Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pillowing in CAD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm 

Does anybody who is a pretty good designer know how to create good pillows on regular 3D shapes, such in the software Alibre Design? I am also seeking the person who may have created a bunch of shapes and things like a tetrahedron and such, and has made all pillowed versions of those too that can be edited in a CAD software, I am really looking for something like that or if anybody knows how to make good pillows in CAD.

Would really appreciate your guys help! Thanks

My Youtube and Shapeways

Post subject: Re: Pillowing in CAD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 pm 

Your going to love my answer: Make a sphere of a predetermined size, extrude cut it into the space you want it in, and then build your 3d shape their also. I found it helps to use the supress function and moving features around by draging. Not the best answer but it is the only way that I have found to make pillows in alibre design Xpress.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:06 pm 

It would be nice if somebody posted the 5 platonic solids, much like the dodecahedron and icosahedrons were posted, with a shallow and moderate pillow (and we would all love you forever). I do not know how hard it is to pillow in solidworks, but I have given up trying in alibre.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:07 pm 

Steryne wrote:
Your going to love my answer: Make a sphere of a predetermined size, extrude cut it into the space you want it in, and then build your 3d shape their also. I found it helps to use the supress function and moving features around by draging. Not the best answer but it is the only way that I have found to make pillows in alibre design Xpress.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, wouldn't it just create another sphere? Could you maybe post a picture of your example?

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 pm 

I no longer have SW ( :cry: ), but I do remember playing around with a "dome" function that could work well for this with the right settings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:50 pm 

I am sorry that I wasn't clear. I can't make the shape and then add a pillow, I make the pillow and then add the shape.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:36 am 

How can you make a "pillow" before/without defining the underlying shape?!! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:20 am 

by cutting up a sphere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 am 

The way I have created pillowed solids is to make a revolved solid with a spherical surface on each of the faces. I can adjust the radius of the spherical surface to change the degree of pillowing.

I have a pillowed cube and dodecahedron designed, and I have posted the IGES files below. The degree of pillowing cannot be adjusted, but the solids are available for anyone to use. The solids will need to be adjusted for scale, but that should not be too difficult to accomplish with any CAD program.

Attachments:
Pillowed cube and dodecahedron.zip [50.11 KiB]
Downloaded 80 times

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!