Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Presenting Linux Distros to a student at school
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:46 pm 

So in my (hopefully) last year of High School, I have suddenly been presented with an interesting opportunity. While using my laptop today, a fellow classmate asked a question which I then answered as he was watching me use Ubuntu. He asked what OS this was. I proceeded to explain what it was, and the main differences between Windows and Mac OS X.

This seems to have sparked interest in him, and he asked what he could do with his old laptop that won't work anymore. (he didn't tell me why, but he was curious about the whole Linux idea) I explained that the choices are vast and although general use is an option, there are disadvantages. Like running .exe files under wine doesn't always work, file types that work with certain distros and not with others, etc. So I then asked the main question, "What are you looking to use it for?" He doesn't seem to know what he will use it for, or if he will use it at all.

So I decided to take some Distros (8 actually) and show what things are different, and what are similar. The main thing I'm looking for is what would suit him best. I don't know much about him, but maybe presenting the pros and cons of each Distro would be best? He is more used to Windows, but that's about all I know.

The Distros are as follows:
Ubuntu (Unity-12.04 most-likely)
Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon Environment)
PCLinuxOS (KDE)
Sabayon (GNOME)
Pinguy OS (shell? -It isn't clear why it says shell on the .iso file name)
uberstudent 3.0 (xfce)
MEPIS
Netrunner

(I was going to show Backtrack, but I don't need anyone getting the wrong ideas.)

So my questions to you all is, "How am I to present these? Sould I use Live USB/CD/DVD? Or would virtualbox work best?" And Arch was considered, but I'd need a solid way to show how that differs from everything else.

And there isn't too big of a rush, but the student graduates in January, so it may be hard later in this year.

And are there any recommendations to showing other Distros? I'd like to know what ones you would like me to show and discuss with him.

P.S.- I have an external Hard Drive that can house all those as live a single live usb and the program I'm using to get them onto it is Y.U.M.I. (Multiboot) And space isn't that scarce either (500GB)

Post subject: Re: Presenting Linux Distros to a student at school
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:13 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
I cant give advice on how to present but if you can make a video of it (probably would need to use virtual box) then I'd be very interested in seeing your presentation.

Having fooled around with Red Hat in 1996 I dropped the idea because it was so unusable as a home environment back then but now I don't have any specific needs but would love to play again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 am 

Definitely a classic use case for virtualization. It will take a lot of drive space but you can most easily flip between them all that way.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm 

:( Disappointed at the lack of archlinux.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm 

theVDude wrote:
:( Disappointed at the lack of archlinux.

Distros are just a means to an end. I'd rather see the general ideas behind open source and software freedom presented and then show some examples of various common OSS packages.

The best distros are the ones that get out of your way and enable you to make your computer run the software you want the way you want. Showing somebody every flavor of distro under the sun sounds like the wrong approach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:56 pm 

If he's new and coming from Windows, my recommendation is Ubuntu with GNOME. The interface is more familiar (and more usable, for me), and Ubuntu is good for new users.