Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Theft
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
I just got a shocking reminder today that people *do* steal...


Three hours ago, while playing football, one (or more) thieves have stolen my bicycle bag which had
my wallet, student and credit cards, money for the conference, Nokia 9300 mobile phone,
two pairs of expensive prescription glasses (one for sun), LS633 Kodak camera + accessories,
creative mp3 player, a few custom and rare puzzles, hand watch, all my keys (I can't even unlock my bicycle now!),
and lots of expensive bicycle gear.

The total loss in value easily reaches $2000-3000, but the trouble I am right now until I get back
to normal cannot be counted in any money, especially trying to find the lost phone contacts...
I have been playing football for 11 years at this university, 2-4 times a week, and this the first time such thieves had the nerve to steal items (I was not the only person who had items stolen) since our bags are just beside where we play.

Right now I definitely need some time to recover and to restart thinking positively before I fly on Tuesday for an overseas conference.


Peter

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Solace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
God doesn't put anything before you that you cannot handle my friend. It is how you handle things such as this that will allow you to move beyond and above where you were before that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:29 am
Location: San Diego, California
on monday i got to work to find out that my laptop was not where it should be. i still cant find it. i figured it has been stolen. it sucks because its my work laptop and i have it setup for all of my programs and everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Bay Area(925), CA
My story was that I actally got assulted in Oakland, CA in my church parking lot and got stolen 80 dollars and my portable gaming console. I ended up getting stitches in my gums and 2 root canals. I still need to whiten and reenforce the teeth that have no nerves.

I did report it to the police but 2 months later there is no sign of these people :(

_________________
im back....after 18 months :X...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Solace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
sexualRubiks wrote:
God doesn't put anything before you that you cannot handle my friend. It is how you handle things such as this that will allow you to move beyond and above where you were before that.


Preciesly! It is moments like thsi when we should be strong. It is is easy to be strong when all go right, thanks for the thumbs up! :)


Adam: Sorry to hear this happened to you... a Laptop can contain a LOT of sensitive information... :(

Seunghoon Yi : Wow... you were actually assaulted and still suffer the consequences... hopefully both physical and other traumas will heal in the future...





UPDATE: Some unbelievable guys from Syria found my phone dropped in a place 20km away from the Uni. At least one of the (very expensive!) items is back! :)
The investigation is pointing out that the thieves were some high school students... (where is this world going to?)
Note that the puzzles which were lost were my two (prototype) custom made Magic Dino Cube, Magic maze, and Bronze Olympic Challenge, while there were also a rare Bolygok, a new red inversion and a Square-1. I guess I can re-make and/or find those puzzles again anyway... :roll:
(hmmm... maybe they stole my bag because of the puzzles???? :P hmmm.... naaaaah... )

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Arvada, CO
Maybe you can get lucky and they'll put these puzzles up on ebay in a lot! I doubt they know about the rarity of what they have.

_________________
"It's like an alarm clock, WOO WOO" -Bubb Rubb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:29 am
Location: San Diego, California
if they do go on ebay i think no one should bid on them and try to keep the puzzles at a low price so kastellorizo can win them and then find out where they live and get them back, arrest them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
the maximum amount I would bid should be as much as the cost of the combined items they stole from me... grrrr.... if only I could get them... I would lock them in a room without windows together with my astrolabacus until they become insane!!!!
(actually, on a second thought, this might be too cruel...)


Peter

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Rochester, MN
Adam Zamora wrote:
if they do go on ebay i think no one should bid on them and try to keep the puzzles at a low price so kastellorizo can win them and then find out where they live and get them back, arrest them!


Actually, I doubt they realize how much the stuff is actually worth. Besides, there's so many non-members that would beat us out. It'd be best to just report it.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I get nervous when I bring my puzzles to work to show people, because some of them are worth quite a bit. However, most of the time I have them locked in a cabinet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
wow, you have a real positive attitude about all this Peter. more power to you. i don't know how well i'd be handling it if my puzzles were stolen. i might bring a new meaning to going postal!!

i hope the best for you in recovering your items lost. it's not even just the monetary value, but how personal it was. things like that are very hard to replace.

