Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Improving on cross and F2L
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:10 pm 

Ok, so my weak points are clear:

1) forming the darn cross. I could take 5 minutes to pre-inspect and still not come up with a good solution. I tried the tutorials at Dan Harris's cubestation (thanx Dan) but all the examples there have only one edge "incorrectly flipped." If I have a configuration that has 2+ of those, the cross can take me 12 moves or more - 4 for each of those bad edges. How do I get better?

2) How on earth do you speed up F2L? Too often I spend 5 seconds or MORE just trying to locate a corner-edge pair. I was once a top cross-solver and have switched to the bottom, and now triggers are easier but finding the pairs is not. Not even the teeniest bit. Any tips?? Thanques!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 pm 

1) for the cross, practice using fewest moves, doing it without timing. You will quickly start to notice patterns taht you can easily recognize later. Practice fewest moves until you can can solidly get sub 7 moves every time. To aid in this (as dan says in his tutorial), know the color scheme backwards and forwards. This will allow you to make the cross out of position, and simply use D, D', or D2 to finish it. This also allows for east recognition of the first F2L pair. A lot of the cross is just practicing logic and planning your road map better. Fewest moves will hlep this.

2) for the F2L pairs, recognition is a major pain to learn, no if's, and's, or but's. A major step is knowing all the pair cases like the back of your hand. I wouldn't worry about times yet until you know all of the cases within a split second of seeing it. If you know all the cases like that and are worried solely about seeing them faster, there are a few things you can do. Let me start by saying that the main goal in a fast F2L is not stopping at all to look for things. That's wasted time. While doing the cross, you should be looking for the 1st F2L pair. While doing the first F2L pair, you should be looking for the 2nd pair etc etc. What I do is rotate the cube so that I see the L, R, F, B, and U faces within the time that I am doing the prior step. you will guaranteed see both pieces for the pair in that time.

Probably my favorite way to improve F2L recognition is by using a metronome (a method stolen from Katsu). Put the metronome on 60 bpm, and for every click, you should be doing a *USEFUL* turn. No U U U U U U.....while you look for other stuff. This will MAKE you look by giving you a restriction. Once you are comfortable at 60, gradually increase the speed.

FInally, the cardinal speedcubing rule: go slow to go fast. you should never be turning more than 3 turns a second, because then you can't see anything but a blur of pieces. If you slow yourself down, you will be surprised at your times.

Hope this helps,
Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:46 pm 

My mother has always used the expression "More speed, less hurry"

If you teach your hands to make the movements smoothly, they will get faster and faster.

If you directly try to move faster, you will waste a lot of movement (thus time)

I solve the cube much fasters now than I did before starting on Fridrich, but I feel like I go really slow. I solve at 40 to 50 seconds, but I still spend a lot of time looking.

I think it was Macky (and probably others) who mentioned on his site that to get better at the cross, you should do it slowly.
Practice doing it with your eyes closed until you can do all 4 edges "blind".
When you can do it "blind", you can start looking for the first edge-pair.

Ignoring all other cubies, there can't that many possible positions for the 4 edges...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 pm 

Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna try them out this weekend. I'll definitely have to work on case recognition. LOL, Quinn, you guessed it exactly, I'm always like, U...U...U...U...U...U'...no, U was better...no, I guess U' was right after all...oh, look, the C-E pair doesn't even match, haha!