Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: “Tony Fisher was right after all”
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 am 

I’ve worked more in this past few weeks that I’ve had “off” than I do when I work. By now, emails should be going out to people around the world, and I’ve had great pleasure in seeing this from start to finish. It has been many late nights with phone calls and emails being sent back and forth, but the end result was worth the work.

Attachment:
web008.jpg
web008.jpg [ 84.9 KiB | Viewed 2369 times ]

Added to that, I am making my first puzzle! All mine. Ok, not really, and it’s nothing original, but it is the first one of this type that I have done. I hate to say it but in part, Tony was right after all! The desire to make this puzzle has been there since before I owned one. I think since I first saw this picture. After trolling through eBay I realized it would be way out of my price range. I got lucky this past summer and thanks to some help from Georges was able to get my hands on one after around 7 years of searching! The first thing I did was take it apart and clean it, and I realized that it was a very simplistic puzzle.

Now I’ve been reading the posts on molding puzzles since they first started way back on the original forum, and was sure that I would never be able to do that. I started thinking about molding a cheese myself, but then I saw this post again and thought twice about doing it. Too scared to mess up my original!

My husband is pretty creative, and has lots of machines he plays with and does a bit of molding himself. Up until this summer, he had only been smelting metals on the balcony. The first thing he made was hinges for the toilet seat out of aluminum. He next fixed the door hinge for the dryer and went on to make many other replacement parts for things that were breaking around the house.

This autumn he bought a lathe, and a part on it was broken. He decided to make a wax cast replacement mold and try that. Sadly, it didn’t work all that well, and lucky for me he tried silicon. That one turned out beautifully and his part was made out of clear plastic. This got me thinking again, but with work and all the other things I’ve been doing time just slipped away.

This Christmas, we were supposed to get our house redecorated, but with all the public holidays, the decorator said he couldn’t do it. In the mean time my husband took 2 weeks of leave time, and I am working from home. This got me thinking again, and we decided to try for a puzzle.

Some of you have been following my progress on facebook, as I’m so excited about what I’m doing, I couldn’t help but post. The photos of my progress can be found here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033798&id=1138673266&l=574b9166de
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033801&id=1138673266&l=1438d69663
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033857&id=1138673266&l=cbd27fe006
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033879&id=1138673266&l=85f5a05624
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033900&id=1138673266&l=ee90926bdb
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033961&id=1138673266&l=7f8c378f55

It’s not perfect, it needs a lot of work, but the upshot is I’m doing it! I have managed to get one full piece out of the mold, and am about to take out the second one in an hour’s time. I will continue to post more pictures until I’m done, but I expect it to take me around another week or so to finish. I only made one mold, so it is one piece at a time, and this stuff takes at least 4 hours to dry.

Will I make another one? Who knows ;) probably! Was Tony right? We’ll see in a week!

I should add many thanks to Drew for staying awake and chatting with me about this the other night. You really helped lessen the nervousness and keep the laughs going. I might have given up if it hadn't been for one of your replies.

a few pictures for Leslie :wink:
Attachment:
web008.jpg
web008.jpg [ 161.97 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web015.jpg
web015.jpg [ 118.71 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web026.jpg
web026.jpg [ 71.16 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web033.jpg
web033.jpg [ 101.66 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web012.jpg
web012.jpg [ 206.37 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web016.jpg
web016.jpg [ 158.61 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
web012.jpg
web012.jpg [ 83.77 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Last edited by katsmom on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: “Tony Fisher was right after all”
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 am 

you made a cheese?

GOOD ON YOU, MATE! :D

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:49 am 

Not done yet, 4 more parts to mold and then the sanding bit comes. But I am just so chuffed by what I CAN DO that I had to post!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:54 am 

wow haha but who needs nails when you have man tools?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:13 am 

wow
it's absolutely enjoyable to put hands on practice.
i'm looking forward to your shining cheese!

Leslie

ps. i can't see your facebook pics, so if possible please post a final pic in this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:18 am 

Leslie, I realize you can't see facebook and I will post the finished one here. It's just too many pictures to post on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:25 am 

katsmom wrote:
Leslie, I realize you can't see facebook and I will post the finished one here. It's just too many pictures to post on the forum.

One or 2 of the major ones would be ok though. They are really cool. Surely you could post just a few for the people who can't see them? I believe everyone would understand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:46 am 

I'm quite impressed.

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:36 pm 

the molds looks great

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 pm 

Another collector drawn into casting their own parts. So we now have you hand building and now casting, next we just have to get you learning CAD...

