Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skewboid?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:54 pm 

Imagine this: a 3x3x5 equivalent of a skewb. What I mean by this is that two axes would be a master skewb, and the other four would be a skewb. The reason I call it the 3x3x5 equivalent of a skewb is because the skewb is commonly referred to as the 3x3x3 equivalent of a skewb, and the master skewb the 5x5x5 equivalent of a skewb.

I cannot currently picture this, but then again, years ago, seeing from old forum posts I looked at while bored, some people couldn't imagine a gigaminx, and now it is mass-produced.

Edit:
Could this also be applied to other cubic puzzles (helicopter cube, dino cube, etc.)?

Transsexual and Proud!

Last edited by Katniss on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Skewboid?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:56 pm 

I have some doubt that it's possible, but if it is, someone, please post a picture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 pm 

I'm going to try and design this, ill post my results later!

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm 

Functionally, the 3x3x5 is a bandaged 5x5x5. So you'd need to get the 5x5x5 equivalent of the skewb and bandage that.

Personally, I don't think you can translate this or any bandaging to other sets of axes. The symmetries that exist on the cube don't exist on the octahedron. For starters, you can turn any face half of 360 and it will maintain the same "look" if you ignore colors. You can't do the same on the octahedron because there's only 3 rotations per face.

Actually, I think most would agree that the skewb is 2x2x2 and the master skewb is the 3x3x3. Actually, the dino cube and compy cube are 3x3x3 equivolents too. This is sort of how the megaminx, pyraminx crystal, starminx, and master penultimate are all the 3x3x3 of the dodecahedron.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:47 pm 

pentultimate is actually the 2x2 of the dodecahedron...
And I think that this skewboid idea can be done...
I asked a similar question of the megaminx a year or 2 ago, and it was disregarded as impossible, but I still believe such designs are possible in other geometries, as long as you do not limit it to the exact symmetries that the cube has...

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:52 pm 

elijah wrote:
pentultimate is actually the 2x2 of the dodecahedron...

GuiltyBystander wrote:
This is sort of how the megaminx, pyraminx crystal, starminx, and master penultimate are all the 3x3x3 of the dodecahedron.

Also the Kilominx is thought of as a 2x2x2 dodecahedron as well.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

Last edited by theVDude on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:53 pm 

I said Master Pentultimate although admittedly spelled wrong the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:41 pm 

elijah wrote:
I asked a similar question of the megaminx a year or 2 ago, and it was disregarded as impossible, but I still believe such designs are possible in other geometries, as long as you do not limit it to the exact symmetries that the cube has...

I think that your idea is completely possible. What do you think, Vergo, want to give this one a try too?

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm 

A cube has 3 directions of cutting layers (orthogonal), a skewb has 4, so the notation should be following: Skewb = 2x2x2x2, Master Skewb = 3x3x3x3. Dino Cube is also 3x3x3x3, but the layers are shifted outside, thus actually leaving less number of pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 pm 

theVDude wrote:
GuiltyBystander wrote:
This is sort of how the megaminx, pyraminx crystal, starminx, and master penultimate are all the 3x3x3 of the dodecahedron.

Also the Kilominx is thought of as a 2x2x2 dodecahedron as well.

Only by some.
I like to think that a 2x2x2 is deep cut, the kilominx is not. The pentultimate to me is the 2x2x2 equivalent of a megaminx.
As for making a 3x3x5 skewb.
The rubiks cube has 3 axises of motion, the skewb has 4.
So it would become a 3x3x3x5 equivalent, or if you call the skewb a 2x2x2 equivalent, it would become a 2x2x2x4 skewb which I believe is made from bandaging a few 4x4x4x4 skewb parts.
However once you start turning it it will start bandaging itself in completely different ways.

Attachments:
2x2x2x4 skewb.png
2x2x2x4 skewb.png [ 25.13 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm 

true, the trouble with this is that there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the sides each always the same... it's really just bandaging a higher order skewb...
What would happen now if you were to bandage a skewb as shown and proportionalize it, similar to how the cuboids are proportionalized?
This might also work if you were to make it 2x2x4x4 or somethign similar, since it could then be symmetrical...

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."