Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One on One Help With Molding and Casting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 am 

If anybody lives near or can come to the Seattle, WA area and give me tutoring on correct molding and casting procedures, and what to do when mistakes arise, I would Greatly appreciate it. We can probably arrange a place for you to stay too.

We can also just hang out and cube, if anybody is up for that.

Let me know, please.

Thank You

4x4: 1:39.55
5x5: 2:00.19 (new)
6x6: 5:09.79
7x7: 6:36.xx
3x3 BLD: 7:38.18 (at Nationals)
XBOX Live: L00K A DUCK 0s are zeros

Post subject: Re: One on One Help With Molding and Casting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:16 pm 

Is all this hand-holding really necessary? Learn by trial and error like the rest of us, or watch some of the Great tutorials put up by Drew and others. Seriously, wasting rubber and resin is a part of learning. Nobody said that making cast puzzles would be cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:37 pm 

This isn't really directed at Rubiksguy, just my overall feelings on the situation since recently it seems a bit out of hand.

I'm really new to it all as well. The forum has everything you need to learn. There are also good videos on youtube. The occasional asking of a question is one thing but there's been a lot of requests that seem to come from people who are too impatient to do a little searching. Trust me and believe, if you aren't patient enough to do some research, your molding/casting efforts will probably be disastrous, its not as easy as you may think, you will probably fail several times before getting it right.

I also don't think people realize how expensive it is to start. If you want to start out right you'll definitely spend at least $200. I spent closer to $300.

One last thing, if anyone thinks casting is going to make them money, you might as well think again, you're doing well to break even and slightly grow your collection. (I think a lot of people have this sort of mentality)

Again, I'm just venting a little here and not really directing this at Rubiksguy. I just think we need a sticky or something to prevent all these threads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 pm 

I'm not really defending myself, but I have done a lot of research online, talked to builders, watched Drewseph's and MacManRay's great tutorials.

I just think it would be nice to learn from people in person who have done this before. We all have different learning styles, and mine is Kinesthetic, hands on learning. It is difficult for me to absorb information from reading materials or watching things.

Besides, there have been threads about meeting up for competitions. Why not something casual. If people don't want to come, they don't have to.

By the way Garret, thank you for the advice on my mold. I think I was able to save it (knock on wood).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:05 pm 

tattooed wrote:
I also don't think people realize how expensive it is to start.

Found that out the hard way by looking it up and am now saving all I can.

tattooed wrote:
you're doing well to break even and slightly grow your collection

I think that that's what it's going to be like.

I finally sat down over my spring break and read some of the older posts, watched some videos and I'm now post-poning NOT abandoning my petaminx project. I'm going to slowly save up but in the mean time get some practice by modding some, casting some smaller puzzles and slowly work my way up, and even designing some, although, my 3x3x3 designs failed I just need to keep at it. There's alot in here for the interested person who has the time to read. And I really like the idea of a sticky but it should have links to certain posts people will need, like different modding designing or building posts or even sites, some of the tutorials on designing building or modding, or some just basic discussions that are good for general knowledge. I know I don't know much but I've now got a folder of at least 15 links to cubing related material.

However on the other hand:

Rubiksguy wrote:
Why not something casual

That's a great idea, and I'd love to come and do that, but I'm on the east coast and don't have the funds to make it; that and I'm a senior and high school and although my parents let me drive the four hours to my sisters college, I don't think they'll let me drive the 3 or 4 days to Seattle.

3x3x3 1:07
4x4x4 5:12
5x5x5 10:56

3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5 relay 17:59

I know they aren't great great but I'm proud because it's the best I can do. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 pm 

Rubiksguy wrote:
I'm not really defending myself, but I have done a lot of research online, talked to builders, watched Drewseph's and MacManRay's great tutorials.

I just think it would be nice to learn from people in person who have done this before. We all have different learning styles, and mine is Kinesthetic, hands on learning. It is difficult for me to absorb information from reading materials or watching things.

Besides, there have been threads about meeting up for competitions. Why not something casual. If people don't want to come, they don't have to.

By the way Garret, thank you for the advice on my mold. I think I was able to save it (knock on wood).

Please don't defend yourself, I apologize for posting that here, it would have fit in any number of recent threads. I think a good sticky is needed to really help everyone with basic questions. As for learning hands on, if you've watched and read everything out there, you should really take the leap and start, you may be surprised at how well you do, and if not there's a ton of people here who would field questions if asked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 pm 

tattooed wrote:
Rubiksguy wrote:

Please don't defend yourself, I apologize for posting that here, it would have fit in any number of recent threads. I think a good sticky is needed to really help everyone with basic questions. As for learning hands on, if you've watched and read everything out there, you should really take the leap and start, you may be surprised at how well you do, and if not there's a ton of people here who would field questions if asked.