Great job Roxanne!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:34 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
Another collector drawn into casting their own parts. So we now have you hand building and now casting, next we just have to get you learning CAD...

Great job Roxanne!

Dave

I've been trying to convince her to design a puzzle and call it the "Roxism". :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 am 

This is a very slow project. Matt is back to work, and I'm afraid to go it on my own. It's my first time. Be gentle!

Tonight we have 6 pieces-well, 8 but two were unusable. One was crooked-I over tightened one rubberband and a piece of the mold broke off and was found floating in the piece. Another had an air bubble in it.

Anyway, It is time to cut off the flash and start the sanding. Tomorrow night, fine sanding and smoothing it out. after that-the core! It has to be done by 11 January so I can show it off :wink: And I had better get oohs and aahs for my first attempt Dr. Panda!

We got into one very tiny altercation-well, not really, but Matt raised his voice-I was holding that man tool wrong in the first bit and would have probably cut my hand off if he hadn't screamed for me to stop. I did burn my thumb on the bit that holds the bits in. I guess the safety cover was missing, and my hands are smaller than Matt's, he didn't think about it until I got burnt.

It's not finished in these pictures, but it looks better than Eve!

you can see them here

And for Leslie a teaser:
Attachment:
web024.jpg
web024.jpg [ 166.44 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

Attachment:
web027.jpg
web027.jpg [ 161.64 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

Attachment:
web043.jpg
web043.jpg [ 186.9 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

Attachment:
web051.jpg
web051.jpg [ 94.33 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

Attachment:
web057.jpg
web057.jpg [ 133.67 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

And a rather funny shot of me making a crazy 4x4 core in Smaz's shop (Just for Luckystar917) He trusts me with BIG man tools! :lol:
Attachment:
web001.jpg
web001.jpg [ 316.32 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 am 

Rox, I like the way you make your parts over dirty dishes in your pyjamas - very authentic! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 am 

You mean I'm supposed to do it a different way? :shock: I thought everyone did it like this!

:lol: Matt just told me when a MAN lets you play with your tools, you jump. There is no time to change clothes and put on make-up. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:12 pm 

So... what's with the choice of colors for the pieces?

katsmom wrote:
I did burn my thumb on the bit that holds the bits in.

Quote of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I did burn my thumb on the bit that holds the bits in.

I've done that with my dremel-type thing. It's not nice. :(

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:22 pm 

Color choice? We were playing with the dye to see how it worked. This one was only done for me to see if I could do it. You won't see me posting one of those "I made this puzzle and I need to sell it to get more money to make another one" No one but me will get these, so why not play with the colors.

To make it solvable, I will probably put some stickers of a nifty pattern on it. Who knows, I may just leave it as it is.

The dye we used was a powder, and it is hard to get the amount right. The first unusable piece was too dark-the blue looked black. For some reason the green takes over 6 hours to get hard, and it is still tacky even then.

The silicon was some stuff from Japan. It worked beautifully-I think it was hard in about 2 hours, but we left it sit overnight to be sure. Cheap enough. That can was around US$12.50. The plastic stuff was inexpensive too-6 packs of dye and the material cost around US$7.50. There is no name on the bottle. It was difficult enough to find it. (Shum Shui Po, Exit A, straight down two blocks, then turn right to the paint shop for those of you in HK who are interested)

That wasn't a dremel I was using, it was Matt's new Jewelers drill. Pretty cool. You work the speed of the thing with your foot-like a sewing machine. It is a lot easier for me to use than a dremel. Added to that, it seems to spin faster, and doesn't take as much pressure to grind out the bits. A nifty tool to have if you can find one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 am 

katsmom wrote:
The silicon was some stuff from Japan. It worked beautifully-I think it was hard in about 2 hours, but we left it sit overnight to be sure. Cheap enough. That can was around US$12.50. The plastic stuff was inexpensive too-6 packs of dye and the material cost around US$7.50. There is no name on the bottle. It was difficult enough to find it. (Shum Shui Po, Exit A, straight down two blocks, then turn right to the paint shop for those of you in HK who are interested)

Thanks! :D Is the quality good?

I have a dremel but I have no experiences at all. Just oversanded a megaminx-to-a-ball. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:43 pm 

Welcome to the world of Puzzle Building: Mold-Making and Casting. It was only a matter of time!

Aren't you glad Tony Fisher was right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:33 pm 

I bought a Dremel in December 2009 and still haven't opened the box. Perhaps this year I'll open it.