Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hyperminx(4x4 minx): 1/8 parts done
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 pm 

Hi all, some of you may remember that I posted a thread a while back about the possibility of building a 4x4 minx and for reference, i call it the hyperminx. I've been working on the design for a long time, doodling mechanism parts and such in my notebooks during school and i finally feel i can begin designing the puzzle in 3D CAD(i'm going to use SolidEDGE because i have access to it through my dad's work). The mechanism stems from an eastsheen 4x4 and all the piece proportions will be expanded to fit the dodecahedral shape. To overcome the clearance issues facing the middle layers while turning, i will use caps that will form a rounded star shaped hole such that no layers will have mid-turn intersections. I anticipate seven distinct pieces(edge, corner, hidden edge, hidden center edge, center corner+cap[hopefully one piece], arm+cap[to hide the screw]) in addition to a recycled "stickered" PVC megaminx core. I'm hoping to use printto3d for the masters, but i'm also looking into FDMonly and other 3d printing services for the best price for the best pieces.

Design will start as soon as i am able to remote connect to a computer at my dad's work(hopefully within the week). Pictures will come as i see necessary or *maybe* to fulfill a request here or there. I'll keep this thread updated as much as possible.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex

Last edited by coastercrazy10 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hyperminx(4x4 minx)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:56 pm 

This sounds awesome! Ialways wondered what a 4x4 minx would look like.

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 pm 

I would love some pictures, i am personally having difficulty understanding how it works or what it would look like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm 

aww.... great job but that kinda sucks.. :(

I was planning on doing this puzzle, but I guess you beat me to it...
well, all I can say is... Good luck! I was just gonna call this the quadraminx by the way, I will probably also be designing one of these in the near future, tommorow I will get Cocreate and start on designing puzzles. Or maybe I should just skip straight to the 6-layered minx(guess it can't be called a hexaminx) maybe I could actually make a spanish name and call it the seis de minxo. :lol:

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm 

elijah516 wrote:

well, all I can say is... Good luck! I was just gonna call this the quadraminx by the way, I will probably also be designing one of these in the near future, tommorow I will get Cocreate and start on designing puzzles. Or maybe I should just skip straight to the 6-layered minx(guess it can't be called a hexaminx) maybe I could actually make a spanish name and call it the seis de minxo. :lol:

If you've never done any 3D cad before, i'd recommend making some less difficult things (like a 3x3/4x4 cube) to get the hang of the software you're using. And honestly i'd love to see another design for the hyperminx to compare my mech to. There's always room for more puzzles :D

and muffet: the old thread has a drawing of the outside of the puzzle. It's a bit rough but it should give you an idea.

-CC10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 pm 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
elijah516 wrote:

If you've never done any 3D cad before, i'd recommend making some less difficult things (like a 3x3/4x4 cube) to get the hang of the software you're using. And honestly i'd love to see another design for the hyperminx to compare my mech to. There's always room for more puzzles :D

and muffet: the old thread has a drawing of the outside of the puzzle. It's a bit rough but it should give you an idea.

-CC10

I have no intention of starting off easy. I like going straight for the hard stuff, but this is not going to be my first project. My first project will probably most likely be a 3x3x5 3D printed cuboid, or maybe a 4x4x1, haven't decided yet. The quadraminx will probably be my 3rd or 4th project.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 am 

Muffet wrote:
I would love some pictures, i am personally having difficulty understanding how it works or what it would look like.

PotatoSpades22095 wrote:
This sounds awesome! Ialways wondered what a 4x4 minx would look like.

Here you go guys glad I could help.

viewtopic.php?p=90918#p90918

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 pm 

Eh, my design strays a bit from that rendering, but it's good to give a general idea.

Anyway, i'm going to try to install SolidEdge V20 on my computer and see if it runs tomorrow and hopefully start making the core, arms, and the hidden edges/center edges. If all goes well i will post some screenshots of the work.

by the way, the cubies will have side lengths of 1cm, so a whole side is 4cm and the height comes out to 9 cm(4*height = 9*side length, from what i calculated). so it's just a bit bigger than a dogic and MUCH smaller than the gigaminxes i've seen. Maybe i'll design a gigaminx after this and make it a lot smaller and base it on the V-Cube5 mech. but that's putting the cart before the horse.

to wrap up, CAD work will likely start tomorrow. I have most of my dimensions figured out on paper, so i can start making a few pieces right off the bat.

-CC10

Post subject: Re: Hyperminx(4x4 minx): CAD work starts soon soon!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:30 pm 

Hats off to you if you can make one smaller than Drew's 1.5 . Thats about as small as I would like to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 pm 

Thanks, i didn't know about the prior posts. i wish i had solid works too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:02 pm 

Actually actually, drews gigaminx 1.5 looks to be about 9 cm tall compared to a 6 cm or so cube in his video here. so if i DID design a gigaminx it would probably be around the size of drew's gigaminx 1.5. sorry if my previous post sounded harsh or stuck up..i didn't realize how small drews 1.5 gigaminx actually was.

