Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to Solve David Pitcher's Fracture6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 am 

How to solve David Pitcher’s Fracture6

This is a complete and obvious *spoil* , if you do not want to know how to solve David Pitcher’s Fracture6: DO NOT READ PAST THE 1st PARAGRAPH..

I have really enjoyed this little puzzle and I feel that it’s solution is a little easier to `perform` than the trickiness of `figuring out a method`, so if you are a solver, please don’t read on.. and first have a go yourself. But after talking with David we agreed that a solving thread might encourage others who have not yet tried this great little puzzle to become inspired.. It’s bandaged, but not overly bandaged, and in my opinion it has a `just right` feel about it. It's difficult enough to get you thinking when developing a method, and easy enough for a non-solver to `learn the method`.

Notation:

I will use the notation in Diagram 1

a) U L or R will signify a 180* vertex turn (a full turn) of one of the corresponding corners.
b) Corresponding to the Bermuda Cube notation U+ L+ or R+ will signify a 90* turn clockwise (a half turn) and U- L- or R- will signify a 90* turn in an anticlockwise direction.
c) There are 3 piece types, I will call them centres, edges and corners. With the edges: the distinction will be made between edges located wholly within the warm or cool faces (that are part of the `corner group`) and those that lie between the faces (along with 2 centres) that are part of the `edge group`.

Method:

1. The first task is to recognise the positions of the corners and locate the warm and cool faces. Twist the corners until they all match up like in the first picture in Diagram 2. Next, create 3 edge groups like the second picture, this allows you to exchange edges easier. You can exchange edges (between edge groups and corner groups) by making a star pattern on one of the corners, as shown in the other 2 pictures.

2. When the puzzle is set up you can exchange edges between corner and edge groups to `make all of the corner groups`.

3. When all of the corner groups are made the puzzle will look like the first 2 pictures in diagram 3. Next place the 3 remaining edges with a 3cycle sequence like RLRL and orientate 2 with RLRLULUL and the puzzle will only need the centres placed. The puzzle will look like the last 2 pictures in Diagram 3.

4. To place the centres I have devised a few methods but the best seems to be a 5cycle. On the warm face it looks like: L (RU+RU-)X3 L and on the cool face it looks like R (LU-L+)X3 R. This will cycle 5 centres pure, but not the centre on the lower part of the opposite face.

So make the cycle until 1 centre only is placed. Hold the puzzle so `that` centre is in the the lower position on the back face and perform the appropriate sequence up to 4 times. If you want to learn the reverse and the direction of the cycle you could cut it down to 2 applications.

I’d be interested to hear about other peoples’ experiences with the puzzle..
Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
File comment: Diagram 1
Fracture6 diagram 1.jpg
Fracture6 diagram 1.jpg [ 141.61 KiB | Viewed 776 times ]
File comment: Diagram 2
Fracture6 diagram 2.jpg
Fracture6 diagram 2.jpg [ 177.43 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Diagram 3
Fracture6 diagram 3.jpg
Fracture6 diagram 3.jpg [ 131.4 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)