Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Qubami update: VIDEO added!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm 

Steryne wrote:
I think that you should take a rubik's brand, a speedsolving cube a qubami and a protractor and tell us mathematically which one is the best and by what percent. ( I would get a really stiff rubik's store bought for that matter, It would give a better percent and might help with sales.)

Hmmm, I think I prefer your machine gun idea... :|

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:38 pm 

Steryne wrote:
I would get a really stiff rubik's store bought for that matter, It would give a better percent and might help with sales.

That would be fairly unethical. :?

That would be like holding a trial for a weight loss supplement and getting someone who worked out constantly, starved themselves, and just so happened to also take the weight loss suppliment...and then claiming that they're results are the average. I know Kelvin probably wouldn't take his comparisons quite as seriously, but fudging the numbers is still fudging the numbers...which is never good.

To be honest, after seeing the video I think Kelvin could get the best speed cube on the market and his would still beat it. The movement is indescribable. :shock:

- Billy

PS: Thanks for those purple piece shots, Kelvin. I can't wait to see one of those stickered. It will be gorgeous! :wink:

PPS: Why did you make clear cubes but no white?

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: New pictures!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:07 pm 

I know, it's been a LONG time since I last posted an update and you've probably been wondering what on earth I've been up to. In fact I've been very busy at work, but I did manage to make some progress on Qubami:

First, all the parts have arrived from China so I can now start assembling puzzles, but currently I have only metallic cyan, magenta and yellow labels with Qubami symbols. The rest of the custom labels (different plain and metallic colours, with and without symbols) will arrive later this week, and some of these will include the Qubami logo incorporated into the X symbol. For some reason I didn't include any logo in the first batch of labels, so unfortunately I have to wait for this next batch of labels to arrive with the logos before I can send out the first Qubami puzzles.

In the meantime, I managed to find and meet up with a local speedsolver to test the Qubami puzzle. He liked the concept, but I could see that he wasn't able to twist the puzzle as quickly as I had hoped, compared with his own competition speedcube. This worried me, but he explained that his speedcube had been finely tuned and well lubed, while the Qubami was not yet lubed but still turned better than his speedcube when he had just bought it. He also suggested that it may take a while to get used to the special shape and feel of the Qubami puzzle. Even so, the last thing I want is to set false expectations about the speedcubing potential of Qubami, so I asked him to keep it for a while and then post an honest review, which he promised to do later this week.

Hopefully my doubts about the speedcubing potential of Qubami are just me being paranoid, but I would prefer more speedsolvers to test it properly before I would feel comfortable selling it as a “speedcube”. So for those of you who have already pre-ordered a Qubami as a speedcube, please bear with me until I get more feedback on this at DCD next weekend. In fact if you’re planning to attend DCD yourself, then please do drop by for a twist, and then post your feedback here on the forum!

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of Qubami puzzles that I’ve been able to assemble so far. Please remember I don’t have all the different custom labels which will arrive later this week, so if you’ve already pre-ordered a puzzle then please wait until I post more pictures with all the different colour options (plus feedback on the speedcubing potential) before you confirm your order, or change your mind.

Attachment:
Qubami Purple & Black (base).JPG
Qubami Purple & Black (base).JPG [ 790.2 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Clear & Silver (base).JPG
Qubami Clear & Silver (base).JPG [ 808.7 KiB | Viewed 3093 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Purple & Black.JPG
Qubami Purple & Black.JPG [ 1023.77 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Clear & Silver.JPG
Qubami Clear & Silver.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 3094 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Black.JPG
Qubami Black.JPG [ 806.65 KiB | Viewed 3126 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Purple.JPG
Qubami Purple.JPG [ 811.45 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Clear.JPG
Qubami Clear.JPG [ 802.34 KiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami Silver.JPG
Qubami Silver.JPG [ 912.86 KiB | Viewed 3097 times ]

Last edited by KelvinS on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:11 pm 

Those Qubami(s?) look great - silver is a bit.....................um :? though. Maybe my competition standard speed cube will be put out of a job.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: Parts arrived!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm 

Show a "scrambled" picture of the purple one...PLEASE!!! :shock:

- Billy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:24 pm 

i can see the sales of cubesmith round stickers going up for some odd reason.... cant explain why

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:06 pm 

Really great pictures Kelvin! I can't wait to twist one next week. I'll hope you have all stickers by then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 pm 

Wow these look great! :D I would love to try one, but I would like some official feedback first, so I guess I'll just have to wait :?

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:36 pm 

I love the purple one :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the new pictures. The purple and black look fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:31 am 

...I really really hope someone makes an Axis cube out of one of these at some point. :P

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: Assembly begins...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:26 pm 

I have a LOT of respect for those poor guys in Chinese factories who work long hours putting twisty puzzles together by hand, especially after tonight. I'm not talking about the factory owners who make profits from copying other people's designs, of course, but rather the workers in the factories who are equally exploited by those same owners. It's now 2pm on Sunday night/Monday morning, and my wife Ana and I have managed to assemble 49 purple Qubami puzzles (without labels) since putting our kids to bed at 9pm. And it was hard work! Especially as we had to use manual screwdrivers, for fear that the power tool I have would wake up the baby. :lol:

But actually I have to say it was a nice experience. For the past several weeks I have been very much focused on Qubami and so we have not been able to spend much time together. But tonight we spent hours chatting with each other while putting together Qubami puzzles and realizing that what I had kept talking about for so long was finally becoming reality. That was a nice feeling. But also I realize I owe my wife so much for being so supportive and understanding.

And in the meantime, tomorrow is black Qubami night! :wink:

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:42 pm 

Do you think that if we preordered we will have recieved them before Christmas?

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 am 

philliesrule3690 wrote:
Do you think that if we preordered we will have recieved them before Christmas?

Just to confirm, I'll be able to start sending out Qubami puzzles early next week, as soon as I have posted more pictures later this week with all the different label colours (these are already on their way over to me in the post) and I will also have some feedback from the DCD this weekend on speedcubing potential. Hopefully some of the participants who test the puzzle will also post their own reviews right after the event, so that those who have pre-ordered a puzzle can make their final decisions based on unbiased opinions...

Again, sorry for the slight delay, but I decided to hold back for just a little while longer to make sure I don't set false expectations... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:34 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
And in the meantime, tomorrow is black Qubami night! :wink:

I hope 'black' is referring to Qubami and you don't have to work in the dark :wink:

When is Clear Qubami Night?
(and don't wake the baby :D )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 am 

What is it about the purple Qubami? For some reason it really appeals to me! And I generally don't like any other than white and black puzzles! It just feels so "Qubamish"! :roll:

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: Parts arrived!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 am 

lonogod wrote:
Show a "scrambled" picture of the purple one...PLEASE!!! :shock:

- Billy

PIC :mrgreen:
(I think you would rather a solved pic)

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 am 

Hello everyone,

I have the privilege to own a Qubami, so I managed to write a little review on it. You can find it here: http://polycube.epfl.ch/webdav/site/pol ... qubami.pdf

I hope it will interest you.

Sven

PS: Kelvin, the purple version looks great

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:46 am 

Wow, that's awesome. I'm really fond of the way the white looks, it seems to almost give off its own light. This is one of the first times I can say I've favored a white cube over a black one. :D

And, as everyone else seems to think, the purple looks amazing too!

EDIT: I saw that you were trying to find a retailer to sell your puzzle at...

Why not Barnes and Noble? They sell a lot of puzzles there. (most Rubik's brand products, Sphere XYZ, Hanayama Cast Puzzles, etc.)

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

Last edited by Kapusta on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 am 

Dito!

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:07 am 

sgowal wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have the privilege to own a Qubami, so I managed to write a little review on it. You can find it here: http://polycube.epfl.ch/webdav/site/pol ... qubami.pdf

I hope it will interest you.

Sven

PS: Kelvin, the purple version looks great

Many thanks indeed, Sven, I think this is a very fair review.

Also, thanks to your feedback I realize now that I need to communicate the concept and objective of Qubami much more clearly. :wink:

PS. For those who don't know him personally, Sven organized the recent 2009 Swiss Open in Lausanne, and averages around 20 seconds to solve the standard Rubik's Cube (i.e., a bit faster than 5+ hours for Qubami!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm 

how much will these be? cuz atm i have ÂŁ20 for a 5x5, more modding cubes, this and cod mw2...

so yeah im broke :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:40 pm 

$35, which is currently (At this exact moment) ÂŁ22.16

The review really helped :) Any word on when these will be ready for despatch?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:11 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
early next week

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 am 

I must say having read through all of your posts, I am indeed intrigued. I will definitely be sending a pm shortly. Your purples are absolutely gorgeous!!! (purple is my favorite color, btw) :mrgreen:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
The rest of the custom labels (different plain and metallic colours, with and without symbols) will arrive later this week, and some of these will include the Qubami logo incorporated into the X symbol.
Any previews of those, and will I be able to preorder with the Qubami logos? Thanks again, your puzzle is just so super awesome!!! :mrgreen:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
It sounds simple, but it has over 43 million trillion combinations, only one unique solution, and you have to work out where each block goes in the first place. The chances of solving it are similar to finding a single grain of rice over the entire surface of the planet, and there are over 100,000 different puzzles each with its own unique solution.
100,000 differnt puzzles? :shock: In that case, is each individual Qubami puzzle different, with a unique solution? If that is so, I definitely will want to buy two :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:01 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
I must say having read through all of your posts, I am indeed intrigued. I will definitely be sending a pm shortly. Your purples are absolutely gorgeous!!! (purple is my favorite color, btw) :mrgreen:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
The rest of the custom labels (different plain and metallic colours, with and without symbols) will arrive later this week, and some of these will include the Qubami logo incorporated into the X symbol.
Any previews of those, and will I be able to preorder with the Qubami logos? Thanks again, your puzzle is just so super awesome!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks, and yes, I'll post pictures of all the different labels options as soon as I receive them this later week (they are currently in transit). All Qubami puzzles (3 colours with symbols) will carry the Qubami logo incorporated into just one of the X symbols, but the logo will NOT appear on any plain "speedcubing" versions of the classic 3x3 (6 colours without symbols), as the logo is only associated with the Qubami concept.

stardust4ever wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
It sounds simple, but it has over 43 million trillion combinations, and only one secret solution as you have to work out where each block goes in the first place. The chances of solving it are similar to finding a single grain of rice over the entire surface of the planet, and there are over 100,000 different puzzle configurations each with its own secret solution.
100,000 differnt puzzles? :shock: In that case, is each individual Qubami puzzle different, with a unique solution? If that is so, I definitely will want to buy two :mrgreen:
Yes, each of the 100,000+ different Qubami puzzle configurations has its own secret solution that you have to figure out. In fact you can see this from the different arrangement of symbols in the four puzzles (black, purple, clear, silver) shown in the photos above. In that respect Qubami is much more like sudoku, where each puzzle is different and has its own hidden solution, and less like Rubik's Cube where every puzzle is identical with the same known solution...

Kapusta wrote:
Wow, that's awesome. I'm really fond of the way the white looks, it seems to almost give off its own light. This is one of the first times I can say I've favored a white cube over a black one. :D
That's because the stickers are printed on metallic foil, so they are silver on the inside and reflect any light that enters the cube back out through the transparent plastic...

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:21 pm 

I was mulling over the dynamics of the Qubami puzzle in my mind, and came to a couple of realizations.

The only way to properly tile a 3x3 square in 3 colors so that each row/ columb has one of each, is too have one of the colors (I'll use Blue) form a diagonal. The each other color (red/yellow) will share one corner each, and form an isosceles triangle with the remaining pairs. There are only three combinations, each with a different color on the diagonal, with 4 possible orientations apiece. Next add the symbols. In order for each tile to be unique, the symbols must run along the opposite diagonal that the colors do:
Attachment:
Qubami Pattern.PNG
Qubami Pattern.PNG [ 3.96 KiB | Viewed 4973 times ]

So that is nine possible patterns, times four orientations, plus mirror images:
3x3x4x2= 72 patters including reflections and rotations. Next, each cube has two each red, blue, and yellow face centers. Like face centers are always adjacent, so barring rotations and reflections of the whole cube, there is only one color configuration. When the patterns are thrown into the mix, the uniqueness is dependent on the pattern sides not having the exact same orientation of the color sides (7/8), otherwise the puzzle would become redundant. Now that all of the face centers have been defined, start with the puzzle in it's color-solved state (by color method), and rearrange the pieces so that it solves the 3-colors-per-row rule and piece orientation has not been violated. Repeat the process for the cube in it's solved-symbol state, with another separate re-arrangement of pieces that leads to the scramble-solved state. By mapping all the pieces colors/symbols out independently (most likely using some type of psuedo-random software routine to generate the cubes), it's possible to generate unique Qubami cubes every time :mrgreen:

= = = = = = =
Only one technical problem I see with this is if these get mass-produced on a grand scale, for each cube to be totally unique, a custom generated template would have to be printed for each and every cube, and quality control of the exact pattern-placement of the stickers would be paramount, otherwise "defective" cubes with unsolvable symbol or pattern states may be introduced by simple human error. Whether a person eventually solves the puzzle or not is moot if the cube contains a sticker placement defect resulting in one or more of the three possible "solved" states being invalid.

Anyways, I wish you luck, and I will be sending you my order via PM once I see the new label options - metallic dome labels sounds really nice :wink: And each cube have three unique solved states: symbol solve, color solve, and pattern solve - :solved: :solved: :scrambled: - you sir, are a genius :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:00 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
The only way to properly tile a 3x3 square in 3 colors so that each row/ columb has one of each, is too have one of the colors (I'll use Blue) form a diagonal. The each other color (red/yellow) will share one corner each, and form an isosceles triangle with the remaining pairs. There are only three combinations, each with a different color on the diagonal, with 4 possible orientations apiece. Next add the symbols. In order for each tile to be unique, the symbols must run along the opposite diagonal that the colors do:
Attachment:
Qubami Pattern.PNG

So that is nine possible patterns, times four orientations, plus mirror images:
3x3x4x2= 72 patters including reflections and rotations...
Ah, but who says each tile has to be unique?? In fact, any one or more (or none) of the faces in the scrambled state may include only 3 unique tiles, if the colours happen to correspond with the symbols on that face (so that the diagonals are the same). This gives many more possible solutions. Additionally, some puzzles with different ordered starting points DO in fact share the same solution, but of course it is very difficult to tell which puzzles are related, just by looking. :D

stardust4ever wrote:
Only one technical problem I see with this is if these get mass-produced on a grand scale, for each cube to be totally unique, a custom generated template would have to be printed for each and every cube, and quality control of the exact pattern-placement of the stickers would be paramount, otherwise "defective" cubes with unsolvable symbol or pattern states may be introduced by simple human error. Whether a person eventually solves the puzzle or not is moot if the cube contains a sticker placement defect resulting in one or more of the three possible "solved" states being invalid.
Yes, you have raised a very good point, which has been of great concern to me. Getting just one puzzle with the wrong labels would make it insolvable and this would completely damage the credibility of the Qubami puzzle and brand. This is especially important when the labels are applied by hand, which is why I do this myself at the moment, using a database I created where all the configurations have been carefully evaluated. Luckily it will not be a problem for mass production, however, because the labels will be printed in their starting configurations direct from the database, then robots will apply these directly to the puzzles to eliminate human error. In fact this means I can guarantee that each puzzle has exactly one unique solution, while any KOs would have great difficulty to ensure this and maintain such credibility, as they would undoubtedly have them made by cheap workers and they do not have access to my database in any case, while pictures of the puzzle only show three sides. :wink:

stardust4ever wrote:
Anyways, I wish you luck, and I will be sending you my order via PM once I see the new label options - metallic dome labels sounds really nice :wink: And each cube have three unique solved states: symbol solve, color solve, and pattern solve - :solved: :solved: :scrambled: - you sir, are a genius :mrgreen:
Many thanks, but remember I can't solve this puzzle myself! :oops: So the true geniuses are those four people who have managed to solve a Qubami puzzle so far, and anyone else who can solve one... :D

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: Photos of label options!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:47 am 

This morning I received all the labels, which I have applied to all four base colours (purple, black, clear and silver), as shown in the pictures below. In each puzzle, the top row contains the 3 standard Qubami colours (cyan, yellow, magenta), while the bottom two rows contain the 6 standard 3x3 colours (blue, green, white, yellow, red, orange), and the effects are different in each picture:

METALLIC colours WITH Qubami symbols, printed on metallic foil:
Attachment:
Qubami metallic symbols.JPG
Qubami metallic symbols.JPG [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 3112 times ]

PLAIN (non-metallic) colours WITH Qubami symbols, printed on white vinyl:
Attachment:
Qubami plain symbols.JPG
Qubami plain symbols.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 3106 times ]

METALLIC colours WITHOUT symbols, printed on metallic foil:
Attachment:
Standard metallic colours.JPG
Standard metallic colours.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 3105 times ]

PLAIN (non-metallic) colours WITHOUT symbols, printed on white vinyl:
Attachment:
Standard plain colours.JPG
Standard plain colours.JPG [ 994.33 KiB | Viewed 3101 times ]

For some reason I completely forgot to print plain black labels (sorry! :oops: ), but I hope the options available will keep everyone happy: 4 base colours, plus 16 label colours (8 plain, 8 metallic), with or without symbols... :D

Now I will update the custom order thread with instructions, but I also need to start applying all those stickers in time for DCD this weekend! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:11 am 

DARN, I was hoping to see a white one. If it is okay with your master plan, I asked for black but white looks better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:30 am 

Will diys be available at discounted cost?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:24 am 

Steryne wrote:
DARN, I was hoping to see a white one. If it is okay with your master plan, I asked for black but white looks better.
I know, I kicked myself when I realize I forgot to order black, so I will try to order this separately but it may take a while. :( Still, I'm pleased you actually prefer the white. :D (or silver, if you like the metallic effect?)

malevolant wrote:
Will diys be available at discounted cost?
Unfortunately no, partly because I need to apply the symbols in very specific positions (at least for Qubami format), but mainly because I'm not even factoring my time to assemble the puzzles into the cost, as I explained previously. :(

A couple of questions were raised by PM, which I would like to address here:

1. For some reason the plain non-metallic labels printed on white vinyl are slightly mis-shapen as they did not cut so well, but these were not part of the original offer in any case, so please consider these as just an alternative option, albeit with slight defects. On the other hand the metallic labels printed on foil all seem nice and perfectly round, so I would recommend the metallic colours/labels if you want perfect circles.

2. Some of the labels appear slightly wonky (not quite at 45 degrees), or off-center, because I applied these quickly by hand only to show the different options. Rest assured I will take much more care when applying labels to puzzles for sale! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:46 am 

...Wait, the regular Qubami stickers are magenta, not red?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am 

I'm liking the metallic colours :D! Awesome!

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:28 am 

Jared wrote:
...Wait, the regular Qubami stickers are magenta, not red?
Well, yes, in fact that's what I've had in all the pictures of Qubami so far, but they actually appear quite red on the metallic foil. People percieve colours differently, which is precisely why I wanted to show pictures of all the different colours, as they actually appear, rather than just using words, which are after all only labels. So now people can pick the colours they really prefer. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am 

I too like the metallic colors over the plain colors. The silver metallic sticker seem hard to see from the photos you've posted. Is there any possibility of a white metallic sticker as a replacement?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:12 pm 

blizzard_kb wrote:
I too like the metallic colors over the plain colors. The silver metallic sticker seem hard to see from the photos you've posted. Is there any possibility of a white metallic sticker as a replacement?
Hmmm... Silver and white labels are just different base materials (metallic foil or white vinyl) with no colour printed, so I don't think it will be possible to get a "white-silver" colour. In fact I'm struggling to think what this would look like? So, I think it's a case of choosing white OR silver (or both, if you like), but not something in between...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:04 pm 

In your pictures you have the puzzle arranged with two adjacent sides of the same color. Is it possible to have an alternate start state of two adjacent sides of the same symbol? Can both be done with the same Qubami arrangement?

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
In your pictures you have the puzzle arranged with two adjacent sides of the same color. Is it possible to have an alternate start state of two adjacent sides of the same symbol? Can both be done with the same Qubami arrangement?
Yes, because there are three edge pieces with each pair of two different colours (where the symbols may be different), and also three edge pieces with each pair of two different symbols (where the colours may be different). That means there are several alternative ordered configurations (based on either colours OR symbols) for each puzzle, but still only one scrambled solution.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:41 am 

One observation that I have made looking at the photos of your labels, is that the metallic dome options for the red and the yellow seem a lot closer to the plain options for red and yellow in the photographs, compared to the other metallic colors, which look more, metallic. Is this caused by the dyes, or is it something to do with the angle of the lighting in the photos???

Also, do you have a mock order form or format you'd like for us when we PM our final requests???
EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14486

Thanks again for your hard work :D

Last edited by stardust4ever on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:22 am 

To me, the metallic stickers make it seem more bumpy and raised, which i reallly like, is that really true is it just the angle of the camera?

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:11 pm 

I still find the original black + Qubami labels to be the most visually striking. They all look pretty good though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
One observation that I have made looking at the photos of your labels, is that the metallic dome options for the red and the yellow seem a lot closer to the plain options for red and yellow in the photographs, compared to the other metallic colors, which look more, metallic. Is this caused by the dyes, or is it something to do with the angle of the lighting in the photos???
Partly it is the angle, but the yellow ink (which is also mixed with magenta to make red) is slightly less transparent (more opaque) than the cyan and magenta inks, so red and yellow are not as metallic-looking as the other colours, although they still do look metallic compared to the plain colours printed on white vinyl.

MonkeyZ wrote:
To me, the metallic stickers make it seem more bumpy and raised, which i reallly like, is that really true is it just the angle of the camera?
All the metallic and plain labels appear (to me at least) just as bumpy and raised, and you can see this better if you look at the labels on the top and bottom faces in each of the pictures. It's just a bit disappointing that the plain labels did not cut as cleanly as the metallic domed labels, which are very nice and round.

Post subject: Re: Qubami update: Feedback from DCD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm 

As you know I took some Qubami's along with me to DCD, so I thought I would let you know how that went...

In total I managed to take along 48 fully assembled and stickered Qubami puzzles (12 in each base colour: black, clear, purple and silver, with standard metallic cyan, yellow and magenta labels). I was stickering up puzzles most of Thursday and Friday night because the labels arrived only on Thursday, just before my trip to DCD on Saturday morning. During the course of Sunday, all 48 puzzles were sold (at 24 Euros = 35 USD each), so I would like to thank (and congratulate) those of you who are now among the first people to own a Qubami! I hope the puzzle has exceeded your expectations and will keep you ... well ... very puzzled for some time, but your honest comments and feedback (both good and bad bits, in terms of the challenge, play value, design, feel, movement, quality, etc.) would be appreciated by those yet to decide, now that you actually have one in your hands!

Apologies for not having the time to respond to PMs since Thursday, I will now focus on replying to your messages and meeting any outstanding orders throughout this week (and next week, if necessary), if you could please confirm your orders as explained here (for those who have not already done so). Please remember your address.

Last week I managed to assemble almost 200 puzzles before the labels arrived, so now I just have to apply the stickers to meet each order, but that shouldn't take too long at all... :D

Many thanks for all your support, and I look forward to designing the packaging - with your input, of course!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:57 am 

I am proud owner of two QUBAMI´s. I have got them on the DCD. It is best quality. Looks and plays perfect. Thanks again to Kelvin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:08 am 

Time for a coming out.
I now own two Qubamis. One traditional one in my favorite color scheme and one of these three-goals cubes.
Kelvin! What have you done? It will take an awful lot of time to calculate the number of possible solutions. (Solutions, not goals!) Argh!
Despite that rather abstract problem I still have to fulfill the third goal, yet. Double-Argh!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:23 am 

This puzzle is pretty great. It look absolutely amazing, with the overly rounded pieces and the bubbly, stickers. But how to solve one! I have finally found a new challenge.
The only downside: the turning is fantastic, but the corner-cutting seems to be less from the video, but still pretty nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:55 am 

Many thanks for all the feedback so far.

I also saw that Charlie Cooper who bought one has posted some nice comments on the speedsolving forum, in case anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am 

Qubami? Pff, solved it on my fifth try in less than 30 minutes. Pretty tough to figure out though...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
Qubami? Pff, solved it on my fifth try in less than 30 minutes. Pretty tough to figure out though...

Fantastic job, well done, you're a lot smarter than I am!

Can you post pictures of the solution? I can't remember if you got a "symmetric" QUBAMI, with all 9 different colour-symbol combinations on every face, or an "asymmetric" one, with only 3 colour-symbol combinations on some of the faces.

Also, what method did you use? How did you manage to solve (scramble) it?

PS. Maybe I should start working already on the 4x4... :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next