Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Solving the Bandaged 3x3x3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm 

Does somebody know who invented the Bicube = Bandaged Cube?
Mefferts just calls it The Bandage Cube
I got two of them, probably 10 - 15 years ago and I used a solution on the Meffert's site, obviously written by Jaap.
I'm pretty sure that I would not have been able to solve it at that time (due to a lack of time and knowledge)

hknowstore calls it CT 3X3X3 BICUBE.
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means, but I think it is the name of the colour scheme.)
Burgo introduced into this thread. I find his idea very clever. I'll talk a little bit more about it in the [Spoiler] section.
rline wants to try it on its own, therefore I hide all solution oriented stuff inside the spoiler brackets.
I cannot avoid that a picture shows up there, but I do not think that it gives much away.

A TP Museum search does not find it using "Bicube" or "Bandage Cube".
hknowstore shows all six faces by these photos

The Meffert's colour scheme is completely different

I made a Bicube with the DIY kit that reflects the hknowstore colour scheme for black body.

[Spoiler]
I cannot offer an own solution, mine is exactly described as solution 2 on his puzzle page
http:<slash> <slash> www<dot>jaapsch.net/puzzles/bandage.htm#solution2
Jaap's solution 1 uses more move sequences but solution 2 is easier to memorize.

Burgo has added a very clever idea to feed a 5-cycle by a 3-cycle where the 3-cycle feeds the 5-cycle.
I'm pretty sure that this is visually harder than Jaap solution 2. I will call them from now just Burgo'S and Jaap'S.
In both cases two sequences are used, a 5-cycle and a 3-cycle.
The 5-cycles are identical, but Jaap'S 3-cycle has an overlap of three pieces.
Burgo says that only seven pieces need to be solved.
This picture below shows what he means. This is the standard configuration you have to achieve in a first step.
Jaap explains this first step as well. My notes just said: Do it intuitively. I do not think that expert twisty puzzles need any hint to reach this pattern:

The numbered pieces 1 to 5 as they are cycled 1 ->2-> 3-> 4-> 5 -> 1 by the Jaap'S 5-cycle.
Burgo wrote:
In the end I settled for these:
[White U, Red F]
UL F2 (R' F' R) UF'L' U2 3cycle
(UF RU) F' U2 R' 5cycle
The cross over is UBL and there is a nice `easy to visualise` progression for the 5cycle.

Jaap'S 5-cycle is written F R U F R' F2 U'.
Jaap'S introduces a rotation C of the whole cube around the single corner at UFR in a clockwise manner while A is the anticlockwise rotation.
Jaap'S makes very clever use of the fact that this 3-cycle can always be performed in the standard configuration as long as the single corner is at UFR
A F R U F R' F2 U' C is identical to Burgo'S 5cycle.
[/Spoiler]

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm 

Konrad wrote:
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means

Does it stand for Cubetwist?

3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm 

KozehCubes wrote:
Konrad wrote:
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means
Does it stand for Cubetwist?
Aah, you are certainly right. I thought that it stands for a colour scheme because of this
Burgo wrote:
My cube has the CT colour scheme (as in the photo this time).
Cubetwist colour scheme just means that Cubetwist uses the (nowadays) usual colour scheme white opposite yellow, red opposite orange, green opposite blue. How obvious :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:55 am 

Bandaged 3

After the influence of other contributors and their methods, I have reworked my own method and cut my time and effort down substantially. I think it’s worth a post to put down my exact derived method (I think there’s enough variation in the sequences and timing of the setup to warrant it). The method I originally posted is from about a year ago, so it’s been nice to revisit this cube and have a conversation and find a nicer method. In the end there’s very little difference to an RC solve and saving the setup till step 3 saves memorizing a predetermined configuration:

[Blue face as F, and Yellow as U] CT colour scheme.

1. Solve the white edges. I usually try to put the bandaged edges into position as early as manageable to save them blocking things up.

2. Solve the last bandaged edge (red, blue, yellow).

3. Do either of Konrad’s F D F’ or Andrea’s R’ D’ R setups, totally irrelevant which one. Doing this at this stage allows you to `not memorize any predetermined pattern`.

4. Solve the other 3 E layer edges with D twists (or better said: UW twists) and R U’ R’ or L’ U L twists.

5. Place the matching corner under the white edge in the E slot with F2L. Either: U’ R U’ R’ U2 R U’ R’ or it’s mirror or (R U R’ U’)x3, depending on the orientation of the corner. They are some of the most basic and intuitive of the F2Ls, and if you don't know F2L you should try these. Standard RC.

6. Orientate 2 edges with (y) and just FURU’R’F’ or FRUR’U’F’ (y’), standard RC.

7. Orientate corners with Sune / (y) Sune Mirror (y’), standard RC.

8. Permute Corners with (R2 U R2 U’ R2) U’ D (R2 U' R2 U R2) D’, standard domino.

9. Permute Edges with RU’ RU RU RU’ R’U’ R2 or (y) mirror (y'), standard RC, or (R2 U2)x2 R2 U (R2 U2)x2 R2 standard domino.