It'll certainly be smaller than the teraminx ;)

-CC10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
Hats off to you if you can make one smaller than Drew's 1.5 . Thats about as small as I would like to go.

how small is that exactly?

ha! nevermind, you answered my question right before I posted! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:32 pm 

Okay, i got my solidEDGE up and running and i decided to make the ES 4x4 parts first to get a handle back on the software. I finished three parts in about two hours...here are some screen shots:

Again, these are ES 4x4 parts, not hyperminx parts. I will hopefully be able to finish my ES 4x4 work and start on hyperminx stuff over thanksgiving break!

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but since minxes cannot do equator/middle layer turns i don't have to worry about the hidden layers, yes? Since the only way those layers could move is around an axis with the other layers, there's no need to worry about the middle layers going out of place and locking the puzzle up. Again, correct me if i'm wrong.

-CC10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:48 pm 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but since minxes cannot do equator/middle layer turns i don't have to worry about the hidden layers, yes? Since the only way those layers could move is around an axis with the other layers, there's no need to worry about the middle layers going out of place and locking the puzzle up. Again, correct me if i'm wrong

You are correct, which is why my Kilominx and Thomas' Impossible Megaminx can work without any blocking of the internal mechanism.

But while you don't have this problem, you do have the problem that the faces intersect each other on a turn. This is the case with any even dodecahedron face turning puzzle. Thomas and I present two different solutions to that problem, and you will have to solve it too. It is not clear to me that either of these solutions will work well on a 4 layer version.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
coastercrazy10 wrote:
Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but since minxes cannot do equator/middle layer turns i don't have to worry about the hidden layers, yes? Since the only way those layers could move is around an axis with the other layers, there's no need to worry about the middle layers going out of place and locking the puzzle up. Again, correct me if i'm wrong

You are correct, which is why my Kilominx and Thomas' Impossible Megaminx can work without any blocking of the internal mechanism.

But while you don't have this problem, you do have the problem that the faces intersect each other on a turn. This is the case with any even dodecahedron face turning puzzle. Thomas and I present two different solutions to that problem, and you will have to solve it too. It is not clear to me that either of these solutions will work well on a 4 layer version.

Dave

I think there are definitely more than 2 solutions to this problem, I came up with 3 ways at one point in time, but I can only think of 2 at the moment, or you could also make a new core that was able to turn diferently then the normal megaminx, which would be a third way, not sure if it would be succesful though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:30 am 

sorry to go a bit off topic, but have a Edges Only Megaminx ever seen the day? if not, then I am gonna jump on that idea RIGTH now!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:00 am 

Doubleyou wrote:
sorry to go a bit off topic, but have a Edges Only Megaminx ever seen the day? if not, then I am gonna jump on that idea RIGTH now!

Two words: Alexander's Star. Though an edges only minx that is dodecahedron shaped would be awesome still. Especially since Alex's Star was poorly built.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

Post subject: Re: Hyperminx(4x4 minx): 1/8 parts done
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 pm 

Update:

Took about 2-3 hours to get this piece right. I based this off of a "stickered"/PVC megaminx arm which is very similar to a meffert's megaminx arm. However, i included the correct angles and curves such that the circles that the parts rotate in is an actual circle and not a line/curve thing. Here are two screen shots:

If you see anything wrong with it PLEASE let me know. I don't want to start making pieces to work with this piece if there's some flaw with it.

As for the intersecting faces issue, my solution is to, in essense, take a gigaminx face, remove the center cap and center edges, and extend the center corners in such a manner that it makes a rounded star. Then obviously the edges will be truncated to allow for as little rounding as possible on the center corners which will actually be caps since i'm playing off the ES 4x4 mech.

-CC10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 pm 

If the mechanism works, then this should be very easy to tune up, because the screws will all be visible. :P Unless you plan to cover them up somehow?

Oh, and I'd like to suggest the alternate name, "Demi-Gigaminx", for this puzzle. It's basically a Gigaminx with a bunch of bits removed, anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 pm 

Jared wrote:
If the mechanism works, then this should be very easy to tune up, because the screws will all be visible. :P Unless you plan to cover them up somehow?

Oh, and I'd like to suggest the alternate name, "Demi-Gigaminx", for this puzzle. It's basically a Gigaminx with a bunch of bits removed, anyway. :)

Well technically this puzzle will have more pieces than a gigaminx (because ES 4x4 has more pieces than ES 5x5 due to caps) ;). And i do plan on making some caps for the arms as well, but that will most likely be after i get everything else printed and assembled so i can easily adjust the tension.