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 6:14 am
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
Good thing I'm not a religious man because I most definitely do believe in wrath.

_________________
http://chrono.org/puzzles.html
http://www.youtube.com/nechronius


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
reeeech wrote:
wow, you have a real positive attitude about all this Peter. more power to you. i don't know how well i'd be handling it if my puzzles were stolen. i might bring a new meaning to going postal!!

i hope the best for you in recovering your items lost. it's not even just the monetary value, but how personal it was. things like that are very hard to replace.


thanks for the kind words! :)

tomorrow I will search all places at the uni, because it seems the thieves had dumped anything that was not valuable for them. I really want to find those puzzles, the prototypes specifically *do* have some sentimental value...



And being positive is not just a way... in this world, it is the *only* way! ;)


Peter

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Theft
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 1999 3:02 am
Location: Canada
kastellorizo wrote:
I just got a shocking reminder today that people *do* steal...


Oh, dude! That's tragic! :cry: I sure hope you get your stuff back...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Bay Area(925), CA
Jin H Kim wrote:
Good thing I'm not a religious man because I most definitely do believe in wrath.


Being religous doesnt mean that you can have revenge on people hehhehheh

_________________
im back....after 18 months :X...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Arcadia, California
a while ago, i was listening to music on my psp as i was walking home. then some dude randomly appears behind me and grabs meby the waist, then he figures out it's too hard to grab my psp from my pocket then run. Then he lets go, says sorry and walks away. weird... i was too shock to do anything. i was "half robbed" then apologized to...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
I feel very sorry for you right now :oops: :cry: . Group hug. :D :) 8-) :wink: Well I hope you know what to do and not to do in cases like these. I won't typed them out because It'll sound to demanding. Well I hoped you learned a valueable lesson today. Sorry about that.

BTW When you get back up on your feet I would like to buy magics from you if thats ok to do because I just think you need sometime to recover and get better situated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
I feel very sorry for you right now :oops: :cry: . Group hug. :D :) 8-) :wink: Well I hope you know what to do and not to do in cases like these. I won't typed them out because It'll sound to demanding. Well I hoped you learned a valueable lesson today. Sorry about that.

BTW When you get back up on your feet I would like to buy magics from you if thats ok to do because I just think you need sometime to recover and get better situated.

Jin H Kim wrote:
Good thing I'm not a religious man because I most definitely do believe in wrath.


I would tell you what I'd do but I don't want to get the wrong impression of me so please don't ask. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Shanghai,China
it is a very bad news

_________________
[Signature deleted]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:08 am
Location: Scotland, UK
I once had £10 ~($17) stolen from right out of my hands while handing the note to my friend. I followed the gang who did it (3 guys and a girl), trying to reason with them (shoulda known better than to waste my breath!) and ended up being beaten to the ground and kicked. I filed a poilce report but nothing came of it. :(
Some people make you lose all faith in humanity. Thank god for animals! :)
And cubes, of course...

_________________
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. And If your fears are in the way, kick 'em in the nuts. That'll learn 'em!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
I really appreciate your support guys. And it is true that we must be positive and not try to think of things that cannot be changed.

We must have our mind always clear, to plan for the future steps! :)
(a clear mind is also needed to solve puzzles!!!)

Thank you also for sharing your stories, some of which were violent incidents, and was sad to know that there exist people who are worse than animals (sad but true...).

:)


Peter

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Columbus, OH
Quote:
God doesn't put anything before you that you cannot handle my friend.


tell that to my friend that committed suicide.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
When I was 13 and in UK for an English course, someone stole my wallet with I think 35 pounds. That was a lot of money for me back then. I should've bought that 5x5 at Village Games a few days earlier (I had thought it's too expensive). Got my first 5x5 around 12 years later.

kastellorizo wrote:
sad to know that there exist people who are worse than animals


I meet many of them every day. The ones called "smokers". I wish it was legal to shoot them.


