Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help in speeding up 3x3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am 

My average 3x3 speed is around 32 to 35 seconds. This is using a completely beginners method. I've though about learning more to decrease my times, but don't really want to learn entire Fridrich method. Which do you all think would drop my times the fastest/most, :solved: learning F2L or LL, considering time to learn the algs, time to get efficient, and time it may shave off. I currently am around 15 seconds for both getting F2L done now (excluding cross) and 15 seconds for last layer. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help in speeding up 3x3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 am 

Actually the speedsolving forum is the better one for questions like yours. However: A very important thing you need to learn is 4-Look-LL. It is way faster than beginner LL.
You say your F2L takes you around 15 seconds. That is fast and I am sure you have nice tps. However, to get very quick, you should definately learn Fridrich F2L. It may slow you down a bit in the beginning, but after a lot of practice you will solve more efficiently and faster. It may take a while to get there.
Learning 2look-LL is not as hard as most people think. You can do it in a month if you really want to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am 

Learn F2L (there is actually nothing to learn, just practice until you can solve every single case without thinking so you can just see what's going to happen next).

Then, learn 2look OLL (7 algs I think) and 2look PLL (another 7 algs I think). With that you can average 20 seconds, but get ready to practice a lot :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm 

Thanks for the input. Looks like F2L is the place to start.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:07 pm 

Also note that it is much better to solve F2L intuitively, it will help you visualize pieces. Only use algs if you are stuck on a case that you feel you can solve faster otherwise.