Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hai.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:10 am 

Hi.. im new.. 13 yrs old.. (well almost ><)

well basically at first, i started with layer by layer
First layer
Seond layer andd i forgot the names :|.. PLL or something like that

anyway from 5 mins, went down to 2 mins, after using the system of pairing up for the F2L, i went down to 1,30 then to 1:10 with fingertricks.

Is there any possible way to reduce my time to around 40 secs?

I know learning alot of althgs is one way but its kinda a pain in the ars o.o...
thanks

------
chinese prideee living in hong kong toooo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:46 am 

There's no magic secret that's going to make you fast without any work. How much are you looking at the cube without turning? Finding those F2L pairs and recognizing the last layer patterns should be almost instantaneous. How many algorithms do you know? Are you doing some of those ones you just keep repeating until it's solved?

If getting your time down is important, then yes, you do need to put some work into it.

Even memorizing all the algorithms won't get you sub-20. Plain and simple, you need to practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:47 pm 

How fast do you do the cross? You need to get that down to 2-4 seconds on average. This link will give you excellent information on that (the whole site is awesome actually):

http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/cfop/cross/cross

How fast are you doing the Fridrich pairing in F2L? This is where most of your time is coming from. If you practice a whole lot you should be able to get this down to 15-20 seconds.

http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2l

You don't need to memorize these algorithms. In fact, you should already know most of them intuitively. Around 15 or so of them aren't completely obvious and you'll need to sit down and carefully watch what's going on. If you can execute all 42 in 3-4 seconds, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make 15-20 seconds. 3-4 seconds x 4 sides + maybe 2-3 seconds for recognition/U layer turns to move into the correct slot = about 20 seconds. And you will get this fast with time.

That alone right there makes your average at maybe 22 seconds for F2L. The last layer can be done doing your normal layer by layer method if you don't want to memorize the algorithms. You should be able to get this in 20-30 seconds easily with finger tricks. This will get you right where you want. If you memorize 11 LL algorithms (I can post which ones if you want) you can probably get it down to 10 seconds. That will bring your average to around 32. And even if you don't think you are improving, keep practicing.

3x3x3: 0:29.41 (PB) 0:42.38 (Avg. 12x)
4x4x4: 2:18.57 (PB) 2:56:40 (Avg. 5x)
5x5x5: 6:05:54 (PB)