Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you solve the Wormhole I ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi friends,
the wormhole cube is a nice puzzle. It turns smooth. It's not to hard, but tricky.
The inner core is like a fuse cube. One corner is fix to the inner edges. It makes fun to solve it. Perhaps it's difficult like a crazy cube neptune but different. I like this puzzle.

Cheers,
Andrea
...Spoiler not copied!...
I totally agree with Andrea. :)
The interesting thing is that I had immediately the same idea as Andrea in her spoiler in the original post.
(I just had a look at it, after I had solved the Wormhole a week or two ago.)
More interesting, though, somebody else mentioned a very much different idea in a PM, before even the physical puzzle was in his hands.
Sorry, but as it turns out: I had the different idea and Andrea and X Burgo share the same outline.

I'm sure he will post something here, when he has solved the Wormhole with both methods.

The question is: Are there more different ideas around?

For now I do not want to give any hints (looking at Andrea's spoiler could influence one already) but stimulate uninfluenced posts here.
Please, use spoiler brackets and use text colour white at your right in the editing mode, if you give explicit hints!

For those of you, who have not got it: It is a very nice puzzle, turns excellently and provides a lot of fun.
Easier than the Mixup Plus, I would say but this may depend if you have ever seen a XXX [spoiler] fused [spoiler] Cube before.

EDIT: I have to edit my text above, because I had read Andrea's spoiler incorrectly. Sorry for all the confusion :oops:

Last edited by Konrad on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How do you solve the Wormhole I ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm 

Hi Konrad. I set my Wormhole I cube aside when I got stuck on the [spoiler] fused Cube [spoiler] part. It has been sitting here on my desk silently taunting me while I went on to solve both of my Mixup Plus cubes. Your post inspired me to make my own [spoiler] fused Cube [spoiler] puzzle out of [spoiler] an old Rubik's Cube and some black duct tape [spoiler] and learn to solve it. It was MUCH easier to learn on an actual puzzle! I recommend this approach for anyone who is stuck or who has never experienced the challenge of the [spoiler] fused Cube [spoiler].

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:19 pm 

Let's call the solution of somebody X Wormhole (X) and Andrea's and my method Wormhole (A,K).
Because Andrea and X share the same general outline, it is just the other way around:
Let's call the solution of somebody X and Andrea's Wormhole (A,X) and my method Wormhole (K).

The funny thing is that in both methods you will find a [spoiler]fused cube[spoiler] part.
I have no idea of the details how X or Andrea or you are doing this part.
The difference between Wormhole (K) and Wormhole (A,X) is in the rest of the methods.

I know that I'm talking in riddles :wink: , but X will certainly reveal his method as soon as he will receive his puzzle.
The amazing thing is that mister X made up his method not having the physical puzzle in his hands. :shock:

It can very well be that nobody else besides X has had this idea before.

EDIT: I just looked via Google for a [spoiler]fused cube[spoiler] solution. I found only one and at the first glance it looked quite complex. I guess we can discuss details of this part later in this thread.
For now, I want to solicit more general Wormhole ideas.
Can anyone guess mister X's idea?

EDIT2: I have to edit my text above, because I had read Andrea's spoiler incorrectly. Sorry for all the confusion :oops: Probably X Burgo does not even know that he came up with the same idea as Andrea.

Last edited by Konrad on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm 

Would his idea be to reduce the puzzle to a fused cube?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 am 

Well, I solved it :mrgreen: ! I solved the [spoiler] secret thing first. I'm not quite sure how I solved the edges (I did a lot of slice turns), but I got to a case where the last layer edges could be placed with a nifty M-layer algorithm . [spoiler]Now I understand what Andrea meant when she said it is not too hard.

With the correct mental model, and some experience solving the [spoiler] fused cube. [spoiler], solving the Wormhole I was just a modest challenge 8-).

I'm looking forward to see how others solve it!

