Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Internet Access at Home
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:11 pm 

I wonder, just how much do you guys pay for Internet access at home? I think here in the UK we may be rather expensive.
I have been paying £15.99 ($29) per month for unlimited dial-up access (56k) through AOL but have now switched to a 1MB Broadband connection at £17.99 ($34) with a 20GB monthly download limit. How does this compare?

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:26 pm 

Based solely on the price difference between your two options, you are definitely getting ripped off. Pay the extra £2 for the 1MB broadband. It's definitely worth it since you're already paying 88% of the price anyhow. I can't even imagine being on a dial up anymore. Once you switch, you will never go back... certainly not for a mere £2 savings per month.

Your dial-up costs seem very expensive. I'd expect the cost to be about half that, although I would really know as I've been on broadband for six or seven years now. Given this high price and the small price difference between the two plans, it's almost as though they're forcing you into the broadband plan. $34 USD for 1MB broadband sounds pretty decent. I pay around $40 USD for 1MB with unlimited downloads.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:51 pm 

Here in Long Island NY, we have Cable connection for $49.95/mo. ($5 discount if you have one of their packages, which I do). But its been voted #1 in reliability and service by PC Magazine.

Still too expensive I think
Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:55 pm 

Broadband access at home is relatively new in the UK and is still not available in many areas, especially villages. The majority of folks are still on dial-up.
AOL remains a large player as an ISP here and the price for Broadband from AOL is £17.99 ($33) for 256k, £24.99 ($47) for 512k and £29.99 ($56) for 1M!
I have opted for a smaller player offering 1M for £17.99 ($33) but now have to wait 10 days for my line to be enabled etc. Still, as you say, it's got to be worth it!!
How do other countries compare?
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:40 pm 

I feel guilty...
My mobile and broadband are payed by the company as long as I can recover the systems if they crash!
Alternatively I will grab my Russian passport an be off on the first plane! :)
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:17 pm 

I have comcast highspeed cable. I know from experience (at least in the chicago area) that cable is sooo much faster than DSL, regardless of what the DSL salespeople tell you. My download speed typically maxes out at just under one mega_byte_ (8 mega_bits) per second. I know comcast says it's only 4 megabit, but I consistantly get better speeds than that. With the 1.5 megabit DSL I had, I was lucky to get the 80 kilo_bytes_ per second. As soon as my DSL contract was up, I switched, and dropped my land phone line and exclusively use my cell phone, which is another bonus.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:19 am 

Reviving an old topic...

In my home town in Russia (of more than 600000 people) dialup costs a bit more than a dollar per hour. 128/64 Kbps DSL line costs $60 a month for up to 1Gb of incoming traffic. If you download more, you pay dearly. Installation costs are about $150.

--
Aleksey