Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My new skewb method (pyraminx based)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:30 pm 

So I have recently developed my own personal method for solving the skewb. It is rather inefficient, but nonetheless, it is a method that I created myself and am very proud to have been able to reach this point in puzzle solving. As the title states, it is pyraminx based (given that the skewb has a tetrahedral core) and I have managed to translate my pyraminx method, which is simply cobbled together from a number of different beginner methods from Oscar Roth Andersen's tutorials. The basic gist of solving it is replacing pyraminx edges with skewb centres, the corners attached to the core with the pyraminx base blocks, and the spare hanging corners with invisible/theoretical pyraminx face centres.
If anyone wants a tutorial on youtube, please PM me and I will be sure to record it and post the link to this topic at a later date. :)

Post subject: Re: My new skewb method (pyraminx based)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 pm 

I'd be interested in seeing how this works. It sounds rather hard to perceive accurately. How do you identify which corners are part of the core? Just previous knowledge?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 pm 

You can identify these corners by pushing any corner into the puzzle. The corners attached to the core will not get pushed in and won't have any sort of 'give' while the loose corners will be pushed in. The identification acts both to serve as the fixed base blocks of a pyraminx (to which the tips are attached)and as a personal preference to execute algorithms in a sort of smoother manner. I hope I managed to explain that adequately for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing how this works. It sounds rather hard to perceive accurately. How do you identify which corners are part of the core? Just previous knowledge?

It doesn't matter at all. 4 corners are, 4 corners aren't. You can pick either set arbitrary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:55 pm 

Exactly. It's just personal preference in terms of algorithm execution and how stable the cube is when you grip it for certain fingertricks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 pm 

In what way do you hold the puzzle to solve? I use block building for most of my puzzles so this corner-centric method is difficult for me to mentally picture