Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mixup & Plus solving methods
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 am 

I didn't feel like bumping last year's Mixup Plus solving topic so I made a new one.

After looking on YouTube for different methods of solving the Mixup Plus, all the ones I found seemed needlessly complex. This is probably due to the fact that the Mixup Plus was produced before the original Mixup Cube - I solved the latter one first, but most tutorials online were made before the former was produced. I tried using a different method today and was pleasantly surprised to find how well it worked. (Part of it is based on the fact that I use a Petrus-like method for the Rubik's Cube - other methods might work better or worse depending on your preferences.)

So here's my solution method for both of them. Thoughts?

(Terminology: "wedges" are the pieces the Plus has that the regular doesn't. "Base pieces" are the pieces that both puzzles share.)

1) Return to a cube shape (Mixup) or mostly cubic, ignoring wedges (Mixup Plus), with centers in the right places
2) Solve a 2x2x3 base piece block as in Petrus to determine which edges are backwards, and flip them - with a single edge flipped, it's possible to both spot and fix it at this point without messing up that block much
3) Fix the block if needed and finish base F2L (in my case I finish it as in Petrus)
4) Solve the base pieces in the last layer.
5) if you have two edges or corners swapped, do the parity fix and re-solve the parts that it messed up. At this point the Mixup Cube is solved.
6) On the Plus, cycle wedges around using a very simple three-cycle and setup moves where necessary. The cycle I use moves pieces around a middle layer by 1 position (1/8 of a turn) which allows you to "flip" the ones which are sticking out.

Post subject: Re: Mixup & Plus solving methods
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am 

Hi Jared,

in the Mixup Plus topic we talked about "inner edges", "centre edges" or X-centres for the pieces that you call "wedges" (the pieces that do not exist on the Standard 3x3x3 Mixup.
I would prefer to stick with the terminology used in the past.
(BTW, is "wedges" not an artificial word for "wide edges", like the outer edges of a 5x5x5 edge group of three?)

In my opinion, your method is quite similar to other methods I recollect, especially the one I'm using.
If you know how to orientate a centre on a 3x3x3 Super Cube in a pure way, the early checking for a single flipped edge, when your 2x2x3 block is finished, is not a big advantage, I guess.

I flip edge FL by eight moves (E+ M' U2 M E- M' U2 M = [E+, [M':U2]] a [1,3] commutator)
The notation is old WCA plus + / - as used in the Mixup Plus thread.
M is the layer between L and R, (turn direction is noted as for L), E between U and D (turns noted as for D), - is a counter clockwise turn, + a clockwise turn of an inner layer.
This flips just a single outer edge and you need to cycle inner edges as well.
Maybe, with just the 2x2x3 solved you have a bit more freedom to do this better.

The much more tedious parity fix is the corner (or edges) swap. I can recognize this close to the solved 3x3x3 state only. Therefore, it is better to do the inner edges on the Mixup Plus at he very end (as you described it.)
DKwan had given a pure fix for the swapped corners parity, I have admired but never memorized :)
(The least burden for your memory is just to do a E+ or E- and resolve the cube. There are some easy to remember ways too that are not pure but less tedious to reconstruct everything.)

As a side note:
When I received the Standard Mixup last Saturday, I revisited my Mixup Plus, too.
I have to say, that after a year or so, I found it not so easy.
I looked at notes from last year about my method, but unfortunately they were not complete.
Sometimes I do not write down things that seem obvious at the time of my first solving experience. My vague memory of "How have I done this??", makes sometimes things harder at a revisit than at my first approach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:44 pm 

Konrad wrote:
DKwan had given a pure fix for the swapped corners parity, I have admired but never memorized :)
(The least burden for your memory is just to do a E+ or E- and resolve the cube. There are some easy to remember ways too that are not pure but less tedious to reconstruct everything.)

After solving the Mixup Cube in various ways, I finally decided that my favorite way is to solve it in such a way that there is never any re-solving due to parity issues!
1. Solve the white and yellow layers.

2. Look hard at the middle layer. See what needs to go where to be solved. Each swap counts as a swap. Each 3-cycle as 2 swaps. Each 4-cycle as 3 swaps. Each 5-cycle as 4 swaps. And so on. Add together all the swaps needed to solve. If it is even, you are good to go. If it is odd, do a 45˚ turn of the middle layer, and now you are good to go.

3. Use any algorithms you like to solve the middle layer that maintain even parity. For example, commutators and conjugates for moving the pieces into place. Or things like M' U M E45˚ M' U' M E'45˚, which twists the front center 90˚ clockwise and the piece at FL 90˚ anticlockwise (if I remember correctly which way E and M go).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

robertpauljr wrote:
....2. Look hard at the middle layer. See what needs to go where to be solved. Each swap counts as a swap. Each 3-cycle as 2 swaps. Each 4-cycle as 3 swaps. Each 5-cycle as 4 swaps. And so on. Add together all the swaps needed to solve. If it is even, you are good to go. If it is odd, do a 45˚ turn of the middle layer, and now you are good to go.....
No doubt that you can do this. How much time will it need and how likely is it that you have counted incorrectly? I prefer to go ahead and do the fix if required. In 50% of the cases you do not need it, but you need to "look hard" in 100% :wink: (BTW, I would just add 0 in case of an even permutation as a 3-cycle, 5-cycle.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:18 pm 

Konrad wrote:
robertpauljr wrote:
....2. Look hard at the middle layer. See what needs to go where to be solved. Each swap counts as a swap. Each 3-cycle as 2 swaps. Each 4-cycle as 3 swaps. Each 5-cycle as 4 swaps. And so on. Add together all the swaps needed to solve. If it is even, you are good to go. If it is odd, do a 45˚ turn of the middle layer, and now you are good to go.....
No doubt that you can do this. How much time will it need and how likely is it that you have counted incorrectly? I prefer to go ahead and do the fix if required. In 50% of the cases you do not need it, but you need to "look hard" in 100% :wink: (BTW, I would just add 0 in case of an even permutation as a 3-cycle, 5-cycle.)

Like lots of things, the more you do it, the easier and quicker and more accurate the look gets. I figure that there will be many many solvers that would rather just plow ahead and deal with having to re-solve if necessary. But in case there are others, like me, that do not like doing this, I present an alternative. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 pm 

Does anybody know a good tutorial for the new witeden 4x4x3 Mixup cube?
By the way: Whats the difference between the Mixup cubes and the Mixup plus cubes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
By the way: Whats the difference between the Mixup cubes and the Mixup plus cubes?

The Mixup Plus cubes divide the edges into three parts... such that each middle slice has exchangeable center/edge pieces alternating with the extra (not on a Mixup) wedge shaped pieces (not exchangeable with centers) which need to be paired to the edges (which reduces it to a 3x3x3, not a Mixup... because a Mixup would have all three pieces exchangeable as a group with a center). On Wormhole cubes (which come together with the Mixup Plus series), these wedge piece slots are replaced with windows (which are not separate pieces) allowing you to see the core (which is also coloured and needs solving).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 am 

bwross wrote:
doctor twist wrote:

Thank you - think I got it.
By the way: I dont need the tutorial anymore.
I was fiddling around and solved my 4x4x3 Mixup cube :-)
It was easier than I thought.