onyx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm 

asportking wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask questions, but I'm making (or planning on making) a pillowed 3x3, and I don't like filling the pieces with epoxy because it makes them really heavy. Someone suggested that I pour a little bit of "liquid plastic" into each of the sides. Not enough to fill up the entire cubie, but enough to make the sides thick enough for making the cube. I found some smooth cast onyx, but after reading about it on the forums, I don't know if it would work very well. How well would smooth cast onyx work, not for actually casting pieces, but for doing something like I had described?
It would probably work, but I don't know how well it would stick to the inside smooth areas of the cubie.
But you can pour, let it harden and then see if it will come out. If it does, a bit of superglue should keep it in.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:58 am 

I used onyx when I was out of filler once on a puzzle, and it hasn't fallen out yet.
But they were all solid tho, not hollow like you say.

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 am 

I used Smoothcast 300 (as close to Onyx as you can get, I suppose) when filling some cubies I later ground down and found some stuck and some didn't.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 am 

DLitwin wrote:
asportking wrote:
It would probably work, but I don't know how well it would stick to the inside smooth areas of the cubie.
But you can pour, let it harden and then see if it will come out. If it does, a bit of superglue should keep it in.

Dave

Would sanding the inside of the cube a little to make the sides rougher help it stay on?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 am 

asportking wrote:
Would sanding the inside of the cube a little to make the sides rougher help it stay on?
Possibly, but that is probably more work than just gluing the resin in place after it hardens up. I'd say pour it as is and see if it sticks (flex the piece a bit after it cures and see if it pops out). If it does, you are done! If not, just a drop or two of superglue and it won't be going anywhere.

Dave