Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hopefully I will find help concerning youtube
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 am 

So this topic is about another IT issue I am having with my system.
I recently moved to another town and for one week I haven't used youtube. Now I wanted to watch a video and following happens:

After 1 sec of the inital advertisement, the ad suddenly interrupts and ends. The video starts instantly. After another second of video, it interrupts too, giving me the message:
"An error occured. Please try again later. Learn more"
The "Learn more" button only gives usual comments such as updating player, deleting cookies, updating grafik driver...

Now I tried all that and following:

In some other forum someone suggested to set network settings in the browser to "no proxy". I don't know what it means but I thought, since I am using a different router in this new establishment it might have to do with some network settings.

Other important infos:

Internet Explorer and Firefox are having the same problem.
http://www.myvideo.de works with both players! It's only youtube that doesn't work.
EDIT: It also happens with youtube videos that are featured on other sides such as facebook or blogs.

Does anyone have a clue? I doubt that I will have to wait until later only. It happens with all videos. ... Ok with about 20 that I tried by now. That's enough evidence to assume for ALL. :lol:

One thought that came to my mind was that some new browser or network settings block the ads and youtube blocks me for doing so. However on myvideo there's a whole lot of ads too. There nothing is interrupted.

Thanks to all who want to participate in this discussion. This is the only forum I don't only come across to read when searching for info.

Post subject: Re: Hopefully I will find help concerning youtube
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:20 am 

What version of Firefox are you running? If an older version, I would recommend upgrading to at least version 24. I would also recommend ditching flash to force loading of the HTML5 player, but that's mainly due to me having no way of interacting with Flash objects. I've had AdBlock Plus installed for years and never had an Ad play in a YouTube video(though that might just be due to having never played any videos with ads).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 am 

I am running the latest version of firefox. I wonder if that is the reason. However as I said it happens with the IE as well.

something else:

Attachment:
youtube screenshot.jpg
youtube screenshot.jpg [ 246.7 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

Even the little preview thingy that will run automatically does not work, but my cellphone that is connected via WLAN does play youtube videos.

It must be my computer system. But Program independent. Isn't that odd?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm 

Hey Jefferey thanks alot.
I hesitated first, hence my seccond post but I know "switched" to html5 player and youtube works again.
My hesitation was based on the fact that a quick research gave some CHIP download link that had bad reviews. However I only had to literally switch the player on via some site. At least it seems.