10. Undo the setup F D’ F’ or R D R’.

Thanks all contributors,
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 am 

Konrad wrote:
Does somebody know who invented the Bicube = Bandaged Cube?
Mefferts just calls it The Bandage Cube
[...]
A TP Museum search does not find it using "Bicube" or "Bandage Cube".
But the museum finds "Bandaged Cube":
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=613
and as you might see from the rather low puzzlekey that entry is a very old one.

There is a misunderstanding that the Bicube and the Bandaged Cube are different names for identical variants.
The earliest mentioning of the Bicube I could proove was in CFF #28 (from 1992 !) where Dieter Gebhardt cites this book (not in my posession):
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=300
In contrast to Meferts variant that Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.

In CFF#56 Dieter Gebhardt goes a step further and claims that Raoul Raba described the Bicube already in an article dating back to 1981 which is not in my posession as well.
Nontheless the first massproduced bandaged cube ist he one from Mefferts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
....But the museum finds "Bandaged Cube":
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=613
and as you might see from the rather low puzzlekey that entry is a very old one.

There is a misunderstanding that the Bicube and the Bandaged Cube are different names for identical variants.
The earliest mentioning of the Bicube I could proove was in CFF #28 (from 1992 !) where Dieter Gebhardt cites this book (not in my posession):
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=300
In contrast to Meferts variant that Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.

In CFF#56 Dieter Gebhardt goes a step further and claims that Raoul Raba described the Bicube already in an article dating back to 1981 which is not in my posession as well.
Nontheless the first massproduced bandaged cube is the one from Mefferts.
Thanks Andreas! Do you happen to know why the Museum Search "bandage cube" does not find "bandaged cube"?
Does the search generally not look for parts of a word?

The two small pictures of the Bandaged Cube seem to be contradicting.
The blue/white/yellow view of the Museum pictures is identical to my Meffert's.
The other view on the yellow/green/red faces does not fit at all.
I I assume that yellow to the very left should be orange (I see yellow on my screen) the green must become blue. (At least the physical structure is correct then.)

I'm confused a bit how the Bicube you mention really looks like
Quote:
Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.
Do you have pictures of all faces?
Can I just take a Meffert's Bandaged Cube and make a 2x2x2 block opposite the single corner piece?

The CT BICUBE offered by hknowstore (I do not own one, I have the pictures only from hknowstore's site; see above or below again ) has obviously the same structure of the 13 pieces as the earlier Meffert's Cube.
Do you agree that my Bicube made out of the DIY reflects the hknowstore pictures (for the black variant) and the physical structure of the Meffert's Bandaged Cube? (Do you think that it is just a typo on the Meffert's page that they call it Bandage Cube now (without the "d")?)
Does this mean that the term Bicube refers to two different puzzles?

Konrad wrote:
...hknowstore calls it CT 3X3X3 BICUBE.
hknowstore shows all six faces by these photos

The Meffert's colour scheme is completely different

I made a Bicube with the DIY kit that reflects the hknowstore colour scheme for black body.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am 

Konrad wrote:
Thanks Andreas! Do you happen to know why the Museum Search "bandage cube" does not find "bandaged cube"?
Does the search generally not look for parts of a word?
I assume you used "Quick Search". Entering your search phrase in "all of this words" would have shown you the entry I linked to above. This search leads to many additional results but you could have refined that by mechanism=3x3x3.
*Nobody said, searching is easy*
Konrad wrote:
I'm confused a bit how the Bicube you mention really looks like
Quote:
Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.
Do you have pictures of all faces?
Can I just take a Meffert's Bandaged Cube and make a 2x2x2 block opposite the single corner piece?
Please download my program
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24406
Copy these two lines
33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program. The first one is Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube. The second is what Dieter Gebhardt called "Bicube".
Konrad wrote:
The CT BICUBE offered by hknowstore (I do not own one, I have the pictures only from hknowstore's site; see above or below again ) has obviously the same structure of the 13 pieces as the earlier Meffert's Cube.
Do you agree that my Bicube made out of the DIY reflects the hknowstore pictures (for the black variant) and the physical structure of the Meffert's Bandaged Cube? (Do you think that it is just a typo on the Meffert's page that they call it Bandage Cube now (without the "d")?)
Does this mean that the term Bicube refers to two different puzzles?
They all reflect the physical structure of Mefferts variant. You might want to hit CTRL+Y to see all the 48 variants of this puzzles within a single color scheme.
Do not ask me, at which point in time the d was lost or introduced. I have no such knowledge.
The two hexadecimal numbers above tell you (beside other things) that the Bicube (in its original understanding) and Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube are two different puzzles. Once again: CFF tells us, that the presumed equality between Bicube and BandagedCube is just a misunderstanding.

