Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Building Competition idea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 pm 

That would be nice, but I don't think it will work out. If I were a judge, I wouldn't want to pay for the puzzles, especially if thier is a good turn out.
One last day for comments and suggestions.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm 

I'm thinking about entering this. Anyone know what a reasonable size would be for an affordable Ponoko puzzle? I've never used them before.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:05 pm 

Steryne wrote:
That would be nice, but I don't think it will work out. If I were a judge, I wouldn't want to pay for the puzzles, especially if thier is a good turn out.
One last day for comments and suggestions.

When the final thread is started, all responses should be for people entering their puzzle only. Each designer should have a week to enter/sign up for the competition. They make a post with their name, partners, puzzle name, and status. As things change about the puzzle, the person can edit the post with the new information.

I would like it to be something like this so that it is a competition, not a contest. Each designer would be able to see the competition and know what other people are working on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 pm 

Question: Is there any way to edit a post so that it shows up in the orange color on the forum? Whenever I edit my posts, it never shows up as something new. Perhaps, if this is not possible, every time you edit your post, you should update the first line of your post with "Update! 7/14/2010" or whatever the date may be. That way, if people want to check for updates, they can just scroll through and stop at the posts with new updates.

Also, I realized right after I posted about the judges this morning, that it would be absurd to ask the judges to buy copies of the puzzles. I think once there is a list of puzzles, they should be divided up among the 5 judges and each builder/group should order one for themselves and one for Shapeways to send directly to the assigned judge (after the puzzle has been tested, of course!)

I am so excited about my idea!

-Ď€ (Eitan)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:31 pm 

Sorry to double post, but here's one more idea related to PuzzleMaster's last comment. Perhaps during the week when people are entering into the competition, entries should only have the name(s) of the designer(s) and the name of the puzzle. Then, once the competition is closed to entries, people can start showing screenshots, pictures and videos in their posts. That would decrease the risk of people entering puzzles that are too similar.

-Ď€ (Eitan)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:34 pm 

Good idea. All will be taken into account.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 pm 

With editing posts, it shows up as orange to other people. I like the edited date idea. With buying 2 puzzles however, it would cost a lot more. I think just videos and pictures should be used for judging. If I design a $49 puzzle and it takes a few tests to get it perfect, I really wouldn't want to have to pay another $49. A solution could be to first have the judges pick the top ten puzzles from the videos and pictures. Only these top ten puzzles would then be printed for/given to the judges.

Another thing I really think would be a good idea is to get Shapeways involved. They do contests all the time and could offer a prize to the winner, maybe $100 coupon for 3d printing at Shapeways :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:36 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Another thing I really think would be a good idea is to get Shapeways involved. They do contests all the time and could offer a prize to the winner, maybe $100 coupon for 3d printing at Shapeways :mrgreen:

I was going to make it a surprise, but... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 pm 

Steryne wrote:
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:

Every one that enters gets a free sports car of their choice? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:47 pm 

Steryne wrote:

I am totally stoked to hear the end of that statement tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
Steryne wrote:

I am totally stoked to hear the end of that statement tomorrow!

He means PuzzleMaster6262 suggested it already.

That's how the show American Inventor works: an innovation that needs work but has potential moves on to round 2. At that time they are given $10,000 to improve their invention, and the highest-rated few by the judges move on to a final round of improvement before the winner is determined. The winner gets huge amounts of prize money to carry the project further/mass produce the invention. Of course, we can't give reckless amounts of bonus money for this competition, but we can have the same format of showing up the item by formal rounds of improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:00 am 

For the 1 cm rule, could it be worded "All stickered pieces must have atleast one stickered face large enough to fit a 1 cm line across it". I'm trying to figure out a way puzzles like the gear cube would be allowed. Or the rule could be replaced with "Puzzles will not be graded by piece size or puzzle dimensions".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:32 am 

Their is no Shapeways money, please don't spread rumors. As for the piece size, I will be changing that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 am 

Steryne wrote:
That would be nice, but I don't think it will work out. If I were a judge, I wouldn't want to pay for the puzzles, especially if their is a good turn out.
...Or if the quality of the puzzles is rubbish. I wouldn't want to have to buy a piece of junk just because someone submitted it.