Last edited by away on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 1999 3:02 am
Location: Canada
StefanPochmann wrote:
I meet many of them every day. The ones called "smokers". I wish it was legal to shoot them.


Now Stephan, play nice. :) Can't say I blame you, though... I've often had that thought myself... or to have them in a room with no oxygen for 5 minutes, or to duct tape their mouths to a running car exhaust for half an hour, to give them a sense of what it's like for non-smokers... Quite frankly, if they want to poison themselves or give themselves cancer, OK, but when they try to inflict it on me, that's where I draw the line. So many times I was tempted to go up to a smoker whose noxious fumes I involuntarily just breathed in, grab whatever they were smoking, extinguish it against their head and say "thank you for not smoking". Never got up the nerve to do it, though... yet. Besides, if I did that, I'D probably be the one sued for assault. :? Before anyone here yells "hipocracy!", for the record I don't own a car and don't drive. I'm not going to, either, until they come out with one fully powered by alternative fuels (eg. water, compressed air, etc). L8r.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Arvada, CO
StefanPochmann wrote:
I meet many of them every day. The ones called "smokers". I wish it was legal to shoot them.


Get bent Stefan. Besides I thought you hated guns. I guess you could shoot smokers with a camera.

_________________
"It's like an alarm clock, WOO WOO" -Bubb Rubb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
skeneegee wrote:
Get bent Stefan.


You guys in North America, shut up. Smoke-wise you live in heaven. I know because I lived in Canada for 10 months and it was unbelievable and from shorter visits to USA I think it's similar there. But do you know how it is in Germany? Smokers everywhere. I can't eat in restaurants, I can't go out with friends. I can't even sit in the park or walk through the city without them harassing me. And then they say "oh, just don't go where smokers are". Great idea, thanks for imprisoning me. I guess the Nazis weren't all that bad, why didn't the Jews simply stay away from them? Right?

Smoking is rape !

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: smoking
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
StefanPochmann wrote:
skeneegee wrote:
Get bent Stefan.


You guys in North America, shut up. Smoke-wise you live in heaven. I know because I lived in Canada for 10 months and it was unbelievable and from shorter visits to USA I think it's similar there. But do you know how it is in Germany? Smokers everywhere. I can't eat in restaurants, I can't go out with friends. I can't even sit in the park or walk through the city without them harassing me. And then they say "oh, just don't go where smokers are". Great idea, thanks for imprisoning me. I guess the Nazis weren't all that bad, why didn't the Jews simply stay away from them? Right?

Smoking is rape !

.


Why not start a chain of non-smoking restaurants? Advertise as "Not only do we have good food, but you can actually taste it!"

And don't forget non-smoking bars, markets and coffeehouses.

Warning: terrible crosscultural pun ahead.
How about a disco: "Aire Uvulair" where you can "breathe free and roll your arse as much as you want!"

Cheers,

David J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
StefanPochmann wrote:
You guys in North America, shut up. Smoke-wise you live in heaven. I know because I lived in Canada for 10 months and it was unbelievable and from shorter visits to USA I think it's similar there. But do you know how it is in Germany? Smokers everywhere. I can't eat in restaurants, I can't go out with friends. I can't even sit in the park or walk through the city without them harassing me. And then they say "oh, just don't go where smokers are". Great idea, thanks for imprisoning me. I guess the Nazis weren't all that bad, why didn't the Jews simply stay away from them? Right?

Smoking is rape !

.