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
...33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program. The first one is Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube. The second is what Dieter Gebhardt called "Bicube".
So, I guessed right after your first explanation.
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
...They all reflect the physical structure of Mefferts variant. You might want to hit CTRL+Y to see all the 48 variants of this puzzles within a single color scheme.
Do not ask me, at which point in time the d was lost or introduced. I have no such knowledge.
The two hexadecimal numbers above tell you (beside other things) that the Bicube (in its original understanding) and Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube are two different puzzles. Once again: CFF tells us, that the presumed equality between Bicube and BandagedCube is just a misunderstanding.

Andreas
Thank you Andreas. Obviously Cubewtwist made a little mistake in a historical sense by using the name Bicube for something that is identical to the Meffert's Bandaged Cube, except the colours.
With "physical structure" I wanted to refer to everything, including bandaging, less the colours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

So, Konrad, I'm lost. Are we saying the "Mefferts bandaged cube" is not the same as the "Cubetwist Bicube"? Or that the Mefferts Bandaged cube = the Cubetwist bicube, but the cubetwist bicube is different from the "original" bicube?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm 

Hi rline,
the Meffert's "Bandaged Cube" (or Bandage Cube) and the CT 3x3x3 Bicube are identical, except the colours.
The historically correctly named Bicube (Dieter Gebhardt) is similar but different: The whole 2x2 block opposite the single corner cubie is bandaged (as shown on the screenshot of Andreas's program; be careful, Andreas uses the original colour scheme blue opposite white).
You could start with this version. It is easier and the move sequence(s) you learn can be used for the Meffert's (or CT) version that is less bandaged but harder.

Post subject: Re: Solving the Bandaged 3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Puzzlemad wrote:
I would rather work it out for myself but having quickly watched this video, I seriously doubt that I will ever manage to do a bandaged cube unaided! Maybe the kit wasn't such a good idea after all?)

Once again I find myself in awe at the genius displayed on this forum!

So guys I have been working on this for days and days! I am blown away by the quality of the cube and amazed at how difficult it is! When I show this to my friends and colleagues they take one look at it and think it should be easy. Then I hand it to them and let them play - they quickly discover the bandaging and revise their opinion!

I have avoided reading this thread so far whilst working on it. Under my own steam I managed to solve all edges and position all corners. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I could not work out how to orient corners. Absolutely nothing that I tried would work so in desperation I turned to rline's site and learned how to do that final piece! I am amazed at his brilliance and very disappointed in myself - I would never in a million years have managed to work out that corner orientation move! I wonder how long it will take to manage to achieve complete solves by myself!

This is a really fun cube to solve and I have independently managed to find most of an "ultimate solution" by myself! Now it's time to look at everyone else's approaches to see if they might help me in the future!

Now I'm rather anxious to get my own kit in my grubby hands! I really hope my own solving skills improve. Thanks for the list of bandaged cubes to try with the order of difficulty!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 am 

Hi Konrad.,
I am glad that you appreciate my program at least a bit.
I want to give you one additional hint.
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Copy these two lines
33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program.
You can copy and paste both lines at once. To compare two variants you can just "copy" (without the clipboard) the variant in the right half to the right one by pressing INS or you can hit SHIFT+INS and enter (or paste) it by hand.

Attachments:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png [ 42.67 KiB | Viewed 10059 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 am 

My kit arrived yesterday - just at the same time as me having a few days off work :D :D
The weather is too terrible to do any gardening or outdoor chores so I will have time to play!

I have just seen that Rline has posted his latest tutorial - this time on the 2-bar-4 cube which has been claimed (further up in this thread) is the easiest of the 3x3 bandaged cubes:
http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com/2012/10/2-bar4-cube.html

This has encouraged me to embark on my odyssey - I have deliberately avoided reading the tutorial and I hope that this time I can solve it without help! :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am 

Hi Kevin

I almost guarantee you'll get the 2-bar done yourself. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 am 

rline wrote:
Hi Kevin

I almost guarantee you'll get the 2-bar done yourself. 8-)

Yay!!!
You are right! Solved in a couple of hours!
A very nice little bandaged cube! Certainly much easier than the bandaged 3.

I tried to use varying techniques before returning to the Ultimate solution but nothing I tried would work! I did manage to complete the 1st 2 layers intuitively but could not orient the edges of the last layer much less move the corners around. In the end I returned to the Ultimate solution and it was surprisingly easy!!

It took me a little while to work out which side to start with and then, :oops: a rather long time to remember the CPS for the 3x3x2 but when I did it worked beautifully!!!!

Thanks Rline - everyone should learn your technique, even if it's just to add something new to their armamentarium!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 pm 

A nice little addition to the 2 Bar concept:
We might as well give the unknown ones nick-names so, the `Bandaged Loop`. I had a bit of fun with it this morning.

BTW It's got nice vibrant colours, which I really liked, but there were only 2 of the 3x1 bars for each colour, which would limit `some` combinations.