The way the IPP contest works is the designer submits two puzzles and a $30 entry fee, presumably to cover admin work and return shipping. The idea of asking a judge buy an open ended number of entries at $30 each of unknown quality puzzles is not a good process for getting volunteer judges :).

Better for the submitter to cough up a bit, which also weeds out those who are might otherwise be joking around. The point of the contest is cheap puzzles so this shouldn't be much of a burden per entry.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am 

So, if Shapeways is involved (Isn't involved? Is AND isn't involved?), can we still use Ponoko?

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 am 

You may still use Ponoko. I sent an email to Shapeways and I will reveal all when I get my reply. I plan on sending a follow up email as soon as I make the final thread for the rules and regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am 

For the final thread, you should include a saying allowing you to edit the rules up until the competition starts and no more entries are allowed. This way if you overlook something for the final thread, you can change it without people getting upset.

I look forward to this :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 pm 

The competition is here!

p.s. That was the longest post I have ever made in both lenght and time! And by a long shot!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:16 pm 

So...... At the moment, the only prize is bragging rights?

-pi (Eitan)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 pm 

Two questions

If two puzzles are being entered, should two posts be made?

Also with the 1 cm pieces, can pieces be unstickered and considered mechanical in order to be smaller? ie Gear Cube pieces

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 am 

@Pi Sadly, yes. However, this isn't new. What is the award for POTY? I havn't seen a Twistypuzzles competition yet that has a (true) award. However, since shapeways might be getting involved, their might be a prize.

@PM62, I will change the rule, however, Gear Cube isn't exactly $15 usd or less.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 am 

My puzzle is not based off the gear cube. I'm just using it as an example because the small 4 center pieces are needed for it to work, just like my puzzle will have small pieces that are needed for it to work.

So one post should be made for each puzzle?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 am 

Yes, but clearly state that it is your second entry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm 

I think this is a wonderful idea to get new builders building. At the same time you do realize you are eliminating many by virtue of having to use a computer program. What about builders like Smaz, or Tony? I know there are others on this board who don't use CAD but rather build by hand....just my two cents.

In the mean time, I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:06 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I think this is a wonderful idea to get new builders building. At the same time you do realize you are eliminating many by virtue of having to use a computer program. What about builders like Smaz, or Tony? I know there are others on this board who don't use CAD but rather build by hand....just my two cents.

that makes sense, my opinion is that competition has not limit size or price ... just let the inventors free to do what they want

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 pm 

mu puzzles wrote:
katsmom wrote:

that makes sense, my opinion is that competition has not limit size or price ... just let the inventors free to do what they want

That's what puzzle of the year is for. This is to get cheap good quality puzzles onto Shapeways. Atleast that's what I think :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:49 pm 

Bingo, although I do see Katsmom's point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:12 pm 

Every puzzle, regardless of whether they enter the competition Steryne started, ends up on my list. When it's on my list, EVERYONE is the judge and decides their favorite 2 puzzles as puzzles of the month. (Speaking of which, June's list, found in my signature, really needs a second-place tie-breaker between the Helicopter puzzles and the More Madness)

This is a less generic competition- more of a designing competition. It has a shorter time frame with rules to make it more specific. If you honestly want one, we could probably also hold a modding competition, but that should wait until this one is done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:36 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
This is a less generic competition- more of a designing competition. It has a shorter time frame with rules to make it more specific. If you honestly want one, we could probably also hold a modding competition, but that should wait until this one is done.

I like the idea of a modding competition, as long as the puzzle must be designed for it. Otherwise, Rentlix might have already won :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:54 pm 

We have organized a Puzzle Building event at Hungarian Open 2008 and 2009, and we will try to do the same at European Championship!
And JLM did the same at French Open 2008

If you are interested, here are some photos:
http://picasaweb.google.hu/rubikkocka/HO2008CubeBuildingVerseny#

And this is the winner of the last years competition:
(Ok it is not a puzzle, but it looks so great...)

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I like the idea of a modding competition, as long as the puzzle must be designed for it. Otherwise, Rentlix might have already won :lol:

Sh! Wait 'til the stickers arrive!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm 

Shapeways has generously offered a $50 printing voucher for the winner (since it is a $50 competition) that will expire at the end of September. :D