In Greece it is even worse, if you don't actually smoke you are considered not cool...! :shock:

Here in Australia, things are much much better. And although distances are very long, I still have managed to cope all these years without a car and use a bicycle instead (I cycle 20km a day).
While cycling at the special paths is nice, going out on the road is terrible, as I must suffer from all those car exhaust pipes... *cough* *cough*. :roll:
(The fact that I grew up in a small island (of 150 people) that has no cars is absolutely coincidental...! :P)

But I do see where everyone is coming from. Still, I totally agree with Stefan and I believe that environmental safe vehicles (bicycles, solar energy cars) and non-smoking is the only way to go. :)



Peter

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:08 am
Location: Scotland, UK
StefanPochmann wrote:
Smoking is rape !


Okay, as an ex-smoker, and as a friend of a rape-victim, I have to say that this is going a bit too far. I never smoked in front of anyone who wasn't also a smoker, and I regret every cigarette I ever had.
To compare smoking to the most vicious and brutal act any one human being can commit upon another (apart from child abuse) is something I find a bit confusing. Are you comparing me to a rapist? I'm sure my friend would disagree. I'll be sure to ask her (she is also an ex-smoker).

_________________
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. And If your fears are in the way, kick 'em in the nuts. That'll learn 'em!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 1999 3:02 am
Location: Canada
aphid_greene wrote:
StefanPochmann wrote:
Smoking is rape !


Okay, as an ex-smoker, and as a friend of a rape-victim, I have to say that this is going a bit too far. I never smoked in front of anyone who wasn't also a smoker, and I regret every cigarette I ever had.
To compare smoking to the most vicious and brutal act any one human being can commit upon another (apart from child abuse) is something I find a bit confusing. Are you comparing me to a rapist? I'm sure my friend would disagree. I'll be sure to ask her (she is also an ex-smoker).


As someone who barely avoided being raped myself about 20 years ago, and also as someone who was threatened with rape just 2 weeks ago, I can see both your point and Stefan's. As for your friend, she may not be the best one to ask. People who do things which people see as wrong, all the way up to being outright evil, are always able to justify their actions, whether they be past, present or future. Hitler rounded up the Jews because he saw them as "the killers of God" and the reason why Germany was going into financial, and what he saw as a moral, decline. He invaded Poland because he "needed room to maneuver". Perhaps the most evil leader in the world today, George W. Bush, aka leader of the Fourth Reich, or at the very least the New McCarthyism, sees himself as a champion of freedom and democracy, and has his own reasons for doing what he's doing. Perhaps the most honest reason ever given for why he went after Saddam: "He tried to kill my dad". Now as far as justifications go, I think that's one that everyone here could relate to. In terms of importance, family ranks up there pretty high, I'd think. As for Stefan's comment, rape may be going a little far. I think assault would be a more appropriate analogy. As for your friend, aphid, you'd probably get a more meaningful response from any friends who were raped, and who were NEVER smokers. L8r.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Arvada, CO
Tim Browne wrote:

Perhaps the most evil leader in the world today, George W. Bush,


You are completely out of your mind Tim. How can you even say such a terrible thing about someone who is determined to protect my life, family, and country.

Have you forgotten about Kim Jong Il who would rather try to develop nuclear missiles than give his people a good quality of life. He rejects every incentive package offered to the DPRK and seems to only want to start trouble with everyone.

Mahmud Admenijan (sp?) the Iranian president who is really just a figure head takes his orders from the Sheite Mullahs who excuse me if I offend anyone are simply Opium addicted war mongers. Iran funds Hezbollah heavily and probably has something to do with the huge mess in poor little Lebannon right now.

Oh yeah Cubans are still starving en masse....


The mess in the middle east is not the fault of W or even the United States. We were dragged into it in WW1 and when Israel dessimated the impending invading forces of the 1967 middle east war in six days, Egypt said that Israel couldn't have done it alone and accused the UK and USA of helping out despite not having evidence(because there is none). But I guess it's still in Egyptian(and who knows where else) history books that US and UK helped Israel. It's no surprise that so many of them hate us and will kill themselves just to try to take YOU or someone you love with them.

You should be thankful that the battles are happening over there and not over here. I'm glad he didn't just sit on his hands waiting for more attacks on US soil, he took the battle over to them.