Attachments:
Bandaged Loop.jpg
Bandaged Loop.jpg [ 713.42 KiB | Viewed 9526 times ]

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 am 

The Bandaged Loop ^^ above won't prove too much of a challenge to the experienced solvers. So I made a version in which I sought to block known sequences. It looks like a castle so I called it the `Bandaged Fortress`.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
Bandaged Fortress.jpg
Bandaged Fortress.jpg [ 696.15 KiB | Viewed 9491 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 am 

Maybe you are interested:
"Bandaged Loop" translates to 300C0180600C03 and has 10*1152 permutations.
"Bandaged Fortress" translates to 30000010048883 and has 42*322560 permutations.

The first factor is the number of different "bandaging patterns" achievable by twisting the cube.
A "bandaging pattern" is (technically spoken) one of the hexadecimal numbers and (more illustratively spoken) what remains as distinguishable states of the puzzle if you remove all stickers except the ones on the faces.
The second factor is the number of permutations achievable within the same pattern.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 pm 

I think we have a few who might appreciate some easier interesting ones:
The first one I called Stalactites, it's a variant of the [Big Block / 1x1x3 Block / 3 Slices], slightly more interesting than << the other variants.
The second one I called Stalagmites and Stalactites, it's fully scramblable (funny word that) as demontrated, and comparable in difficulty to the Earth Tetrahedron.

BTW, I have solutions for all 4 and will compare notes after others have tried them.
*Beginner spoiler for all 4 variants* Interesting how: [When we bandage 2 or more corners to each other the corner permutations become more or less trivial and the solve is all about the edges.]

Hi Andreas, Interesting how I would have expected the Bandaged Loop to have more permutations, but the more bandaged Fortress has more.

Attachments:
Stalactites.jpg
Stalactites.jpg [ 720.55 KiB | Viewed 9347 times ]
Stalagmites and Stalactites.jpg
Stalagmites and Stalactites.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 9347 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 pm 

Burgo,

I love your names for these. Really creative. I think I'll give them a go, since I think that bandaged fortress will be much harder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 am 

OK, Mildly Addicted here :oops:

I thought I'd make an easy one.. turned out to be `a little tougher` than I first thought. *Warning* this one's trouble :wink: . I called it the Double Block.. for more than one reason.

My method for this one is a little scrappy at present, see what you think:

Attachments:
Double Block.jpg
Double Block.jpg [ 654.45 KiB | Viewed 9321 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 am 

TICK TOCK,

Double Block Clock:

I wasn’t going to post this one, I consider it one of my cast offs, just because it’s so difficult. It's exactly the same as the `Double Block` with an additional 1x1x2 block in the U layer. It was my original idea when I made the Double Block: I thought the Double Block would be easier than it was and might need a little extra, and this was my idea for that `extra`. But the Double Block was a perfect challenge in it’s own right. Nevertheless, I wanted a twist of this puzzle, which then drove me mad for the next few hours. Afterwards, I thought the `idea` was worth posting, and who knows, someone might come up with a few sequences and make it look easy!

I will include a picture of where I got to in the solve (4 edges need cycling).. and I’m suspicious that I have to go back quite a bit before I go forward. Nevertheless, if anyone tries it, I think they will realize that I have made quite a bit of progress to get there. And.. if anyone is as bonkers as me they might give it a shot? *Disclaimer* Just don’t try it if you have a combination of high blood pressure and stubborn persistence.
Attachment:
Double Block Clock.jpg
Double Block Clock.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 9214 times ]
Bandaged Clock Crazy Planet Series:

The other reason I posted it is that it lead me to an idea about a `Bandaged Clock` Crazy Planet series following the bandaging pattern of the Crazy Planet 333 series. I have posted a picture a `Bandaged Clock model` (all faces bandaged) as a reference for making the faces of the `Bandaged Clock Crazy Planets`. The model is a diagram for the series and is not `in itself` fully functional. (Bandaged = 1 = + faces), in this series a bandaged face will refer to it having an edge<>centre 1x1x2 tile on it. Some are trivial, some harder, it’s just for fun :D .
Attachment:
Bandaged Clock Planet Series model.jpg
Bandaged Clock Planet Series model.jpg [ 637.6 KiB | Viewed 9214 times ]
Attachment:
333 Crazy Planet Format diagram.jpg
333 Crazy Planet Format diagram.jpg [ 66.33 KiB | Viewed 8423 times ]
Enjoy,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 am 

:shock: :shock:
Help I can't keep up with Burgo! He's designing them faster than I can make and solve them!

I've moved back to the bandaged 3x3 kit for a while - completely stuck on the 4x4 AI last 2x2 section. I've watched the videos about a dozen times and I still can't work out the strategy! The actual algorithms are really easy but it seems to be all about set up and I just can't seem to work it out!

The 3x3 seems much nicer now :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 am 

Hi Kevin (and others),

If you want a bit of an indication of difficulty I will make a list so that you know where to start (for puzzles talked about in this thread so far):
Difficulty Rating moved to first post ^^.

