Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Memorization techniques on alg's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 pm 

:D
Here we can post our techniques for memorazation of the algs we are doing and trying to remember. I have heard that people have diffrent approaches on this subject and we are all diffrent so there is NO ultimate technique that every1 will love, rather try to post what YOU are doing to get around the cube and getting the alg's stick in your head. Many can get tips here, and if it goes well maybe we can sticky it for every1.

Here is some of my techniques:

* When I first started to really learn alg's I had about 8 (3x3x3) cubes and set them all up with the same "problem" and solved all, in the same order and that way I didnt let my mind have a break, I just tried it on one cube and when I got that alg I moved on to the next cube right away! On All eight cubes. I first started with the alg on a paper and slowly took away the paper and when I got it I moved on with a timer involved, so that I could have some stress on me, that way I developed a "speed" pattern in my fingers when I did the alg. With this technique I forget the alg on the paper very fast and it melts into my head and fingers.

With long algs its very good for me to come up with "MY" own names that are absurd, and maybe cut the alg down into sections, that way I learn it faster.

Now, I use the technique that Thrawst uses I think, you have prob seen him on youtube, he uses these cards with the set-up alg and the solution on the back, and the name and picture of the alg. This can be very effective, atleast for me it is. :)

Some other techniques I have heard about:

* Get a clean cube with no stickers and only put on the stickers that the alg will effect (or move around) that way you only concentrate on those cubies.

* Do the algs right before bed (that way you remember them better? :? ) I have heard that its at night your short term memory loss is most effective, but some do this.

* I hope some people will reveal what their techniques are, but as a finishing touch on this post,

"Never ever, learn 2 or more algs at the same time" Gungz (mronni)

Happy memo!

Last edited by dextir on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Memorization teqhs on alg's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:59 pm 

I guess you mean techniques, rote learning is the future.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject: Re: Memorization techniques on alg's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:38 pm 

I'm glad this topic was brought up.
I've been working on a general memorization method (for text, piano music, algorithms, etc.). An explanation of it is kind of foggy right now, but the general principles, I guess, are:

1. Most people have near photographic memory. (this is my theory :))
2. If you TRY to remember something, it seems to slip away; if you TRY NOT to think of something, your mind just chews on it, and you remember it really well.
3. Doing something over and over is a great way to tell yourself, "I CAN'T remember!" or "My memory is bad."
4. One or two looks should be good enough. Start with that attitude. It probably won't happen immediately, but it will improve with practice.

So, now that I've confused everybody :wink: , here is a demo:

To memorize a group, stanza, or convenient pack of words (or letters, or notes); read it over a few times, relaxed. Then try (confidently) to recite it by memory.
Once you begin to forget, peak at the source again for a split second, look away, then keep going. With this method, I can memorize about 25 words under a minute, and it sticks.

Sorry this isn't something specific for memorizing algorithms; When I have the time, I'm going to quickly memorize the Roux corner algs in one sitting, and then give a better explanation of what I did.

I'll be back. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:19 pm 

Not puzzle-related, but on the subject of memorization techniques...

I knew a musician who thought he'd devised the ultimate mnemonic for remembering the order of sharps and flats in musical key signatures. For the order of flats he used the first letter of each word in the sentence:Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

To remember the order of sharps you merely reverse the words to get this sentence: Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

He thought it was really ingenious, but I thought it was pretty silly. It doesn't really help because the words are too easily swapped around, like "Father Charles" versus "Charles' Father." The words can be rearranged dozens of different ways and still sound like a sentence:

Down Father Charles Goes And Battle Ends.
Charles' Father Ends Battle And Goes Down.
Down Goes Charles And Ends Father's Battle.
Father's Battle Ends And Down Charles Goes.

Not a good memory-aid in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Not puzzle-related, but on the subject of memorization techniques...

I knew a musician who thought he'd devised the ultimate mnemonic for remembering the order of sharps and flats in musical key signatures. For the order of flats he used the first letter of each word in the sentence:Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

To remember the order of sharps you merely reverse the words to get this sentence: Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

He thought it was really ingenious, but I thought it was pretty silly. It doesn't really help because the words are too easily swapped around, like "Father Charles" versus "Charles' Father." The words can be rearranged dozens of different ways and still sound like a sentence:

Down Father Charles Goes And Battle Ends.
Charles' Father Ends Battle And Goes Down.
Down Goes Charles And Ends Father's Battle.
Father's Battle Ends And Down Charles Goes.

Not a good memory-aid in my opinion.

Yeah, that is a cumbersome technique. A much better way to remember the order of sharps and flats, is the circle of fifths. Once I understood how the circle of fifths worked, memorizing the order was a piece of cake. That goes back to cubing. One should understand how the algorithm works (how the chunks are moved around). When I did for a certain algorithm, it was easy to remember. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:17 pm 

I agree. Don't just memorize the moves. Understanding how the alg works, and watching where the pieces go really helps. If you do it this way, you'll notice there are "groups" of algs that are very similar- some are mirrors of each other, others have the same groups of moves, but a slightly different setup or finish.