I have started. i made a 6 piece mold for my 3rd gen Gigaminx v1 masters. I had some trouble with it which is why I posted this thread. It seems to have worked out now, thanks to Garrett's post on my other thread.

By the way, thank you for clearing up the confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am 

I would have recommended you not do a multi-piece mold for your first time out for various reasons but I'm glad Garrett was able to help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 am 

tattooed wrote:
I would have recommended you not do a multi-piece mold for your first time out for various reasons

Such as? I would like to know, once I get a bit more money I hope to start doing some small puzzles. I don't want to make to big of mistakes here and I'd like to get started on the right track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:51 pm 

Personally, I'd start off by making a small single piece mold. If it fails, you didn't waste a ton of time and rubber and can easily try again. I failed twice before making a good mold and I'm thankful I wasn't making a mold of every single piece to the puzzle.

You also need to consider how many of each piece you need for a puzzle. The RXM I did has 12 edges that are all the same. A multiple piece mold of all the same piece is good here, but if I had started out by making a big mold of all the unique masters, I'd end up casting every part 12 times just to get enough edges for one puzzle. It just doesn't make sense to do a mold like that, at least to me it makes no sense.

EDIT - by "single piece mold" I mean one puzzle piece/one mold. Not to be confused with 2 part mold.

Last edited by Derek Tolley on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:57 pm 

That actually makes alot of sense if you really think about it. Say you need 30 of one piece but only 15 of others, it seems to be alot easier and saves some material, the silicone rubber and plastic resin. thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I start building.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:52 pm 

I don't really see how you couldn't just....well let's do it this way...

Say I have a mold with 2 unique parts, PartA and PartB, similar size and shape

PartA I will need 20 pieces
PartB I only need 10 pieces

Couldn't I just pour resin 10 times in both pieces (so i would have 10 of PartA, needing 10 more pieces, and 10 of PartB) and then come back and only pour resin in the half of the mold where I need the other 10 pieces?

Seems like it would work fine to me...I don't see where that's wasting resin or rubber. I would think making 2 separate molds would be more wasteful than combining the two...unless, of course, you have PartA a small piece and PartB is huge...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:14 pm 

I'm not saying you couldn't do that, but I'd be slightly concerned about air bubbles due to the hollow cavity of the other part. Also you'd have to clean out that other side as well, not necessarily a bad thing but a pain in the butt when you could have avoided it by simply making two molds. Again, keep in mind I'm new to it all and fielding questions isn't easy for me as it would be for Frank or Drew or anyone else.

There's a lot of trial and error with casting, especially when super new to it all. I feel like I have my set up pretty ideal. In your hypothetical situation, I'd make both parts their own molds. Then for part A I'd make a mold from one cast piece and the master. Then you'd have a mold that would be two of the same part A piece. Now when you sit down to pour plastic 10 times, you have all the pieces you need. If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm 

That could work depending on what type of mold you have.

I I'd do the same as tattooed.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm 

I got one set of cast pieces out of my mold. When I removed them, the mold tore
Everybody, DON'T USE ALUMILITE RUBBER. Resin is fine, buy the rubber is terribly expensive and doesn't stand up well to force.

But, I learned a bunch.

Also, when using Drewseph's casting technique, is it important to fill up the deep pieces so much that the resin fills the entire mold, up to the rim on the outsde of the mold, or just enough so it overflows a little from the pier holes? Sorry, not very descriptive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:26 pm 

Rubiksguy wrote:
Also, when using Drewseph's casting technique, is it important to fill up the deep pieces so much that the resin fills the entire mold, up to the rim on the outsde of the mold, or just enough so it overflows a little from the pier holes? Sorry, not very descriptive.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you want just a little to run over, you don't want it to fill up to that rim or you'll be wasting a lot of resin, and I imagine it would make it harder to seat the 2nd part of the mould down in there well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:35 pm 

Rubiksguy wrote:
i just overflow it a little

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:42 pm 

tattooed wrote:
I'm not saying you couldn't do that, but I'd be slightly concerned about air bubbles due to the hollow cavity of the other part. Also you'd have to clean out that other side as well, not necessarily a bad thing but a pain in the butt when you could have avoided it by simply making two molds. Again, keep in mind I'm new to it all and fielding questions isn't easy for me as it would be for Frank or Drew or anyone else.

There's a lot of trial and error with casting, especially when super new to it all. I feel like I have my set up pretty ideal. In your hypothetical situation, I'd make both parts their own molds. Then for part A I'd make a mold from one cast piece and the master. Then you'd have a mold that would be two of the same part A piece. Now when you sit down to pour plastic 10 times, you have all the pieces you need. If that makes sense.

That last part makes perfect sense, though I'd rather spend the extra time pouring 20 individual pieces rather than use extra rubber to have multiples of the same piece. I guess that's just a personal preferrence though.