Today’s puzzle: Big Block Clock
I wanted to see how difficult the puzzle in the Bandaged Clock Planets `model diagram` was in its own right: Here’s what it looks like as a puzzle, it’s a nice challenge.

BTW the only puzzle above^^ that I’m yet to solve is the `Double Block Clock`, some strategies are scratchy.

Attachments:
Big Block Clock.jpg
Big Block Clock.jpg [ 591.29 KiB | Viewed 9114 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 am 

Hi Kevin Burgo and others,

Burgo wrote:
OK, Mildly Addicted here

You are very proactive here.
I love this forum.
I'm afraid about the BI cube, it seems very hard.
I must wait until my CT bandaged set arrives. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Then more. Perhaps it was the right decision to order the ct bandaged set. :D :)

Cheers,
Andrea

PS:
Burgo: very interesting your bandaged puzzle design ideas. Thank you for sharing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Kevin (and others),

If you want a bit of an indication of difficulty I will make a list so that you know where to start (for puzzles talked about in this thread so far):

This is fantastic! I now have a sort of target to go for!
So far just done the first 3 and enjoyed them a lot!

This was certainly a really good buy! Everyone should consider buying this puzzle! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 am 

Bandaged Cube/s of the day:

3 Bar and 3 Bar Clock

Today I solved the 3 Bar (quite interesting) but not the 3 Bar Clock yet, that's proving to be a bit more of a problem. I think I will just edit the `difficulty level post` as I add and solve new puzzles..

EDIT: Solved the 3 bar clock, nice challenge, not too much harder than the 3 bar in the end, but enough :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
3 Bar.jpg
3 Bar.jpg [ 744.68 KiB | Viewed 8931 times ]
3 Bar Clock.jpg
3 Bar Clock.jpg [ 610.09 KiB | Viewed 8931 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 pm 

I've got another interesting one to add this morning: The Bandaged YZ. I called it that because of the famous permutation patterns it presents. Although it's not as easy as just making those patterns. The large E layer block is problematic. I usually solve before I present and this is the case here also.
Attachment:
Bandaged YZ.jpg
Bandaged YZ.jpg [ 1019.94 KiB | Viewed 8686 times ]
I will also make public a derived version from the Bandaged YZ which I have called the Unbandaged YZ, because I unbandaged the central block. I did this just for a bit of fun, but it turned out to be quite an interesting puzzle. It's probably a closer relative to the 3 Slices, and I certainly set-up like that to solve it, but I felt this configuration added a nice extra visual confusion.
Attachment:
Unbandaged YZ.jpg
Unbandaged YZ.jpg [ 616.68 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]
Another great leadup puzzle is made by unbandaging the Big Block to make it a little more difficult. The Unbandaged Big Block is a similar idea to the Stalactites, and notice it's relationship to the 2 puzzles above^^.
Attachment:
Unbandaged Big Block.jpg
Unbandaged Big Block.jpg [ 783.3 KiB | Viewed 8647 times ]
An obvious derivative of that is the Unbandaged Big Block Clock, for which I moved the clock hands to take away any visual confusion, I think the challenge is enough without it, this time. Perhaps a nicer looking version of this puzzle is the UBBC-V2, funny how a different configuration of the same puzzle can lead you to solve it differently (in as much as it will let you anyway).
Attachment:
Unbandaged Big Block Clock & UBBC-V2.jpg
Unbandaged Big Block Clock & UBBC-V2.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8617 times ]
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 am 

I am very excited to release my latest idea: I have called it Alcatraz! Some bandaged333 puzzles are variations that are interesting enough to post, and some just feel like classics the instant you play with them. This one deserved a new post. It has 3 configuration variants that I have called Alcatraz, Alcatraz Lockdown and Alcatraz Solitary. It's interesting how the challenges step up, even though the configuration is the same. You might be surprized at the difficulty of locking that little cubie into solitary confinement! If you aren't a confident solver, try moving between the shape patterns for a nice little challenge.
Attachment:
Alcatraz.jpg
Alcatraz.jpg [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 8567 times ]
I will also show off this nice little puzzle that I called Stonhenge. It has a nice looking configuration. It's the puzzle of the day for those who don't want as much of a challenge as Alcatraz.
Attachment:
Stonehenge.jpg
Stonehenge.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 8567 times ]
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:55 am 

Burgo wrote:
I've got another interesting one to add this morning: The Bandaged YZ. I called it that because of the famous permutation patterns it presents.
Maybe you care about it:
The signature is 1680008C2FB461
It has 32 distinct shapes and 58320 permutations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 am 

My goodness Burgo you are designing them, and solving your designs, faster than I can actually make and do them! :shock:

I have started on your list (which I hope you keep updated) and am working my way through the easy ones. Because I like to do it a good few times before dismantling to make sure I understand it and also so I can bore my wife with a good description of it's differences and virtues each time, I tend to keep each one made up for 3-5 days! By the time I dismantle it you have designed another 3! 8-)

I am very thankful to Cubetwist for making this kit! It is a great way to learn about bandaging!