Also, i just remembered: The discoloration is due to my graphics card. My graphics card is old and my motherboard doesn't even have a slot for anything better, so when there are 3D objects on the screen sometimes there isn't correct shading. It's kinda lame, i know, but it's all i can do at this point.

-CC10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 pm 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
Jared wrote:

Well technically this puzzle will have more pieces than a gigaminx (because ES 4x4 has more pieces than ES 5x5 due to caps) ;). And i do plan on making some caps for the arms as well, but that will most likely be after i get everything else printed and assembled so i can easily adjust the tension.

Also, i just remembered: The discoloration is due to my graphics card. My graphics card is old and my motherboard doesn't even have a slot for anything better, so when there are 3D objects on the screen sometimes there isn't correct shading. It's kinda lame, i know, but it's all i can do at this point.

-CC10

So, after this the Demi-Teraminx shouldn't be too much harder now should it. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 pm 

Hee hee hee. (That's also another reason I suggested the name - it lends itself better to higher-order puzzles. :P)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:34 am 

Doubleyou wrote:

actually, there is one made by chinese guy which also created the 4x4x4 + 2x2x2.
http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/viewthread.php?ti ... a=page%3D1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 pm 

So how's it coming along? It's been at "1/8 parts done" for a few days now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 pm 

I've found an issue with the angles of the center arms, which all other geometry is playing off of. Until i can fix that issue i'm stalled.

-CC10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:57 pm 

cc10? If you plan on selling this some time in the future, would you think the overall work and value of this puzzle would be more or less than the gigaminx?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 am 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
I've found an issue with the angles of the center arms, which all other geometry is playing off of. Until i can fix that issue i'm stalled.

-CC10

Just a suggestion here, may be too late though. Would it make it simpler instead of creating an extra layer on a kilominx (angled second layer), or just combine a kilominx with a megaminx (center to center cuts & parallel face turns)?

P.S.
I have a paper model, but I cant find my camera...Ill post a pic later. :mrgreen:

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 am 

Arch Wolf wrote:
coastercrazy10 wrote:

-CC10

Just a suggestion here, may be too late though. Would it make it simpler instead of creating an extra layer on a kilominx (angled second layer), or just combine a kilominx with a megaminx (center to center cuts & parallel face turns)?

P.S.
I have a paper model, but I cant find my camera...Ill post a pic later. :mrgreen:

One other concept might be to give the arms of the mechanism a little springiness, kind of like the Impossiball.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm 

This is awesome.
I have also been working on a 4th order minx design in AutoCAD, since 2008. But I haven't progressed as far as you have.
Hyperminx sounds like a good name for it... A friend and I decided upon the name Myriaminx (Myria is the greek prefix for 10^4...appropriate as it is a 4-th order dodecahedron, and there is no real arbitrary nomenclature for even order minxes; by previous naming the Kilominx should be a first order minx)
ANYWAY. I respect your designs. Myself I haven't seen a ES mech, not having seen an ES 4x4 before...
My own designs are based on the v-cube 6 mech, and assumes that internal layers won't come out of alignment as the sides are not perpendicular but rather skew at 72º.
In addition I have made the designs compensate for any piece interference (at the centres) by utilising a concept similar to that used by Oskar van Deventer in his Kilominx.
I hope to print it late this year or early next year...delays mainly rooting in the fact that I have bulk exams this year...

Good luck with yours, your way ahead of me... but hey two puzzles of different mechs are always possible :P

--Dr Moon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 pm 

Just wanted to point out that hyperminx is already the unofficial name for this puzzle and I think it is much more appropriate for that puzzle. (seeing as a hypercube is a 4d object)

Peace,
Matt Galla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm 

Allagem wrote:
(seeing as a hypercube is a 4d object)

No it isn't. An hypercube is an n-dimensional object.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm 

I can't wait to see this puzzle finally made! :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm 

APJ: You should note that this topic was over a year old before "The Second Cuber" posted his comment. I don't know whether coastercrazy10 is still building this thing.

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
APJ: You should note that this topic was over a year old before "The Second Cuber" posted his comment. I don't know whether coastercrazy10 is still building this thing.

-π (Eitan)

Holy crap! You're right.... I totally missed that. How do people find these year old posts anyway? I really only pay attention to those that are on page 1 of each forum.
(but i still think hyperminx is a bad name, hyper- still implies a higher dimension to me)

Peace,
Matt Galla

PS Note to everyone else: the majority of this thread is over a year old!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 pm 

Sorry guys, my bad for bumping this post.

I didn't notice that it was over a year old :(
Sorry again.

--Dr Moon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm 

I did that same mistake too quite a few times. It's because if you click "View Unanswered Posts" you get a list of threads in no particular order.