Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old El Paso burrito cooking sauce
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:50 am 

I am told this sauce is available in the UK but for the past year I have been unable to find any. Does anyone know of somewhere that sells it and would you be willing to post me some? Obviously I'd cover all expenses. It comes in 475g yellow jars. I know there are similar products (In Holland and Australia for example) but I am only interested in this exact product. There are some mail order internet companies but so far none have been usefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:12 am 

Tony,

As a fellow burrito lover I can understand how you feel. I'll surely try to find some for you at the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:37 pm 

Try here

There's an australian site that has it here

I know the first site says fajita but maybe that site can get it. The second site calls it simmer sauce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:12 pm 

Thanks for your incredibly fast responses. The first "here" is very typical. It has a wide range of "Old El Paso" products but mine is mysteriously missing. The maker insists it is still available but I have my doubts. I don't think the Australian company ships overseas plus these similar products often turn out completely different. I got one in Holland and it was like cat food. (not that I've tried cat food). There is one German company that apparantly has it but their site isn't secure and they only take credit cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:45 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
There is one German company that apparantly has it but their site isn't secure and they only take credit cards.

Tony, most of the time they are able to take your order over the phone when you don't trust their web site ordering system (which is a safe thing to do in your case as the ordering does not go through a secure connection). As for credit cards, I suppose you don't have one? Lots of check cards linked to your checking accounts have a Visa logo now, and can be used in place of a credit card, with the difference that the money are debited from your checking account at the time of purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:47 pm 

Also, some credit cards offer to ability to create a one-time use number. Check your credit card's website to see if this feature is available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 am 

I do have a credit card and I've just checked there is a phone num for the German site so I'll try that. When I first posted I was kind of hoping someone in another part of the UK would say, "yeh,We have loads in shops here". In 23 mins I'm off on a short holiday so thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:53 am 

If I get a sample of it, I could probably reverse engineer it if I had the time. It sounds like it must be a pretty good product. Really there isn't all that much to burrito sauces, water/vinegar, tomato sauce/paste, chili spices, salt, onion, garlic, maybe some xanthan gum and potassium sorbate

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 am 

Darryl, how do you reverse engineer it? There is a hot sauce here made by a local etnic restarant here in DC area. It's the only restaurant, not a chain. The sauce is mild when you taste is, but gets hot in several seconds. I love the sauce, and would love to reverse engineer it, but I have no idea how to go about it that is not too time consuming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:47 pm 

I'm a food scientist by trade, so I often have to match products. If the restaurant isn't a chain, simply asking your server may give you info on how they make it. Most hot sauces do build heat over time.

I know a lot of times restaurants will make something from scratch and it becomes a pain and they go to places like where i work and ask us to make something as close as possible to it, or a mix where they just add water or tomatoes or something.

If I wasn't in the process of moving and had more time on my hands, I could try to whip something up and post a recipe although some of the ingredients wouldn't be readily available at the local grocery store.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:21 pm 

Hi every body
Is it just me or are there others out there who are a bit sad to find that the wonderful Mr Tony Fisher is just a mere mortal like ourselves. He even eats normal food. Mind you he is a very lucky man to be an archaeologist (see his profile).

Tell us more about your fantastic job Tony??

Now we can actually contact easily it would be nice to find out more about you.

Best wishes
Nubnuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:52 am 

I got the sauce at last!
What can I say about my "fantastic job"? Sorry to dissapoint but 99.9% of it is not at all fantastic. Things that come to mind are cold, windy, wet, mind numbingly boring, body destroying, noisy, muddy.
0.1% of the time it's very interesting. I worked on an Anglo Saxon cemetary on the USAF base at Lakenheath a few years ago. We excavated numerous graves with swords, spears, shields, beads, brooches etc. One was buried with his horse! Everything had been carefully placed and there was even a sheep for food. The picture is an Iron age pottery kiln we found a few weeks ago. It had been filled in with dirt and was about 80cm under the surface of a field a few miles from where I live. Like I say this is 0.1% of the job. To be honest I was never really into this kind of thing. Sure I was interested in the pyramids but they are a million miles away from what I do. Why do it then? When I left school there wasn't much work around and this Government scheme came along which I went on. This lead to a full time job offer and the rest as they say is history. I have improved things a little recently by cutting my week to 4 days and not working in January. I use this time to make puzzles which is why I have to charge a realistic price for them. I would love to do puzzles full time but they are too expensive for most people so I wouldn't sell enough.

Attachments:
picture165.JPG
picture165.JPG [ 181.83 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:54 am 

Thanks Tony
I cannot believe it is as boring as you say but I can understand that you get more pleasure out of your puzzles. Maybe you should go for it fulltime anyway. You only live once!!

I am glad you got hold of your sauce (so to speak).

Have you found any prehistoric puzzles?

Nubnuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:08 pm 

The best archaeology / puzzle tie up I can do is a set of Rubik's Cube stickers Geert Hellings gave me a few years ago. Each face depicted different archaeological activities- trowling, digging, planning etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:13 am 

Tony
Why dont you try and combine your hobby with your work. Produce an archaeological related puzzle based on the shape of the Myan temples or I suppose the pyrimids would be too easy?

You could call it 'Tony Fisher and the Temple of Doom'

best wishes

Nubnuts

Post subject: Movie suggestion
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:23 pm 

Hey Tony,

May I suggest "Raiders of the Lost Cube"

I heard that Rubik's original cube prototype http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/rubik%27s.htm
was stolen.

David J

Post subject: Re: Movie suggestion
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:28 pm 

David J wrote:
I heard that Rubik's original cube prototype http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/rubik%27s.htm
was stolen.

I don't think so, Dan Gosbee told me that Erno keeps the prototype in a massive vault in his home and that Dan saw it with his own eyes. I guess it comes down to if you believe him or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:37 pm 

Tony, maybe for your next puzzle project you should create an exact replica of the original 3x3 prototype. How good are your skills at whittling? :wink:

Post subject: Re: Movie suggestion
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:05 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
David J wrote:
was stolen.

I don't think so, Dan Gosbee told me that Erno keeps the prototype in a massive vault in his home and that Dan saw it with his own eyes. I guess it comes down to if you believe him or not.

Good news, if true.

The "I heard" means I don't know. Actually it should be "I read" :)

See:

http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/pages/Ru ... ermany.htm
Toward the bottom of the page, Ton wrote,

> The firts prototype was made in 1975, I have this picture. My last information is that this cube was stolen from Erno Rubik after one of his presentation <

I don't "believe" one way or the other.

Thanks for the info.

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:03 pm 

It's funny you should say that Sean but I have thought about making a replica. The question is, do I try to make a genuine wooden copy or use a normal cube centre and build wood onto this? ( this would be much simpler ). To be honest I don't plan on attempting this in the near future but maybe one day. BTW isn't this getting a bit off off topic?