I figured I would post about the creation of the Duominx (see here
for the New Puzzles thread).
Oskar's original design was conceptually great, but I bumped into a major problem when building it: I couldn't put it together!
If it were all assembled the edges hold in the corners and the corners hold up the edges. But putting in the last corner (not to mention the first few...) there was nothing to hold up the edge pieces.
He has since redesigned a more standard style of mechanism, but this design was interesting and with some minor modifications to hold up the edges between the center posts I was able to build it. I also built up the corners for easier insertion. Later I found I could have changed the angles of thsi build up to fit tighter but haven't yet remade my molds.
Original masters with milliput before sanding
Masters in progress: bare corner, puttied corner, sanded corner. Core and centers are bare (top one prepared), edges are puttied and sanded.
Fully polished corner, bare corner. #2-56 screw and DIY A spring cut in half for size
Edges built up. Note the plastic edges on the one on the right where I over sanded and had to build up my build up
I mixed bare, prepared and cast pieces while I was still casting to build further.
Two faces built up. Note the hybrid pieces where half of the resin didn't cure properly. It is now solid, but never became opaque.
First face turning. The white pieces were from an old batch of resin so they didn't come out great, but good enough to prototype to check movement.
As is my habit (see the last few picture here
, I ran out of white half way through the prototype so wound up with a two tone again
Here it is with its cousins for size comparison:
The last is next to the 3x3x4 to show the 57mm height.
The completed all black version (sorry for the grainy cell phone photos).
Next to the Pro-Minx for comparison