Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Guitar Players
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:49 pm 

Anyone here play guitar? If so what guitar have you got, how long have you been playing, what sort of music do you play etc etc?

I've been playing since December 28th 2004. I have a Squier Fender Telecaster in Metallic Midnight Wine.(Mine is actually a different colour but it is that same model.) My next guitar is going to be a urlhttp://www.ibanez.co.jp/eg_page.php? ... _NO=PGM301]PGM 301.[/url]

I play Classic Rock and Metal but I am now starting to learn how to Shred, so I when I get going with it, I will focus my full attention on it. My main influences are Chris Impellitteri and Paul Gilbert. For anyone who doesn't know, Impellitteri is possibly the fastest person to pick up an instrument, and Gilbert, although not the fastest (but one of the fastest) is one of the most technical guitar players, even at speed of 17+ notes per second.

If you want some videos here are some:
Paul Gilbert - Scarified
Chris Impellitteri shredding
Cover of Impellitteri's 17th Century Chicken Pickin'[

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:09 pm 

I don't understand about guitars, but me friend (who neither understand about...) told me that this one is much better.... really is he better?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aSzAEtf63XA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:13 pm 

That band seems to have a decent guitarist, but I would still say that Paul Gilbert is one of the (if not) the best technically talented guitar player. He also has big hands...luck him.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:07 pm 

Ive been playing since about june of last summer. I have a schecter Diamond series C-1+. I love the thing. I suck at guitar, but i really like to "try" and plasy classic rock and a little metal. I mostly like ACDC and Zeppelin and stuff like that. Im teaching myself to play and i have never taken a lesson in my life. Maybe thats why im terrible... :?

Post subject: guitar player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:32 pm 

Hi Pembo,

I started playing in the end of 1964 on a classical guitar I got from Tiajuana.

I've a Guild F-312, which I've had since 1969. A beautiful guitar which sometimes gets introduced first. It was dubbed "Excalibur" by a woman in Seattle.

Before the Guild 12 string I had Goya 12 string, a Rickenbacker 366-12 and a Barney Kessel six string.

Other guitars I like include the Epiphone Texan, the early Hummingbirds, and the Gretch Country Gentleman, and if you ever run across virtually anything by Holtzapfel, the father, especially a classical guitar, try it out.

The Holtzapfel classical has the finest neck I've ever played. It is thinner than the Ric and wider, made of ebony, it’s straight as an arrow, having low action w/ no buzz, and great bass tones.

I play early 60's stuff and a lot of Beatles' songs, some classical music and a bunch of my own songs.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:35 am 

I am self taught too. The Classic stuff I play is things like Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy etc. I have hardly learned any full songs, I just learn random riffs or just the solo. I am in the middle of learning to Duke Nukem Theme Tune by Megadeth, and only have a few bars left to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:30 am 

thats exactly what i do, i barely know one whole song...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:20 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I am self taught too. The Classic stuff I play is things like Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy etc. I have hardly learned any full songs, I just learn random riffs or just the solo. I am in the middle of learning to Duke Nukem Theme Tune by Megadeth, and only have a few bars left to learn.

Cool.

The classical stuff I'm referring to is pieces like Romanza and Bach's Bouree`

In my youth the riffs to learn were from Del Shannon's "Runaway," The Beatles "Til there was you." Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven."

Want a challenge? Learn Slash's riffs from G'N'R's "Sweet Child of Mine."

David J

If you are self-taught and want to get good then compose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:24 pm 

Sorry my reply was in response to Ryan, my bad.

I can play that GnR riff, I learned it last year sometime, I find Slash's stuff really feeble.
Want a real challenge? Learn the main riff to Scarified by Racer X ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:27 pm 

When I think of awesome guitar playing I can't help but think of "fun2"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjJXT0C ... rch=funtwo

Gotta wonder if he'll be able to turn this into a career. He certainly has the technical chops to be able to keep up with JerryC's Canon and actually play it more cleanly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:28 pm 

Wow, that truly amazed me. I'm about as musically retarded as they come, but I can still spot excessive amounts of skill when I see it.

As far as playing the guitar goes-- you can count me out. My musical intstrumentation goes about as far as "Twinkle Little Star" on the piano. Although on at least two occasions I've had people tell me I would/must be really good at playing guitar after seeing my speedy fingers demonstrate their cube solving skills.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:24 am 

The best Guitar work I've seen in person included Jerry Garcia when the Dead played Golden Gate park in April of 1969 with Jefferson Airplane. Some people wrap up a song in 8 bars, Jerry Garcia, with a homing instinct that would have impressed JSBach, took several minutes to end it once he turned for home.

Glenn Schwartz of Pacific Gas and Electric, and Jim McGuinn of the Byrds, played with qualities that I've rarely heard, and Beau Charles of the Knickerbockers, a group that was absolutely incredible, played as cleanly as Segovia.

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:42 am 

Jin H Kim wrote:
When I think of awesome guitar playing I can't help but think of "fun2"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjJXT0C ... rch=funtwo

Gotta wonder if he'll be able to turn this into a career. He certainly has the technical chops to be able to keep up with JerryC's Canon and actually play it more cleanly.

Oh, Canon Rock, I am thinking of learning that some time, maybe after I finish with Megadeth. The Turkish March is also on my list to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:29 am 

I play guitar for more than 11 years now.

I have several guitars but my main "axe" is a black Gibson Les Paul.

Death Metal is my passion and the music I play.

Q