Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CorelDraw help!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:57 pm 

I'm trying to draw a simple partial circle in CorelDraw. I'm using an old version (Essentials 2 - Came free with some tax software - says 2003 on the case). The problem is that it keeps on creating a sort of opposite curve when I try to extend the circle by portions of degrees at a high zoom. It's for laser-cutting, so I need it to be very accurate:

Attachment:
CorelProblem.jpg
CorelProblem.jpg [ 190.41 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

The second problem (though I have a work-around) is that I have some measurements that are more precise than CorelDraw, and the rounding sometimes doesn't work very well. As a result, I prefer to zoom in and manually extend the line to match up with others so that I can have them intersect as an object. When I do this, I usually have to extend the line at both ends, so to save trouble, I just scroll up. The issue is that at high zooms, this takes a lot of scroll. For some reason, if I don't restore zoom to 100%, the entire drawing will mysteriously vanish. I can still select objects (lines), but they don't show up on the screen except for the normal bounding dots.

Any thoughts?

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: CorelDraw help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 am 

Hi,

I use a much newer version of Corell Draw (X5), but I think the basics are the same.
Try to draw a full circle in the proper size. Right click, and convert it to curve. Than brake it apart (I have a tool for it, but in older versions, it may need to do it manually, by choosing each nodes, and click on something like "split node"...) , and after it delete the useless parts.

Kind regards,
Olivér

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

Post subject: Re: CorelDraw help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:59 pm 

I aslo use CorelDraw at the TechShop and my recollection is similar: The main point is to get the circle you want, then convert to a curve. At that point I believe the "point" tool allows you to double click on the curve anywhere to add your own points and you can split them and delete what you want.

I do a lot of work with the boolean operations as well, merging, subtracting adding etc.

Dave