Can't you find an anti-American forum to post your garbage on? Seriously.

-mike grimsley

_________________
"It's like an alarm clock, WOO WOO" -Bubb Rubb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 1999 3:02 am
Location: Canada
skeneegee wrote:
You are completely out of your mind Tim. How can you even say such a terrible thing about someone who is determined to protect my life, family, and country.

Have you forgotten about Kim Jong Il who would rather try to develop nuclear missiles than give his people a good quality of life. He rejects every incentive package offered to the DPRK and seems to only want to start trouble with everyone.


vs. the US, who already has them, has for decades, with a current president who's gone on record saying that he's willing to use them if he feels it necessary.

skeneegee wrote:
Oh yeah Cubans are still starving en masse....


Throuh no fault of US government imposed sanctions, of course.

skeneegee wrote:
But I guess it's still in Egyptian(and who knows where else) history books that US and UK helped Israel. It's no surprise that so many of them hate us and will kill themselves just to try to take YOU or someone you love with them.


Have you seen the documentary "Palestine is Still the Issue" by Michael Pilger? If not, I'd sugest it. It's definitely worth checking out.

skeneegee wrote:
You should be thankful that the battles are happening over there and not over here. I'm glad he didn't just sit on his hands waiting for more attacks on US soil, he took the battle over to them.

Can't you find an anti-American forum to post your garbage on? Seriously.


I think you misunderstand me. I'm not anti-American. As a whole, I like Americans. Most of them are just your average joe trying to get by. It's the current leader that I have a problem with. To paraphrase John J. Sheridan, there's a big difference between a population and it's leader, as well as a position and the person in it. L8r.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Arvada, CO
This isn't the place to argue your backward view of the world, nor to bash the current ELECTED government of the USA.

I don't know why you brought it up in the first place. You should use your powers for good and rustle me up a good popcorn ball recipe instead.

_________________
"It's like an alarm clock, WOO WOO" -Bubb Rubb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: smoking
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
David J wrote:
Why not start a chain of non-smoking restaurants?


I would if I had the money. Well, there's Subway which I love a lot, they do have good food, a nice athmosphere and are officially smokefree. Though I boycott the one in the city I live because the boss smoked inside and an employee right outside the window so the smoke came inside. And I don't support smokers by buying from them. I also don't support smoke supporters anymore, that's why I don't buy at regular supermarkets. Everything that sells cigarettes etc is boycotted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
Politics :P :( ugh... lol

well, on that note, a song from one of my favorite bands Bad Religion -

We're Only Gonna Die

Early man walked away as modern man took control.
Their minds weren't all the same, to conquer was his big goal, so he built his great empire and slaughtered his own kind, then he died a confused man, killed himself with his own mind.

Go!

We're only gonna die from our own arrogance.

-------------------
Don't matter who's the worst, who's the strongest. What's going to kill humankind are HUMANS themselves.
There has never been a more destructive force than US (us not U.S.) Evolution STOPPED because of humans lol (ok, maybe not stopped, but sure has slowed it down) We're killing off LIFE. and anything we do to stop it, isn't, but prolonging DEATH.


sorry, not morbid or anything. just simple ironic twist to Humans lol...

so, now back to the important issues. PUZZLES!!! YAY!!!

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
aphid_greene wrote:
Are you comparing me to a rapist?


If you're a smoker, then I don't compare you to a rapist, I say you are one. I guess as the offender you just can't understand the victim's perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
I am not trying to provoke argument, but smoking is physical damage, it is killing smokers and non-smokers everyday, smoking may aswell be rape, it is actually probably doing more damage than rape. I personally despise smokers, actually, I find them funny, the fact they are throwing 13 minutes of their life away per cigarette.

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: smoking
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
StefanPochmann wrote:
David J wrote:
Why not start a chain of non-smoking restaurants?


