Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trouble with casting?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 am 

Hey everyone. Not too long ago I tried casting a 3x3x3. (I made a hexagonal dipyramid out of it and then one of the screws popped out of the core! :evil: ) I noticed in almost every piece I casted, there was a hole on the interior part of the edge and the corners. not like a hole, because its a hollow puzzle piece, but a hole like all the way through, I can see my finger on the other side. Is this a result because I am casting the cube hollow? Does anybody have any reccomendations I can do to prevent this air bubble?

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

Post subject: Re: Trouble with casting?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:16 am 

Some pictures of the piece and molds would be nice, but here's what I have so far:
How are you casting a completely hollow piece? Is one face open?
Are there any imperfections in the mold that might be causing this?
What casting resin are you using, how are you mixing it before pouring it into the mold, how are you pouring it into the mold?
What do you do after the resin is in the mold? I would recommend gripping the mold firmly (but not squeezing) and move it in your hand to help circulate any un-cured resin and prevent bubbles which could be causing the problem.

-Mindstormscreator

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 pm 

Well, to start, sadly I don't have any pics. I made a hex. dipyramid with the pieces, but one of the centers ripped out of the [i had no idea it was broken] core. So I ended up tossing the pieces (Im an idiot i could've just got a new core..). anyway. I used smoothcast onyx. due to the fact that I needed to cut/sand/paint the pieces anyways, I have a small little hole on the top of the piece. like for better visuals, since my molds also ripped after poor handling/1 part mold instead of two part, The faces on the edges that use stickers come out of the hole first. I did hold the mold, and i wiggled it in my hand like jello and a few bubbles emerged, but nothing like the big hole in the pieces. As I type this, I kind of realize, my molding in general was bad. I made a 1 part mold because I had no clay at the time to make a 2 part mold. I'm going to remake the molds, probably not 3x3 molds, but i am going to make 2 part molds in the future.

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:05 pm 

RedRoost80 wrote:
I'm going to remake the molds, probably not 3x3 molds, but i am going to make 2 part molds in the future.

A good lesson in puzzle building is to always, ALWAYS make molds to right way first, even if it requires sacrificing time, patience, and OOMOO. My friend Matt has re-made molds for practially every single puzzle he has built because it wasn't made so well. I would suggest sticking to 2 part molds even it a one part is possible, results will be nicer and cleanup will be easier.

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:05 pm 

RedRoost80 wrote:
I'm going to remake the molds, probably not 3x3 molds, but i am going to make 2 part molds in the future.

A good lesson in puzzle building is to always, ALWAYS make molds to right way first, even if it requires sacrificing time, patience, and OOMOO. My friend Matt has re-made molds for practially every single puzzle he has built because it wasn't made so well. I would suggest sticking to 2 part molds even it a one part is possible, results will be nicer and cleanup will be easier.

My Youtube and Shapeways