Andreas, I have a Mac and your program won't run! Would it be possible to port it to Java which is cross platform? If not then I do understand!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm 

Hi Kevin (and Andreas),

I haven't completely solved the Alcatraz variants yet (although I am fairly close), and this one I have only just made and scrambled this morning, but I know it will be a beauty:

Fused-3
Attachment:
Fused-3.jpg
Fused-3.jpg [ 660.93 KiB | Viewed 5440 times ]
Being inspired by this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22729 (It's a pity that thread never reached a full conclusion).

I have been thinking about a combination of the CT Bandaged 333 and `removed tiles` for quite a while. Removing tiles doesn't have to be restricted to minimum number, there are more challenges, some easier and some complicating. There's also the idea of multiple colours. So.. I’ve just purchased 2 more puzzles to facilitate 2 colour cubes or 3 sides of the same colour etc. This cube also allows many opportunities for beginners to make various simpler puzzles like edges only, or corners only versions, 2 opposite faces of the same colour etc.

I have taken the opportunity to test some of these ideas on the Fuse-3. You might like to try the Detiled Corners Only Fuse-3.
Attachment:
Corners Only Fuse-3.jpg
Corners Only Fuse-3.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 5424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 pm 

Hi Burgo,

I haven't actually got that far yet but would you be able to enlighten us about how you have named/designed the Planet series?

You didn't put any further pictures in showing how each differs from the next and I think this series might be a nice one to add.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm 

Hi Kevin,

The Bandaged Clock Planets are made from the single diagram (the photograph of the cube is the `diagram`). With 6 faces bandaged, the diagram in itself is not a fully functional puzzle. If you match the colours from the Crazy 333 diagram (from MF8) to my `photograph diagram`: the bandaged parts of the planets would be on the matching coloured faces (and therefore the unbandaged faces are on the matching coloured faces). Then you can make all 8 Planets. Some are quite trivial, it was just a fun idea, and sometimes fun ideas lead to more interesting things :) . I'll put a picture of the 333 Crazy Planet format on the post to make it easier to understand.

The Detiled Corners Only Fuse-3 is quite easy. [I really wanted to present it with the middle 1x1x1 corner totally untiled- all 3 tiles removed from it (and everything else exactly the same).. except it then might be seen as having more than one solution :( .] It's worth a go for a `tricky`but not so challenging solve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm 

Hi friends,

Today I got my CT bandaged set from customs office.
My experiences
It turns very smooth without lubrication.
It looks very nice.
One blue 1x1 sticker is missing :(

I began with easy cubes:

bandaged 3 = easy
big block = very easy ( similar crazy earth)
3 slices = very easy a little bit harder than big block
fuse cube = (crazy neptune)
2 bars4 = a little bit harder than bandaged 3

Ok now I tried the Bicube :(

I cannot solve it. :oops:
I cannot understand it. :oops:
I have no idea to find sequences. I m not able to find a sequence.

This cube is more difficult than crazy tetrahedron uranus.
The hardest puzzle ever.

Please help me.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm 

Hi Andrea,

have you looked at the posts above? In my post from October 16th I included a spoiler and it points you to Jaap's solution on Jaap's puzzle page. http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/bandage.htm (That's what I use since 1998 or so.)
We have discussed a bit the history and Andreas pointed out that the original Bicube looks different from the CT version. The CT version is the same as the earlier Meffert's Bandage Cube in a different colour scheme. The Cube originally named Bicube has a solid 2x2x2 block opposite to the single corner cubie. It is a bit easier than the CT version. I think that the CT Bicube (= Meffert's Bandaged Cube) is pretty hard.
Jaap's solution is quite clever. He uses two move sequences only and combines them in a very clever way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:59 pm 

Andrea wrote:
I began with easy cubes:

bandaged 3 = easy
big block = very easy ( similar crazy earth)
3 slices = very easy a little bit harder than big block
fuse cube = (crazy neptune)
2 bars4 = a little bit harder than bandaged 3

Hi Andrea,

You are a MUCH better solver than me so I am rather frightened of the Bicube!! :shock:
I am just working my way through Burgo's list in order from easy upwards!
I have done:
2Bar4
3 Slices
Big Block
Fuse Cube
Bandaged 3 (I did this because I bought it from Rline as a cube to add to my collection)

I have just done Stalactites - this was very enjoyable - I initially thought that all I needed to do was to reduce it to a Big block, but this is definitely not entirely the case - if you do just reduce it that way then it has some parity issues which caught me very much by surprise! I did manage it in the end and really feel quite proud of myself!! :D

If you need help with the Bicube then I suggest looking at DrWho/SuperAntonioVivaldi's YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi7Xvu-N-_Y
I haven't watched it yet as I haven't got that far with this cube set!