That, and as the other guys said- repetition, and don't learn more than one a day. I'll learn one, do it a couple of dozen times with the card (I have a note cube that I write each alg I'm learning on with the setup alg, and a drawing of the alg itself. Once I can recognize where it's used, have the moves memorized, and can picture the pieces moving into place, I'll go watch a movie, and do the alg a couple hundred times. After a few minutes, you won't have to look at it, and the repetition burns it into your muscle memory. Then take a break, say an hour or so, then try it again. If you can't remember, refer to the cheat sheet.

I usually won't try to learn another alg for at least 2 days so it really sinks in. Then the hard part is getting the speed and rotation accuracy down.

That's what's worked for me so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:28 am 

flambore wrote:
I agree. Don't just memorize the moves. Understanding how the alg works, and watching where the pieces go really helps. If you do it this way, you'll notice there are "groups" of algs that are very similar- some are mirrors of each other, others have the same groups of moves, but a slightly different setup or finish.

i think this is the most important part. when learning an alg i'll spend like 5 mins doing each turn really slowly and watching what it does, and then i'll never need to read the alg again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm 

Learn first, understand second.

To be honest, there is NO way that you can understand how most OLL/PLL algs work, so why bother go slow and learning 'what they do'?

F2L is the only part you should be concerned about understand as this can lead to some improvised F2L work. OLL/PLL is blind alg application, using sequences found by computers, beyond human understanding, they just work.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:04 pm 

I didn't mean understand the OLL and PLL algorithms completely; as you learn them, you can notice how the F2L chunks are moved around in relation to the whole F2L and LL. Same thing for the F2L algorithms: I don't watch everything, just the pieces involved.

I see where you're coming from though: you can't understand OLL and PLL algs to create them on the spot (probably), but you can understand F2L algs well enough to make them. By the way, I made most of my OLL algs, but I still don't understand them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:

My piano teacher tryed to teach me that, I doubt it was self-devised.

And yes, it's a poor method.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:41 am 

Practice practice practice! :roll:

I memorize new algorithms that I stumble upon during solves by repeating the case and working out finger tricks for it. It's rewarding to discover them yourself rather than memorizing a bunch of algorithms from a website. Although it's probably faster just to learn them from a website... :P

Tim.

Post subject: Re: Memorization teqhs on alg's
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:20 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I guess you mean techniques, rote learning is the future.

I use rote about 30-40 minutes before I go to bed; works every time for me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 am 

I use fridrich and this is how I remember algs

F2L is strictly logic.

OLL is treating one or more F2L pairs with a trick. pulling them out, either do a correction on the LL pieces and inserting again, or insert pairs in a nother manner than they were taken out

PLL is mostly
-composed of two OLL algs and optimized
-using a commutator
or having a special trick that you remember because its special

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:08 am 

I have a slow but simple method: write the algorithm in large print on a piece of paper, leave on computer desk. After a few days it just sinks in because it's been sitting there in my field of view for so long.

This is how I memorized my megaminx's color scheme as well, accidentally. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:19 am 

Thanks for the advice. I was kinda overwhelmed when I first looked at friedrich. I guess I just wanted to learn all the algs at once, and got confused or something. I think trying to learn them one by one will help astronomically. :solved:

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:38 am 

Here's an easy way if you're more of a "visual" person:
1) Select an algorithm that suits the case and looks like it'll be easy to execute (personal preference)
2) Paste the algorithm into an applet
3) Mimic the movements as the applet plays (repeat a few times)
4) Execute the algorithm without looking at the applet (repeat several times, refer back to Step 3 if lost)
5) Adjust the way the algorithm is executed until it's more comfortable (if it's just not comfortable after a lot of practice, go back to Step 1)

Note:
- It's also helpful if you execute the algorithm anywhere between 2-6 times until it returns to a solved state (if possible). If you pay attention to the pattern of the cube just before it's solved again, you'll know when to apply it more readily (as apposed to doing heaps of solves and having that case come up randomly*).

Tim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:22 pm 

oh, I wanna add that I always learned the reverse and or inverse of the OLL algorithms
this way i could practice back and forth. and yea just play with the algorithm from different angles and stuf
this way you get up to 4 oll cases at once :D

many plls are also mirrors and reverses of each other

its not needed to know how they work, but it makes the flow of it nicer when you do

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:04 pm 

My first improvements from the super-basic solve techniques you can find in youtube videos were based on inverses of the algorithms shown. When I started doing algorithms backward, I was surprised to find that there were instances when I could do one reverse algorithm rather than doing the original algorithm multiple times. I'm definitely a believer in learning a move and its inverse at the same time, even if it does violate the "one algorithm at a time" rule.

As far as intuitively understanding the moves, I think that works on a lot of commutators, but most algorithms I simply can't follow what is happening through the sequence of moves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:17 pm 

Moike wrote:
My first improvements from the super-basic solve techniques you can find in youtube videos were based on inverses of the algorithms shown. When I started doing algorithms backward, I was surprised to find that there were instances when I could do one reverse algorithm rather than doing the original algorithm multiple times. I'm definitely a believer in learning a move and its inverse at the same time, even if it does violate the "one algorithm at a time" rule.

Yes, I was shocked to find this out too, then I thought about it more and wondered why I hadn't figured it out earlier. But hey, we're all beginners at some point. Btw, I don't really like inverses because I get them confused with each other. I like more different algorithms.