Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1x1x1 "Unit" cube to complete my collection...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:49 am 

Well, I was thinking about making one anyway. I have an Eastsheen 2x2x2, Rubik's 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. Finally I now have a V-Cube 6 (the 7x7x7 is just too expensive right now to justify the cost, plus it's technically no more a cube than an American regulation football is a sphere). I still may finally get one in due time, though...

The 5x5x5 I lubed with Dupont Silicone+Teflon Spray, tiled it with Cubesmith, played with it for a year-and-a-half, and now that it is completely broken in, turns like a dream (EDIT: I just lubed my Rubik's 4x4x4, and now the layers spin so well they'd put an EastSheen to shame!). So I decide to buy sets of Cubesmith tiles for all of my other cubes as well (and bright flourescent stickers for the V-Cube).

Well, right now I am away at school, and all my Cubesmith and Meffert's stuff (black Megaminx and white Pyraminx Crystal) is sitting at home since I haven't been back yet to pick them up (my mom always gets annoyed when there are several packages piled up waiting for me, because it means I need to "stop buying so much 'junk'").

I was imagining how my cube collection would look with all of my cubes lined up in a row, and it struck me something was missing: The 1x1x1 aka the "Unit" Cube! Seriously, the 1x1x1 needs a title, so I'll hereby declare it the "Unit" cube. So for some time, it has perplexed me how to make a professional looking Unit cube. My current idea is to take a Rubik's keychain cube, and "recycle" six of the old Eastsheen 2x2x2 stickers (if I can get them off without damage). I have not measured them, but I believe their size is fairly close.

But technically, it still won't be a Unit cube, rather instead a Rubik's 3x3x3 bandaged up like a mummy. I'd rather not waste a fully functional puzzle (despite it's being only $4.99 at Walgreen's) on something so trivial, but it's like the linear progression of my cube collection just won't be complete without it: Each cube will have slightly smaller cubies than the last, have an extra layer on all dimensions, and be slightly larger in size. Nobody starts counting at "Two".

Last edited by stardust4ever on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1x1x1 "Unit" cube to complete my collection...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:27 am 

How about just making a 1x1? All you need to do is take a corner cubie from a 3x3, cut the foot off, fill with apoxie, then sand and sticker (or tile). It's been done many times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:45 am 

They have been sold by huskyomega on Enay some time ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am 

I too would love to have a nice 1x1x1 cube. I was thinking about building mine myself. I don't expect the mechanics to be to difficult. LOL.

I want to share this link for anyone that wants to know more about the mighty 1x1x1 cube.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/HowTo:Solv ... k%27s_Cube

Its sure to bring a smile to any cube lovers face.

I laughed till I fell out of my chair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 pm 

LOL! I love the cheat!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm 

:lol:

Someone had a lot of time on their hands! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 pm 

You could always just buy one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9321&hilit=1x1+waiting+list

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 pm 

If you have trouble solving the cube, you can always check out this 1x1x1 solve video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfLg87lY6Fc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 am 

cubefan8 wrote:

Either I'd be really stupid waste of funds, or I'd just plain fall victim to a previous year's "October Fool's" prank!

Okay, I did finally get my 1x1x1 cube, and I didn't even have to butcher any "good" puzzles. My Rubik's keychain cube is just too precious to waste by bandage or mutilation. I went home over the weekend to find that not only did my Cubesmith tiles for 2, 3, and 4 cubes arrive (the professor I had tiled over a year ago), but also my Meffert's black stickered Megaminx and white Pyraminx Crystal! :mrgreen: But first things first, time to scrape off the old crappy Rubik's stickers! I had found an old "Chinese-junk" micro vending machine cube lying around that turned horrible, and I noticed that it was the exact same size as the Eastsheen 2x2x2 parts. The plastic this cube was made of was so poor in quality that my Scrape Rite plastic razor blade actually gouged tiny black slivers out of the cube as I removed the stickers, which also left a few dings in the blade. The Eastsheen stickers were "doable", meaning they managed to stick to the poor junk cubie without any glue. So now here is my completed collection of matching cubes, from 1 to 5, with Cubesmith tiles for all the "real" cubes (color enhanced to make up for bad lighting)...
Attachment:
File comment: My 5-Cube set is complete!
The Whole Set 12345 Sm Enhanced.jpg
The Whole Set 12345 Sm Enhanced.jpg [ 112.27 KiB | Viewed 3097 times ]

Fake: 1x1x1 (bandaged)
Eastsheen: 2x2x2
Rubik's: 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5
Not shown, V-Cube 6

BTW, in case any of you puzzle gurus noticed, I did the color scheme on the Revenge in reverse by accident; I have since fixed it by swapping the red/orange corner tiles corners and simply commuting the other pieces. The tiles did not lose any backing to the ScrapeRite blade, so they re-stuck flawlessly :mrgreen: