Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Difficulty of Pentahedron-family puzzles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 am 

I got my 3-layer standard pentahedron yesterday. It was fairly cheap [$20 off E3CubeStore]. Solved it within 30 minutes. I really enjoy this puzzle. It has also helped me work out a solution for the 2-layer cheese that was driving me bonkers.

My question is whether it's worth it to get some of the other puzzles in this family - the 5-layer standard and the super 5-layer. I am not interested in the asymmetric planet versions, but I might like to try Jupiter and Uranus as well. How do they compare in difficulty? The price on all these is a fair bit higher than what I paid for the 3-layer standard. I'm worried that if they solve similarly I'll be getting diminishing returns on my investment.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Post subject: Re: Difficulty of Pentahedron-family puzzles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am 

The "Crazy" 5-layer Pentahedron (the one with the circles) that has been modified to be symmetrical where no circle turns with the face is quite fun and worth it. It's pretty much a super-set of all the other symmetrical variants so it's the only one you'd need to get to have the solving experience for all the others.

I can't really speak to the non-symmetrical circle versions, I don't like puzzles like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:06 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
The "Crazy" 5-layer Pentahedron (the one with the circles) that has been modified to be symmetrical where no circle turns with the face is quite fun and worth it.

What do you mean modified? Aren't the faces on the crazy 5-layer already unbandaged?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

themathkid wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
The "Crazy" 5-layer Pentahedron (the one with the circles) that has been modified to be symmetrical where no circle turns with the face is quite fun and worth it.

What do you mean modified? Aren't the faces on the crazy 5-layer already unbandaged?

I thought this too but they aren't. Two turn one way and the other doesn't. The piece that determines whether the circle turns with the face or not can be flipped around. You'll have to spend a few minutes taking apart the bandaged face(s) to flip the center piece.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 pm 

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I have another question about these. I'm thinking about getting the Earth or Uranus version since they have circles on all sides with the top and bottom unbandaged. As Brandon stated, you can change the square faces as needed. So my two questions are:

1. Can the top and bottom circles be unbandaged similarly?

2. Am I correct in thinking that unbandaged circles on top and bottom function the same as the top and bottom on the crazy 5-layer version? [Though with a visible center, obviously]