Burgo wrote:
The Bandaged Clock Planets are made from the single diagram (the photograph of the cube is the `diagram`). With 6 faces bandaged, the diagram in itself is not a fully functional puzzle. If you match the colours from the Crazy 333 diagram (from MF8) to my `photograph diagram`: the bandaged parts of the planets would be on the matching coloured faces (and therefore the unbandaged faces are on the matching coloured faces). Then you can make all 8 Planets. Some are quite trivial, it was just a fun idea, and sometimes fun ideas lead to more interesting things :) . I'll put a picture of the 333 Crazy Planet format on the post to make it easier to understand.

Thanks for this Burgo! Never underestimate how dim I can be!! I'm well known for it! In fact since starting the blog I'm internationally renowned for being "not terribly bright" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm 

Quote:

I cannot understand it. :oops:
I have no idea to find sequences. I m not able to find a sequence.

Andrea,

This is my feeling also with this puzzle. It seems somehow "different" to all the others, in that it's so difficult to find anything useful. I have read all this thread and I know about Jaap's page but I'm hoping to try and figure out something myself first. I think it requires a lot of thought, in the same way that me figuring out how to solve the 4th block twisted corner of the AI 444 required a lot of thought. :lol:

So far, what I've got to is being able to solve all the pieces with centers. I figure if this is done, then I might be able to experiment with moving around the other pieces somehow. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
I have just done Stalactites - this was very enjoyable - I initially thought that all I needed to do was to reduce it to a Big block, but this is definitely not entirely the case - if you do just reduce it that way then it has some parity issues which caught me very much by surprise! I did manage it in the end and really feel quite proud of myself!!
I'm very happy that you found it enjoyable and also that you were successful. That feeling of `I'll just do.. wait a minute.. what's this??` is just THE BEST isn't it :D ! I think (and hope) that many of the puzzles that I have presented will give that kind of experience to all levels of solvers, they certainly did to me. There are definately a few more surprises ahead. What I particularly liked about the Stalactites is that it made the Big Block concept so much more interesting.. even the reduction to a Big Block itself is quite contorted.

rline wrote:
This is my feeling also with [the Bicube]. It seems somehow "different" to all the others, in that it's so difficult to find anything useful.. So far, what I've got to is being able to solve all the pieces with centers. I figure if this is done, then I might be able to experiment with moving around the other pieces somehow. What do you think?
There is something `particular` (that I won't mention) about it that makes it not quite as difficult as you might think to find sequences. The problem is to find `matching` useful sequences.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:50 am 

Hi Kevin and Konrad and all other,

Thank you for your help.

I want find my own sequences. But this is not easy. If I cannot find own sequences I will look to Burgos, Konrads, Jaaps and Jon's sequences. The problem is to find out how it works. Only a face is turnable if it includes the 2x2x2 corner.

Kevin wrote:
So far, what I've got to is being able to solve all the pieces with centers. I figure if this is done, then I might be able to experiment with moving around the other pieces somehow. What do you think?

It's a little bit hard for me to memorize the configuration of the Bicube.
I cannot answer to this question, not yet. I didn't found a sequence. So I must find it do decide first change pieces with bandaged centers.

My opinion, how hard a puzzle is differs from the opinion of other people, I think.

After I solved the Bicube, I will proceed with Burgos designs. Fortress, Stalaktites, Clock's etc.
I'm late here in the thread :(

There are many color schemes. I stickered my Bicube like HKNowstore. Jon used a different color scheme.
Perhaps this is equvalent to Jaaps color scheme.

My solution for 2 bars4 is different to rline's solution.

Solution:
[spoiler]
I used the blue and green face with bars because I own only 8 blue 1x1 stickers

1) Put one Bar to left and one to the right. Turn the cube that the left bar is horizontal.
2) solve the 3 pieces under the left bar with intuition. Use the upper and right face for it.
3) solve the 3 pieces behind the right bar, with intuition, too.
4) turn the right face ( R), so the 3 positions FRU FR FRD comes to up face. The uper face and the slice is turnable.

4) solve the edges positions.
a) solve the upper left and right with this sequence: ( 3 cycle of edges UL -> UB -> UR)
L R' F L' R U2 L R' F L' R
b) solve the slice edges with (3 cycle or edges in slice U2 M' U2 M ) or U2 M2 U2 M2
5) solve corners
put the cube upside down ( x2) and make setup moves ( 1 or 2)
use the corner 3 cycle (L2 U R2 U')x 2

6) flip the edges with ( M' U2) x 4

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 am 

Quote:
My opinion, how hard a puzzle is differs from the opinion of other people, I think.

This is absolutely true, Andrea. I often find myself scratching my head at how I can't "see" something that a lot of others see clearly.

Quote:
After I solved the Bicube, I will proceed with Burgos designs. Fortress, Stalaktites, Clock's etc.
I'm late here in the thread :(

At least you're only late! I feel like I was there at the beginning but I just can't keep up. Too much other stuff going on...

Quote:
There is something `particular` (that I won't mention) about it that makes it not quite as difficult as you might think to find sequences.

