Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Myriaminx (4th order dodecahedral puzzle)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm 

Hi there puzzle builders/modders. Some of you may have noticed that I bumped this thread, not realising how old it actually was.
I am posting this to redirect others from that thread.
I myself am working towards this goal of creating a 4th order (if you accept that a megaminx is in fact a 3rd order dodecahedron).
I have also been working on a 4th order minx design in AutoCAD, since 2008.
A friend and I decided upon the name Myriaminx. Here is our logic;
Myria is the greek prefix for 10^4...appropriate for this puzzle we think bequod as it is a 4-th order dodecahedron. In addition there appears to be no real arbitrary nomenclature for even order minxes; by the Mega=3rd, Giga=5th etc naming system the Kilominx should be a first order dodecahedron.
My own designs are based on the v-cube 6 mech, and assumes that internal layers won't come out of alignment as the sides are not perpendicular but rather skew at 72º.
It is anticipated that it will measure 40mm on an edge.
In addition I have made the designs compensate for any piece interference (at the centres - nicknamed the 'kilominx syndrome') by utilising a concept similar to that used by Oskar van Deventer in his Kilominx.
I hope to print it late this year or early next year...delays mainly rooting in the fact that I have bulk exams this year...
Do you guys have any suggestions for this puzzle? I don't mind open discussions as there is no patent (that I am aware of, correct me if I'm wrong) for a 4th order dodecahedron.
Once again, apologies for bumping the hyperminx thread. It was an honest mistake, and I will endeavour to pay closer attention to the dates on posts and theads.

--Dr Moon

Post subject: Re: Myriaminx (4th order dodecahedral puzzle)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm 

The Second Cuber wrote:
Hi there puzzle builders/modders. Some of you may have noticed that I bumped this thread, not realising how old it actually was.
I am posting this to redirect others from that thread.
I myself am working towards this goal of creating a 4th order (if you accept that a megaminx is in fact a 3rd order dodecahedron).
I have also been working on a 4th order minx design in AutoCAD, since 2008.
A friend and I decided upon the name Myriaminx. Here is our logic;
Myria is the greek prefix for 10^4...appropriate for this puzzle we think bequod as it is a 4-th order dodecahedron. In addition there appears to be no real arbitrary nomenclature for even order minxes; by the Mega=3rd, Giga=5th etc naming system the Kilominx should be a first order dodecahedron.
My own designs are based on the v-cube 6 mech, and assumes that internal layers won't come out of alignment as the sides are not perpendicular but rather skew at 72º.
It is anticipated that it will measure 40mm on an edge.
In addition I have made the designs compensate for any piece interference (at the centres - nicknamed the 'kilominx syndrome') by utilising a concept similar to that used by Oskar van Deventer in his Kilominx.
I hope to print it late this year or early next year...delays mainly rooting in the fact that I have bulk exams this year...
Do you guys have any suggestions for this puzzle? I don't mind open discussions as there is no patent (that I am aware of, correct me if I'm wrong) for a 4th order dodecahedron.
Once again, apologies for bumping the hyperminx thread. It was an honest mistake, and I will endeavour to pay closer attention to the dates on posts and theads.

Do you have any screenshots? Maybe just one face head on?

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:20 pm 

I've only got photos of some sketches I have made, as screen shots of my screen end up scrambled for some reason..
The pictures bellow are just of the initial sketches, and are not to scale (The angles are way of). I have made blueprints on graph paper but they are hard to see on the camera as without flash the lines become indistinguishable from the graph lines, and with flash the actual lines are lost in a white haze. Hopefully I'll be able to scan them, but not having access to a scanner is a big problem there... If I do get a decent screen shot I will post it.

edit: woah they came out big.. if you want them smaller go to the site where I store pictures of this puzzle; http://sites.google.com/site/tppicsandshots/

--Dr Moon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:35 pm 

Those are pretty good. I've been meaning to try to work on this puzzle, but I've been obsessing over a way to do a halfminx and my girlfriend just gave me a decent idea to try.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:53 pm 

Thanks.
good luck with the halfminx

--Dr Moon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am 

Much like the Kilominx (Impossible Dodecahedron, Kilominx, Flowerminx, Duominx) there are a few of us working on this same 4 layer minx concept with different implementations and different names.

I know of a few in progress, and of course my own has slowly inched along. I should have been done long ago but I never seem to find the time to actually build these days.

Normally I would wait until I had something a bit more complete but with yet another throwing their hat into the ring I might as well stake claim to my particular name and design.

I will be calling mine the Quadraminx which has a nice sound and a definite relation to four and dodecahedron puzzle. I am going to stay with my Kilominx cut based design as so many are going the other direction. I've shared this preview with a few but might as well post my mock up picture.

I'll create a thread for it when my build is further along, but for now at least there is something to think about:

I look forward to seeing others complete their designs. This isn't a competition or race (I'll certainly lose any puzzle building race...) so don't rush and show us a great puzzle!

Dave :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:37 am 

The edges for your hand drawings are not going to work unless you want the hidden layer visible, which defeats the purpose of a hidden layer. They need to take a different external shape.

Whatever happened to the modding a Gigaminx idea? If I had some sheets of plastic I had access to I'd have already tried "copying" the kilominx-from-megaminx mod.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 am 

Rentlix wrote:
The edges for your hand drawings are not going to work unless you want the hidden layer visible, which defeats the purpose of a hidden layer. They need to take a different external shape.

Whatever happened to the modding a Gigaminx idea? If I had some sheets of plastic I had access to I'd have already tried "copying" the kilominx-from-megaminx mod.
Like the Kilominx, you can see the underlying puzzle pieces which are unstickered and rounded into a sphere.

This is a stylistic mod based on the concept of adding plates onto an existing puzzle (in this case my hand cast Gigaminx) and removing bits to allow face intersections.

The Duominx style Oskar came up with is a more classical design, but I can't claim it as my own and it is a bit harder to do by hand (I'm not using CAD).

But enough about my version (until I have something to post), let's see some other versions...

Dave :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 am 

Dave, the inner pieces on yours make me want to call it the Trafficconeminx. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:17 pm 

it might be a fun puzzle but just imagine what a bother getting all of the centers it would be
it'd probably take you just as long to get the centers as it would to get the edges and the rest of the puzzle :lol:

[moderator: replaced inappropriate word with "bother". Let's keep other's in mind, folks]

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm 

Forum Rules wrote:
7. Expletives
Suffice it to say that not everyone is comfortable reading swear words. Replacing letters with characters is not an acceptable solution. There are numerous ways of expressing yourself without the use of expletives or the dollar and percent signs. In the event that an inappropriate word finds its way into a message, the forum software will most likely filter it out. Please avoid the temptation to test the filter. Report any post that contains inappropriate language.

I know you are a new member, but rules are rules. This isn't an aduts only forum, I got on here around age 11 and others get on here sooner than that. As my 8th period teacher says, "would you say it to the pope, your grandma or your children? then don't say it here!"

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:22 pm 

And some of us turn funny shades of pink when we see those words! :lol: Please refrain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:43 pm 

sorry guy's (and gal's) that's my bad
I'll refrain from now on

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank