Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: F2L help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:34 pm 

okay, i know that this might be one of about 400 topics on the f2l, but i need to get my ave f2l time down to about 8-10 seconds soon. i'm currently taking 12-17 seconds on average to solve the f2l and that's the average total time i want to take for the entire cube.

i want only sub-20 or better yet sub-15 cubers to either give advice or link me to a site or previous topic that might help me.

my goal is to be sub-20 by spring and sub-15 by next fall.

ps
i'm using an adapted version of the fridrich method if you wanted to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:39 pm 

Sorry I'm not sub 15, but I hope some of this will help (I'm sure you've heard it anyway...):

-Be able to anticipate everything.
If you find yourself pausing at all you're going too fast. Slow yourself down until you are always doing something useful, and then get faster. During preinspection, try to anticipate where your first corner edge pair will be.

-Reduce move count
Learn to figure out an x-cross all during 15 second preinspection. Sometimes you might see that when you solve your cross (during preinspection), a corner or an edge might be solved as well. If your cross solve ends in D, D', or D2, you can use working edge/corner method before your last D to make an x-cross. Also, you could try to incorporate multislotting in your solves. Multislotting is doing something extra while inserting a corner edge pair to make the next one an easier case. Check out the international speedcubing forums for some stuff on multislotting. I don't use multislotting all the time like Jean Pons and others do, but I use it occasionally. You can cut your f2l down to 32 moves with pure fridrich and multislotting.
You may also try Ryan Heises f2l method (basically petrus) which is many fewer moves but much harder to perform at full speed.

-Reduce cube Rotations:
Sometimes its faster to do more moves. Find other f2l algs that minimize cube rotations.
For example: Do R' U R U y R U R' y' on a solved f2l.
For this case, I used to do the inverse of this case for a 7 move solution, but with two cube rotations. You're better off if you do U' R' U R U R' U R, which is a move longer, but faster to perform. Of course you should still use cube rotations to make awkward moves like F' U' F or something faster, but if you can try to change the cube rotation to a d or d' move as opposed to y' U or y U'.

I hope someof that helps, if not, oh well, I hope it helps someone.

What exactly is your adaptation of the fridrich method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:49 pm 

uberstuberizzle wrote:
I don't use multislotting all the time like Jean Pons and others do

Hmm, how sure are you about this? About 2-3 months ago I chatted with Sebastian Felix who does use it and he said Jean doesn't. I also never heard of anyone except Sebastian to use it.

Quote:
For this case, I used to do the inverse of this case for a 7 move solution, but with two cube rotations. You're better off if you do U' R' U R U R' U R, which is a move longer, but faster to perform.

This doesn't work for me, can you fix it?

Post subject: Re: F2L help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 am 

you know jordan, fingertricks and f2l only brings ur time down by a little. you have to train yourself to look on as you do one move. you can start by using a metronome and with a slow 50 beats per minute. one turn per beat. As you get better at it, raise the metronome speed to about 60 or higher and eventually you'll be pro.

btw, this advice is from macky, i never bothered to listen because homework is always first!

good luck

-chris joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:39 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
uberstuberizzle wrote:
I don't use multislotting all the time like Jean Pons and others do

Hmm, how sure are you about this? About 2-3 months ago I chatted with Sebastian Felix who does use it and he said Jean doesn't. I also never heard of anyone except Sebastian to use it.

I'm not sure at all, I was just under the impression that both Sebastian and Jean used multislotting.

Quote:
For this case, I used to do the inverse of this case for a 7 move solution, but with two cube rotations. You're better off if you do U' R' U R U R' U R, which is a move longer, but faster to perform.

This doesn't work for me, can you fix it?

Sorry about the alg, I have no clue what I was trying to say! Basically it was just an example that showed that using more moves can be better than using cube rotations.