Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: General Approach to Solving Twisty Puzzles.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm 

Preface: I really like how versatile the "Ultimate Solution" is, except for one caveat that haunts me from learning speedsolving methods. I really don't like having to "start over" to any extent just because I've run into a parity case.

That being said. I am wondering if, in general, a corners-first approach, edges-first approach, layer by layer, or some other method I am overlooking would be the most useful to use to approach a new (to me) puzzle.

I have studied and worked with the following methods for the 3x3x3:
Heise
Petrus
Ultimate Solution
Ortega
Roux
Fridrich.

I currently mix Heise and Petrus, since I'm still not very comfortable building my blocks "out of place."

Post subject: Re: General Approach to Solving Twisty Puzzles.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm 

Usually piece-by-piece solutions are easier / require less effort.

What piece you start with sorta depends on what sequences you've found. If you can't find a 3-cycle for piece-type-A without moving some pieces of type B then you'll want to solve all of the type A pieces first and then finish with something pure for pieces of type B.

If you have lots of solve-order options available to you because you've found pure routines then I usually start with pieces like centers that will define / establish the color scheme. I then focus on pieces with the most orientations available to them like corners. It's usually harder to deal with orientation when you have to preserve a bunch of already-solved pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:42 am 

So I guess the general approach would be to solve the pieces of a type that do interact with other types first, and the work towards the ones that do not interact. I can see how this would vary depending on the type of puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm 

I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Solution. When it comes to adapting it to non-cubic puzzles, the first thing to note is that the "edges first" approach in the 3x3x3 solution is based on the function of the edge pieces, rather than the fact that they happen to be edges of the puzzle's external shape. For example, the master pyramorphinx is equivalent to the 3x3x3, so when you apply the Ultimate Solution, you have to first figure out what are the pieces on the puzzle with equivalent function to the 3x3x3's edges. In this case, they are not the edges of the puzzle at all; they are the "face pieces". So you'd apply the solution method to the "face pieces" instead of the "edge pieces" (which, in this case, don't even permute, they just have orientation).