Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blast from the past
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 am 

My wife just dug up this page. I did an interview for a local TV station in 1981, when I was in high school, about the Rubik's cube. Years ago I called the station, trying to get a copy of the segment, but they had long since lost it. Well what do you know, now it's buried treasure; the station found it and put up the video.

From The KOTV Vault: Remembering The Rubik's Cube Circa 1981

One thing I still remember that annoyed me... they did two takes. The first one, I was flustered and messed up my solve, took 1:08. The second one was better, something like 0:50 (hey, that was reasonably fast for 1981). They showed the fast take, but they showed the time from the slow take.

Check out my twisty collection at the end from 32 years ago!

Post subject: Re: Blast from the past
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 am 

I hope you weren't expecting to pick up any girls looking like that! :lol:

And 0:50 still beats my best time even today! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:03 am 

You're a brave man to show the rest of the world this video :lol: :lol: :lol:

I notice that as soon as you start to try to explain how you solve it, you've lost the reporter. "... algorithm ???" he asks, and you are immediately labeled a nerd who does calculus. Was it ever so :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:53 am 

Oh come on now. We're all a big bunch of nerds here; admit it!

And in fact, re picking up girls... actually yes, this is how I met my wife, about two years later. I was sitting on a bus for a new-student trip to the beach, solving a Rubik's Revenge, the day before my freshman year of college started. Evidently that was irresistible. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 am 

Oh wow! As someone who's been cubing for only about 8 months I can't even imagine what it was like watching all those founding puzzles be invented and figured out for the first time, like the 4x4 and the skewb. I love seeing this kind of stuff from the start of it all

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:17 am 

What a find! I hope you're saving it somewhere. How cool to have evidence of that.

And I think EVERYONE here needs to go back and look at their 1980 photos.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:30 am 

WOW!!! That was fun. It wasn't till the conversation at the end where you mention algorithms that I recognized your voice and I told myself... yes that IS Bob. Very cool. Having meet you in person, if it weren't for the voice I don't think I would have ever made the conection between this boy and the man that I've meet.

Back in 1987 I was my high school valedictorian and my local TV station, Channel 4, would film a set of comercials called Channel 4 salutes you, the graduating class of 19xx. Each year they would bring the valedictorians from across the state, Tennessee, to Opryland, an amusement parks in Nashville that doesn't exist any more, and they'd film us in groups waving at the camera. They'd make a whole day event out of it and then edit the footage they had into a set of a dozen or so comercials they'd air. Each one featuring a half dozen or so valedictorians. I have my comercial on VHS tape somewhere. I need to find that and I should stick it up on my YouTube channel. That was my 15 seconds of fame.

Congrats on the great find...
Carl