Well, if it's not going to give the game away, I'd prefer that you did mention it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 am 

Quote:
This is my feeling also with [the Bicube]. It seems somehow "different" to all the others, in that it's so difficult to find anything useful.. So far, what I've got to is being able to solve all the pieces with centers. I figure if this is done, then I might be able to experiment with moving around the other pieces somehow. What do you think?

Quote:
There is something `particular` (that I won't mention) about it that makes it not quite as difficult as you might think to find sequences. The problem is to find `matching` useful sequences.

Yes the Bi Cube was kind of unique. I would not say hard but its tooked it time. If i would try to solve it yet, i absolutly would fail at that because i surely forgot at least one or two steps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 am 

rline wrote:
Burgo wrote:
There is something `particular` (that I won't mention) about it that makes it not quite as difficult as you might think to find sequences.
Well, if it's not going to give the game away, I'd prefer that you did mention it!
It would become obvious after a while anyway, and I really don't want to spoil your fun with something that you will no doubt find out, nonetheless: [ The format of the Bicube doesn't allow for orientations. ]

And today's cube: Wall-i (after Wall-E) and Unbandaged Wall-i they're on the easier end.
BTW I also solved the Fuse-3 today.

Attachments:
Wall-i.jpg
Wall-i.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 5290 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm 

I found some sequences for the Bicube.

This is the startposition
Attachment:
bistrt.jpg
bistrt.jpg [ 27.53 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

The two bandaged centers are back and bottom, the left blue 2x1 stickers are vertical.

The 3cycle R U R' F' U L' U' L F U' causes this:
Attachment:
bi3cycl.jpg
bi3cycl.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]
Attachment:
bi3cyc.jpg
bi3cyc.jpg [ 31.8 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

This sequence cause a nice 2x2 swap !
R U2 L' U2 R U' L U2 R' U' R'
Attachment:
bi2x2swap.jpg
bi2x2swap.jpg [ 25.59 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Attachment:
bi2x2swapb.jpg
bi2x2swapb.jpg [ 35.07 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

To manipulate the left/back/down piece I found a 5 cycle
U2 L U' F R F' L' U' F R' F'
Attachment:
bi5cyclefl.jpg
bi5cyclefl.jpg [ 28.05 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Attachment:
bi5cycle.jpg
bi5cycle.jpg [ 29.98 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm 

I solved my Bicube. :D :) 8-)
With my own solution.
Each possible position is solvable with this 3 sequences.

Kevin: your question about centers. My first step is make the shape and align the center-bars, then use the sequences.

Cheers,
Andrea

PS: Now I look to Burgo's designs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm 

Andrea wrote:
I solved my Bicube. :D :) 8-)
With my own solution.
Each possible position is solvable with this 3 sequences.
Wow, that is quite an achievement!
As I said above, I have solved it 14 years ago with massive help from Jaap's solution. At least at that time, I would have NEVER been able to solve it without help. Congratulations Andrea! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 pm 

Thank you Konrad,

did you try all designs from Burgo? My next is The Bandaged Loop.

Cheers,
Andrea

PS: Did you solve your Camouflage. The camouflage thread stops :( :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 am 

The bandaged fortress.
Permuting the 7 edges is no problem.

But:
Attachment:
fortress.jpg
fortress.jpg [ 83.19 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

(edit)
I found a solution for it and solved the bandaged fortress.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 am 

My first design.
It's bandaged 3 with an additional 2x2x1 block.
Name : bandaged 3+

Attachment:
bandaged3p.jpg
bandaged3p.jpg [ 66.91 KiB | Viewed 5200 times ]

I cannot solve it , not yet.

Try it. Only one difference to bandaged 3, but much harder.
Corners are able turn and permute.
Edges are able flip and permute.
Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 am 

Hi Andrea,

Finally someone else is playing.. and a really interesting little mid weight puzzle too. I solved it!
[
Stage 1 (no setup)
1. [Yellow U, Red F]:Solve blocks> except red, blue, yellow (leave in LL).
2. Solve E edges (by doing Uw twists and taking advantage of the slot in D).
3. Orientate LL edges using last E slot- relatively intuitively- no algs.
EDIT: I will elaborate on the final sequence: [with Blue F, Yellow U] (Last flipped edge in UL red, blue, yellow block upside down in FRD slot):
R U2 R' F' U' F This is an intuitive twist, so the sequence is just instructions.
4. L U L' U L U2 L' (or mirror with Blue as F) to place red/yellow edge.

Stage 2 (completed under setup DF')
5. [setup D F'] Place corners with a twist (I only solved it once, I need to check if I can 3cycle them).
EDIT: I just found that there was a 3cycle and I got lucky. So.. I have a 2 corner adjacent swap:
While in the setup [D F'] the swap is of URF<>URB: [F' U2 F] [(R2 U R2 U' R2) U'D (R2 U' R2 U R2) D'] [F' U2 F] ends still in the setup [F D']
6. Orientate corners and place edges with known Sune combos.
7. Undo setup [F D']
]

Much fun, Thankyou Andrea!

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.