I would if I had the money. Well, there's Subway which I love a lot, they do have good food, a nice athmosphere and are officially smokefree. Though I boycott the one in the city I live because the boss smoked inside and an employee right outside the window so the smoke came inside. And I don't support smokers by buying from them. I also don't support smoke supporters anymore, that's why I don't buy at regular supermarkets. Everything that sells cigarettes etc is boycotted.


If you don't have the money you might find backers.

I think you need to make a distinction between smokers who take care not to smoke around non-smokers, and those smokers who don't take that care. While you have a legitimate gripe against the rude ones, your gripe doesn't apply to the others who aren't rude in that manner.

Cheers,

David J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
R.E.T. wrote:
I do believe that non smokers deserve clean air though, but to compare these two seems a bit insane. I believe a room full of smoke is equal to pollution, or litter.


First of all, read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape%5F%28word%29

The sexual and the smoking variations are just different manifestations of the same crime.

You obviously have no clue how it makes me feel when smokers harass, bully and abuse me day in day out, so shut the .... up. How can you dare to play something down you don't understand? And how can you dare to pretty much make fun of me being tormented?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: smoking
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
David J wrote:
I think you need to make a distinction between smokers who take care not to smoke around non-smokers, and those smokers who don't take that care.


I do. But the former group is too small to be really worth mentioning. Anybody who ever smokes in public, e.g. restaurants, park, street, etc belongs to the latter group. And at least in Germany I claim that's almost all of them. While living in Vancouver for ten months I remember only one incident where I was bothered by smokers and that was at some underground billard room. I can live with that, I don't have to go there. But in Germany it's everywhere, meaning my freedom is severely limited while the criminals suppressing me are having fun at my expense. I can't even open the window of my sleeping room without people smoking nearby so their smoke enters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
Pembo wrote:
I personally despise smokers, actually, I find them funny, the fact they are throwing 13 minutes of their life away per cigarette.


So how much are they throughing away second hand smokers life? Always wondered!!!!!!! :evil: I think we should gather them all up an put them on a island and then they can live out the rest of there pathetic little lives. Jack up the prices for the cigarettes on the island. What we do with that money for the USA is pay off our National Debt. Then never make cigarette again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
Oh, forgot to mention the school trip a while ago where most of my classmates smoked me most of the week since we stayed in the same small house. Got as sick as never before or after, including two circulatory collapses. Even got an ambulance to examine me. Now if that's not a story the smokers can have fun with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
R.E.T. wrote:
The word Rape meaning to take away, but the difference is in what is being taken away.


With that meaning I'd say my freedom and dignity are taken away. Also, (maybe because of the German word Vergewaltigung which has a more "readable" meaning) for me it's the aspect of being humiliated, bullied, harassed, abused, that kind of meaning. And if you don't understand these feelings that I *do* have, then you just don't understand and have no right to tell me it's not bad. Again, you're making fun of me when I'm already being tormented. And not even just by a single person, but by a whole society that allows and supports it.

Quote:
Maybe if you were raped you'd understand the difference.


I am every day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
R.E.T. wrote:
If your looking for sympothy, your not getting it from me.


That was not the purpose. Purpose was to say the damage is real and effective right now (I'm not even complaining about some cancer I might get in 50 years) and that the bastards are committing a crime and this should be stopped.

Quote:
I'm not sure I even believe that story.


If it weren't true I wouldn't tell it.

Quote:
If the story could be true then that's probably life's little way of getting even with the jerks of the world.


That's your synonym for "victim"? Ok, let's call the Jews in Nazi Germany, the Blacks (particularly in earlier USA), the sexually raped people who speak up against the injustice, let's call them all jerks. Cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
R.E.T. wrote:
I'm not making fun of you


But that's what it feels like to me. Again, you obviously don't understand the victim's perspective.

Quote:
, if it's too hard for you to cope with this smokey world then kill yourself, that's what some rape victims do.


Yeah, that's not making fun of me. And a brilliant solution to the injustice. Anyway, I'm out now. No use talking with people without a clue of the issue and not capable or willing to even try to understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group