Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waking Life, opinions please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:34 pm 

Hi all,

Just saw an interesting movie the other day on the recommendation of a friend. Its called Waking Life and I was wondering how many here saw it and what your take is on it. Personally I got a headache visually but really like the content. The movie is animated you could say. Its very unique in that it was shot in regular video style and then animated in a way that I've never seen before. It takes time to adjust to everything shaking and moving. The whole movie is supposed to be a dream and it is a collection of essays or opinions by several individuals about life, dreams, population, future, love, etc. I would recommend it for the experience but I would imagine that many people would find it boring, I did for parts of it.

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:13 pm 

This is a film I own and I find it to be enlightening and entertaining. It is a film I would suggest viewing more than once, as every time it is viewed something more comes of it. I have seen it almost half a dozen times and I always find something new. The idea that our own lives could very well be a dream is intriguing. The main character of the film constantly wakes up from a previous dream to find that his current state is a dream as well, but not without learning something interesting and important from another character.
One of the things that drew me to this film was something I read in an essay's book about my all time favorite movie "the Matrix". The idea is similar, as in the Matrix, Neo is unsure whether life is real or if he's "dreaming". The same carries through in this film, and to our own lives as well. Are we dreaming right now? When we wake up, will we actually be awake? There is a lot to learn from the lessons each character tells about the philosophy of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:24 pm 

Gabe,

I saw this movie last week, based on your recommendation. I really liked it! It is true that at times it is a little heavy, with all the philosophical conversations... but still the topics are very interesting.

I also liked the way they did the animation. Never seen something like it.

Regarding the movie's actual message... to me it resonated more with the topics of what life-after-death could be like, or with those "out of body" experiences that some people report they've experienced. Of course, another possible interpretation is that these are nothing other than some kind of "altered states of conciousness".

Either way, I considered it a very very interesting movie.

Regards,
Jorge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:14 pm 

Sean,
I am thinking of buying the dvd since I find myself thinking about this movie all too much. I can see myself watching parts of it here and there. I am a big believer that our brain can manipulate how we perceive the world. You can see that in people with mental disorders that truly believe in things the we "normal" people would consider rediculous. Just yesterday I was having this conversation with a patient (I am an Optometrist and people mistake me sometimes for a psychologist lol) and he proceeded to tell about things that occured to him that at first I believed because he was so sincere about it until it became sureal. Anyway, the short of it is that the "real" world is perceived differently by different people. Are we all in a dream? To a certain extent, yes. Thats what a reality check is all about. Ever have that? You go along thinking one thing until a friend or relative lets you in on how others think about you or something you did and you feel like you were out of the loop. Your brain has pulled a veil over your eyes (to steal a line from The Matrix).

Jorge,
I'm glad you liked the movie. I was trying to solicit opinions about it more than recommend it since it is a weird movie to recommend but I can see how it would hit a chord with this forum, thinkers as we are (for the most part).

If anyone has other movies along this line that they would like to recommend please feel free.

gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:56 am 

I own this movie, and really love it. I am going to school for animation and that is part of the reason why i picked it up. I think the rotoscope was down beautifully and enjoyed the "breaking of the lines" where in normal rotoscope most people tend to copy line for line. It is one of my favorite animated films.

Has anyone seen Ghost in the shell, or Ghost in the shell 2? Both are brain crunchers.

have fun
jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:17 am 

Jake wrote:
Has anyone seen Ghost in the shell, or Ghost in the shell 2?

I have Ghost in the Shell on DVD. Best animation since Akira, and it has neat music too. I don't like the english dub though, so I always listen to the Japanese track, with subtitles.

P.S. My current favourite movie is Hero.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:49 am 

I couldn't stand Ghost in the Shell. A real good anime movie is Ninja Scroll. It's probably my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:21 pm 

Quote:
Has anyone seen Ghost in the shell, or Ghost in the shell 2?

You know, someone told me there was supposed to be a Ghost in the Shell 2 a long time ago but I never heard anything thereafter. I know they must have started a series because I saw a dvd with episodes on it, but still nothing about a sequel to the movie. Jake, how is the second movie compared to the first and what is the plot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:10 pm 

i thought the 2nd was to come out in theatres? i saw posters for it at mine, dont think it came out yet..

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69