P.S.: I will go on record in saying [spoiler] I didn't do anything to the edges until after the inner part and corners were solved. "Edges last". Next time I'll get out my M-layer algorithm much earlier. [spoiler]

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Would his idea be to reduce the puzzle to a fused cube?
You are right! As I have said in my edits: My method is the different one and can be called
[spoiler] 1. pair inner and outer edges = reduce it to a fused cube; the pairing is in a sense similar to pairing 4x4x4 edges.
2. solve the reduced fused cube by turning unbandaged faces only. Fused Cube = Crazy Neptune

[spoiler]
Pete, can you guess who X might be? Somebody who has ideas how to solve a puzzle without having it in his hands? :wink:

EDIT: I have to edit my text above, because I had read Andrea's spoiler incorrectly. Sorry for all the confusion :oops:

Last edited by Konrad on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 am 

Can I take a guess at the identity of the mysterious Mr X? [ Is it Burgo? :lol: I am afraid that my reputation may be starting to exceed me. I still haven’t received the Wormhole yet, but I will post anyway ]. This thread is very creative and fun. I am sure that someone will come up with the same method as the very cryptic Mr X [ in a consolidated method ] soon. It is probably not that much of a leap. Until then I’ll let the games continue…

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 am 

Hi friends,

I don't understand what Mr X mean. My english is not enough to follow conversations. This is the only the reason that I don't answer to postings with much text. Sorry Konrad, Burgo. Please excuse that. So only I 'm able to answer to cube specific things.

The wormhole solve can act like a crazy cube neptune. 3 facces around a corner are bandaged. Temporary blockbuilding like f2l on Rubik's Cube can help you.
You can solve the last inner edges and outer corners like a Crazy Neptune after pairing edges and corners.

One possibility to make a 3 cycle of orners with F U R face:

R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 F2 U' F2 U' F2 U2 ( same to solve crazy neptune)

Flip 2 inner edges : F R U R' U' F'
Turn corners with (RF'R'F) x 2 and variants.

3 cyles of edges with only 2 faces like 3x3x2 cube.

R2 U R2 U' R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U' R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2

last step outer edges:
U2 M' U2 M changes 3 outer edges but doesn't touch inner edges.

R' L F R L' U2 R' L F R L' changes 2 outer edges in one layer and flip 2 of them and doesn't touch inner edges.

(R E ) x 4 flip 4 outer eddges and doesn't touch inner pieces.
Each conjugator of this sequences does'n touch the inner core.
Conjugator of (a,x) is a x a'
Where a is each possible sequence and x is a sequence that doesn't touch the inner core.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 am 

Hi Andrea,

now the cat is out of the bag - at least partially :lol: (If I googled it correctly, you can translate it literally from German"Die Katze ist aus dem Sack")

Thank you for sharing your sequences!
Mr X = mister X is nothing special, in German we would probably say Herr X, referring to "somebody", when we do not want to reveal the name.
It was just a little joke.

I see now that I have read your spoiler in your original email incorrectly. :oops:
Your outline is identical to the one of this mysterious mister X.
[spoiler]
Solve it with reduction method.
Pair inner edges with outer corners.
Take care that the fix corner doesn't touch your sequences.
Use 3x3x2 cube sequences to permute inner edges and outer corners in last layer.
Last step: permute outer edges with slice comutators and conjugators

[spoiler]
Several of your sequences are new for me and I'm doing things a bit differently.
So, I have to edit my posts above.
Sorry for the confusion!

E.g. your sequence R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 F2 U' F2 U' F2 U2 (I would add an F2 at the end) has the nice property that the orientation of corners and edges is not changed.
(You can cut and paste this into Gelatinbrain: R2, U, R2, U, R2, U2, R2, U2, F2, U', F2, U', F2, U2, F2)
EDIT:
[spoiler]My method in a bit more detail:
1. pair inner and outer edges - easy
2. solve the reduced Fused Cube by turning unbandaged faces only.
The details can obviously vay a lot!
In my puzzle the orange/yellow/blue corner bandaged with the inner edges.
We turn the white / red / green faces only.
2.1 yellow cross
2.2 Yellow corners
2.3 second layer edges by R' U' R' U' R' U R U R and similar
2.4 place LL (white) corners by 3-cycle F R U' R' U R U R' F' U'
2.5 orientate edges by F (R U R' U')X2 F'
2.6 place edges by R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2 (or Sune y mirrored Sune)
2.7 Orientate corners by (R F' R' F)X2 and similar (or Sune U' y mirrored Sune U y'; Antisune & mirrored Antisune)

[spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

Are we certain that all copies of the puzzle are made the same way so that [spoiler]the fused corner is always the Orange-Blue-Yellow[spoiler]?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am 

Sorry again that I caused some confusion.
Mike was on the right track, and as it turns out I was the myterious mister X myself! :lol:

The explanation is that my brain picked up the first sentence of Andrea's post, only.
Quote:
Solve it with reduction method.
Ah, OK, I thought, this is what I'm doing as well.
I think I should write now plain text without further [spoiler] brackets :)
I see two different outlines `how to solve the Wormhole I`:

A 1. Pair outer and inner edges. I would call this `reduction to a Fused Cube`. After a scramble the corners and inner edges are still a Fused Cube. Because the inner and outer edges will not be paired, it is not yet a complete Fused Cube regarding outer edges. Step A.1 produces a regular, complete Fused Cube still scrambled.
A 2. Solve the Fused Cube avoiding any face turns including the bandaged corner (in my case the orange/blue/yellow corner).

B 1. Solve the Fused Cube of corners and inner edges first using unbandaged face turns only.
B 2. Solve the outer edges by an `edges last` method where you do not disturb the inner edges.

As I understand the posts in this thread, three people had the idea using method B, while one (Konrad) immediately solved it by method A.

Several different sequences and outlines are possible solving a Fused Cube (as we see above), but I would be very surprised if somebody comes up with a Wormhole method essentially different from methods A or B described in this post.

I leave it to you to decide which method suits you better.
Your decision may very well be dependent, if you are familiar with the `edges last` method solving an ordinary 3x3x3 or not.

I think that all who have solved it agree that the Wormhole I is a fun puzzle.
Yet again, a puzzle that is not too hard and not too easy. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 am 

Hi Konrad, Hi together,

My description was not exact enough. My method is not a pairing method :!: :oops: ( In first step I paired outer Corners with inner edges, but this is not necessary).
But it is reduction, too. :) Reduction is to reduce it to an easier problem. Is it wrong :?:
I solve a :scrambled: without outer edges! It's a fuse cube ( crazy neptune).
Last step solve outer edges. :arrow: :solved:

Your method pairing outer edges with inner edges is very interesting. :!:
Congratulations to your method :!:

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 am 

Hi Andrea,
Andrea wrote:
....But it is reduction, too. :) Reduction is to reduce it to an easier problem. Is it wrong :?:
I guess you can call this reduction, too.
I would prefer, though, to say that in a first step the Fused Cube consisting of corners and inner edges is solved.
The remaining problem are the outer edges. You can say that you have reduced the original problem to a corner solved 3x3x3. Due to the bandaging it is still not an ordinary `last edges` problem. (Some last edges sequences can destroy the inner edges.) Still, it is a much easier problem that remains.

I understand the word reduction in the context of puzzles `reduce a given puzzle to a simpler puzzle`, e.g. reduce a 4x4x4 to a 3x3x3.

In any case, your first spoiler was clear enough. It was my fault that I did not read it completely to the end. I just wanted to explain why it happened to me.
I jumped immediately to the wrong conclusion that our two methods were identical. :oops:
Your first post above in this thread caused that I read your original spoiler again and I understood my mistake.

Still, I find the difference between the two methods interesting. I like both and I'm switching between them.

Personally, I see a certain advantage that I can solve the more challenging problem (step 2 in my outline) looking at the clearly visible outer edges and I do not have to look into the holes.
BTW, to look up the inner edges through the holes is MUCH easier than to spot the inner Megaminx pieces of the Multi Dodecahedron. Moderate lighting is OK for the Wormhole (nice name :) btw) while extremely good lighting is required for the Multi-D.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 am 

Hi Konrad and oll other,

your method pairing outer edges with inner edges is very interesting and nice.

Thank you for sharing it.

I tried this with succes.
1) Build the 2x2x2 block with fix inner edges.
2) pair all inner edges with outer edges ( different to crazy 3x3 neptune).
3) solve the fuse cube. ( similar to solve crazy neptune after pairing all)

Cheers,
Andrea