Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3D program
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 pm 

Hello,

I started 3D designing and 3D animating a quite long time ago, but while I see some of your posts about 3D designs, I can't always tell what 3D designing program some of you use. So if it is not a secret, please every 3D designer tell me what 3D program do you use? :?:

I use Cinema 4D and maybe later I will post some of my designs. :)

Thanks,
SzG

Post subject: Re: 3D program
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm 

I use SolidWorks. It's a wonderful program, and you can get it for around $100 from academic software sites if you are a student.

For a peek at how awesome SolidWorks is for designing puzzles, here's a shameless plug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a_DX8WDe8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:38 am 

SzG wrote:
So if it is not a secret, please every 3D designer tell me what 3D program do you use?
The most popular among TP designers is Solidworks (if you can afford it). I use SketchUp and Inventor (work copy) but others have also used PovRay, Rhino or FreeCad. A comprehensive list of CAD programs can be found here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 am 

I have summarised the information on the previous link and updated it, see the attached file.
Attachment:
File comment: CAD Software
CAD Software.doc [63 KiB]
Downloaded 32 times
The highlighted lines are the programs sometimes used by TP members.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:25 am 

I use to use Inventor and now use SolidWorks and there is a huge difference in performance. I love SolidWorks and am lucky enough to be able to use a copy provided by my highschool. If you have the money it's well worth it.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 pm 

What about for someone who hasn't done any 3D designing before (me)? Is SolidWorks a good program to start with, or is there a more beginner-friendly tool?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 pm 

Am I the only one that refuses to use Windows? I don't know of any Mac equivalent to SolidWorks. I designed this

<---

with Rhino (free beta version). Better in some ways than SolidWorks (I know Oskar relies on both), but it's not parametric. Meaning, in SolidWorks, as I understand it, you set it up so that you tweak your profile curve, and your puzzle is automatically regenerated. You can't do that in Rhino; you have to manually go through all the steps again. (Revolving, replicating across axes, slicing, etc.) And it's very easy to generate slices that make Rhino unhappy, so it will refuse to do the Booleans.

Also, Rhino's filleting is not very robust (or wasn't four years ago, anyway). I wound up writing an external, standalone post-processor for STL files that did some smoothing. Sort of worked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:37 pm 

LeifEricson wrote:
What about for someone who hasn't done any 3D designing before (me)? Is SolidWorks a good program to start with, or is there a more beginner-friendly tool?
Solidworks (and Inventor) has very steep learning curve IMHO. But the basic concepts of axes, planes, sketches and operations are not difficult to understand, but the GUI can be very confusing. You might need to read a SolidWorks bible book or look at some tutorial videos on YouTube.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm 

Gus wrote:
LeifEricson wrote:
Solidworks (and Inventor) has very steep learning curve IMHO. But the basic concepts of axes, planes, sketches and operations are not difficult to understand, but the GUI can be very confusing. You might need to read a SolidWorks bible book or look at some tutorial videos on YouTube.

I use solidworks, and I sort of agree with Gus. I had solidworks for a year and didn't use it apart from the first and last weeks I had it. I was extremely confuse in the beginning, it really put me off; then I didn't want to waste the year of having the software, so me and Ben emailed back and forth and he helped me understand the software and I was able to make the PentaMix. However in my eyes, design-wise it's quite simple but what I learnt from it has opened my eyes up to new puzzle ideas to which I was scared to even approach.

Even though the first runs you may have of solidworks may be intimidating and scary, it's worth persevering and doing something amazing, because it really becomes easier the more you use it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 pm 

Nice. My university actually has SolidWorks for free for students on its virtual computing lab. Even though I already graduated. I will definitely give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 pm 

@Bhearn: You aren't the only one who refuses to use Windows(I myself am a Linux user). Part of why I recommend FreeCAD everytime this topic comes up is because its the only 3D CAD program I've found that has a Linux version and doesn't suffer from a sheer cliff of a learning curve.

It has been roughly a year and a half since I last used FreeCAD on account of vision loss, but I remember the GUI being fairly straight forward to work with and making good use of just a small set of the tools available in the GUI. If I remember correctly, my Hex Crystal only involved use of FreeCad's primitives, drawing wires, revolving and extruding, boolean operators, and some copy and placement of finish pieces to get a tight packing of all the pieces needed before exporting to STL. The only real problems I can remember coming accross is having to manually calculate cooridinates for vertexes when drawing wires, having to manually create volumes to to subtract from parts to hollow them out(FreeCAD has a function that will shell a part, but at the time it was only available through the built-in scripting system which I never got the hang over), and Filleting my parts never went well(The Hex Crystal has sharp edges as a result, though its mechanism is simple enough that it doesn't negatively impact turning and I think the puzzle looks better without the rounded look).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 pm 

other Mac programs that might be worth some effort - Autodesk Inventor Fusion and 123D Design.

I keep meaning to try FreeCAD.

also OpenSCAD is cross-platform - quite a different kind of program, but if you come from a coding background, it isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:44 am 

Solidworks is a great program. I have used it in the past and it works really good. But you'll have to learn solidworks and it's actually really complicated. If you want to learn SW you should really check out the tutorials on the solidworks site. I started learning solidworks with the tutorials. But if you have access to solidworks I really encourage you to use it.

My Shapeways shop
My YouTube channel!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 pm 

If you are not a student anymore, it's really hard to find a nice CAD program.
Full versions of SolidWorks or AutoCAD are about 4000€.
Pointless.

Besides FreeCAD, I only found (here for Germany) the option to book a AutoCAD course and
get the chance to buy a upgradable licence for 190€ (!).
AutoCAD might be my favourite, because I have a nvidia 3D Vision-ready environment and
they support this as far as I've understood their product promo..

My (Kickstarter) Buccaneer 3D printer will arrive around May I guess.
So want to be prepared in a way of course ;)

Let's see..

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:51 am 

I have Mac too, that is the reason why I use Cinema 4D. I know it is a 3D animation program but I think It is easier to learn than others. The first when I tried it I was able to design a puzzle(of course not the most complicated) but It works. I want to try solidworks later but I think C4D is good for me.