Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aleh's 3x3x3 Circle Cube, Internals
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:34 pm 

As promised, here are some pictures of the internals of Aleh's wonderful 3x3x3 Circle cube as posted here. I have uploaded Aleh's pictures to my site so they can be linked for easier viewing. I'll start with re-posting the exterior pictures:
Now we get to the internals.

Copied from the New Puzzles thread wrote:
Aleh's 3x3x3 Circlie Cube is built on a VCube 5x5x5. Each turn of the Circle Cube 3x3x3 face moves to the inner V5 slice so when you rotate it the centers of the adjoining face do not move.

The V5 corners and V5 outside edges are rounded and hidden in the puzzle. The outside Circle cube 3x3x3 pieces aren't connected to the inner puzzle at all, they are held in by the rounded extensions of the inner V5 center pieces.

So while you can solve the inner circle pieces with the same moves as solving the inner centers of a 5x5x5, doing this while also solving the outer 3x3x3 will require an other set of considerations.

Here you can see the cut down internal side edges and almost non-existent corners.
Here are the exterior pieces, the center circle of which is joined to the V5 center pieces. All in-the-circle pieces are joined with glue and all but the actual center piece (no room for a screw and little stress on this piece) are held securely by a counter sunk 0-80 pan head screw (just like I do for my Neon puzzle) into the V5 piece.

The outside edge and outside corner have a foot that fits below the center edge and center corner pieces. It is hard to see (center left of the photo), but the center edge also then has a foot then fits below foot of the outside pieces for further stability.

The shell is 3mm acrylic (1/8") and all the feet are done in 1.5mm acrylic (1/16"). Spacers are 4.5mm acrylic (3/16") or three layers of 1.5mm acrylic for the double foot center edge piece.
Here you see the top down view. You can see the outside edges fitting below the center edge, with the center edge foot then below the outside edge foot.
Bottom up of the top layer with the shell fixed to the V5 pieces. You can clearly see the center edge bottom foot here.

Enjoy,

Dave

P.S. For those who want to see detail, larger versions of the mechanism pictures can be found in the same directory (http://www.LitwinPuzzles.com/Aleh/Circle3x3x3) with the same names, but for lacking the " (Small)".

Last edited by DLitwin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aleh's 3x3x3 Circle Cube, Internals
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:38 pm 

:shock: Wow that is incredible. So much detail has gone into this puzzle. Amazing work

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 pm 

David, thanks for this insight. It is amazing how the pieces of a V-cube were used
to create yet another astounding puzzle.

What's next? Two circles in the middle by modifying a V7?

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:59 pm 

Taylor wrote:
The reason the centers don't turn is because you are actually turning the second layer down.(see attachments.)

Oh!!! So the outside 3x3x3 shell is really only attached to the second layer, which is why the circle doesn't rotate when the shell is rotated? The only moves that will affect the inner circle would be ones that affect the first layer, which on this puzzle are moves perpendicular to a specific circle? I think that's how it works?

The pictures really helped!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:32 am 

That´s so ingenious! Nice work Aleh and Dave!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 am 

Can you move only the middle on a v5 and the upper layer stay in place? I don't get the v5 mech.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 am 

This is an incredible puzzle, I must say. :D Nice work to the both of you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:05 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
David, thanks for this insight. It is amazing how the pieces of a V-cube were used
to create yet another astounding puzzle.

What's next? Two circles in the middle by modifying a V7?

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

I was thinking he should do something like this too, but, with 5x5 pieces on the outside instead... :shock:

This puzzle is amazing, I am amazed that anyone came up with this idea, it's very... complex, good job on both designing and building!

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm 

I am humbled by your genius.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:47 am 

I am very impressed. It took me a while of staring at the pictures to finally fully understand the mechanism.

I still believe that this puzzle is possible with another method of construction, but I have to say, this is much more efficient.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 am 

I've waited to remark on this puzzle because I simply don't know what I could say. Its brilliant and incredibly executed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:25 am 

Ok so let me get this straight:
The pieces inside the circle are the 9 centres of the 5x5x5, and the pieces outside of the circles are part of the second layer of the 5x5x5.
But: the part of the 3x3 edge outside of the circle, which part of the 5x5x5 is this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:34 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
the part of the 3x3 edge outside of the circle, which part of the 5x5x5 is this?

DLitwin wrote:
The V5 corners and V5 outside edges are rounded and hidden in the puzzle. The outside Circle cube 3x3x3 pieces aren't connected to the inner puzzle at all, they are held in by the rounded extensions of the inner V5 center pieces.