Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good, Inexpensive, Lightake Tablet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm 

My Sansa Fuze Mp3 Player finally bit the dust.. So, I'm considering replacing it with a 7'' tablet that is just $10 more; it has twice the memory capacity, internet, etc; it's called the "ICOO D70PRO II" Here's a link:

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.ICOO_ ... hite-59323

Since many cubers buy puzzles from Lightake, I thought yall might have bought a tablet there too. Here's the 7'' tablets Lightake has.

http://lightake.com/products.do/categor ... let_PC-719

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubikscuber1

Post subject: Re: Good, Inexpensive, Lightake Tablet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm 

I don't get why all tablets have such rubbish memory. Why don't they build them with 3 tf cards inside and sell them as 100GB? Until they have a decent OS and memory I am not going near them. By now they should be as good as my old Samsung netbook I would have thought.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm 

If you're going to buy a tablet, I would advise not going the cheap route, you will most likely regret it in the future. If I were in your position I would probably wait a bit longer and buy a Nexus 7.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I don't get why all tablets have such rubbish memory. Why don't they build them with 3 tf cards inside and sell them as 100GB? Until they have a decent OS and memory I am not going near them. By now they should be as good as my old Samsung netbook I would have thought.

You're using the term memory wrong. Memory is RAM. Storage / disk / hard drive space is what you mean.

There are a few inter-related reasons why both memory and storage is much lower in tablets than in laptops, netbooks, etc. Battery drain and heat generation, as well as space taken up. RAM (DRAM) takes a ton of power because the memory must constantly be refreshed to maintain contents. This drains battery fast and generates a lot of heat. Tablets don't have fans and must radiate that heat passively.

The same is true for storage except that it draws less power and generates less heat. Storage may also be limited a bit by physical space. A single 32 GB flash chip requires a lot of PCB real estate for traces beyond just what the chip takes up. Two or three and the device might become space constrained.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm 

Don't bother wasting your money.

Oh, and don't forget you may have to pay import taxes/fees when you receive it.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm 

Simpson's fans in the 80s might remember the episode where they go to buy a new TV. The shop was full of makes like "Sorny" and "Panaphonics".

These tablets remind me of that episode. :lol:

I'm amazed they aren't made by "Samsing", "Ah-pel" or "Gugol". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm 

You get what you pay for here. A nice cheap tablet at an inflated price (for me anyway)
I got something similar for bug and it's great for a kid but this Christmas she's got a better one on the way. If you want it for just reading books these are ok. But for much more-even the kid was disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
[
You're using the term memory wrong. Memory is RAM. Storage / disk / hard drive space is what you mean.
It's still memory. Just a different type.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 pm 

Here's my take on tablets. They're a novel idea and have potential to be a great thing... if they would put decent internals in them. Getting to the specs...

CPU: 1.6 GHz Dual Core
This is a nice cpu for a device like this, and has all you need in it to do all of your basic things without any hitches. I wouldn't recommend 3D games on this, as the internal graphics processing on the particular processor isn't too great.

Good solid OS for a tablet. Simple, easy to navigate, not too stressful... this system can easily handle it.

RAM: 1GB DDR3
This isn't enough ram to do basically anything past what you would do on an android smart phone. In fact, its the same amount and specific type my phone has. There needs to be at least 3GB to make a decent tablet.

ROM: 8GB Nand Flash
This is the entire storage capability of this tablet, and its on the same type of chip used in USB Thumb Drives. Even my phone has 16GB memory before allowing a micro SD card that can hold an extra 32GB. The developers are insane for only putting 8GB Nand in this device.

Screen: 7" LED screen @ 1024x600 resolution
This is such a low resolution that it's ridiculous. The screen can't even show 720p at its native resolution, which isn't that impressive. Yeah its a touch screen... but not even 720px across? Again, ridiculous.

Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n
Has a wireless card in it that can hit basically any router being used today.

List of Extras:
Extend Card up to 32GB; Okay, so it allows you to have a decent storage size "if" you go buy another card

Front Camera @ 0.3MP; Not a good quality camera, and there's only one on the front.

Gravity Sensor; Allows you some extra controls for games on the android market. Otherwise, unneeded.

Multi-Touch up to 5 point; This is good to the point where it's almost excessive. You only really need up to possibly 3 points.

Flash support @ 11.1 ; Has current flash support, so this is a good thing.

Google Play built in; android app store... 'nuff said.

No Bluetooth; Can't use bluetooth devices, but seeing as its a tablet, this isn't too big of a hindrance.

Video up to 1080p; This is an outright lie on the specifications. You can put 1080p videos on it and play them... but they won't be in 1080p. That recquires a resolution of "1920x1080. This tablet as stated before has 1024x600, which isn't even enough for 720p. I am really not impressed that they have this listed in the specs.

Music (MP3/WMA/WAV/APE/AAC/FLAC/OGG); Supports a lot of types included in video game install files, iTunes, CDrips, etc... that you would otherwise need a converted file for. This is actually rather nice.

Ebook (UMD/TXT/PDF/HTML/RTF/FB2/etc...); Supports a lot of ebook types, so it has full capability for reading books.

Email/Browser Built In; Has that for use, mandatory on android devices. Although I recommend getting an aftermarket browser from the play store.

3G support on external dongle; So you can get 3G coverage if you pay for it from a 3rd party as well as find the dongle used for it. Extra money out of your pocket to use it... monthly.

One of my hobbies and passions is computer building and maintenance. I have seen a lot of hardware in my days, and repaired a lot of it... as well as have built many systems in my life. In my experience, the listing above is my personal take on the internals. Overall, I would say that you will NOT be happy with this tablet. You're going to be much better off looking for another one that's affordable. Some good brands to look up are ASUS and Archos.

I will end saying that I am not looking for an argument about putting down this tablet or that I have made wrong decisions on the parts, as this is my personal OPINION. I know that this is an inexpensive tablet and is basically dirt cheap... but you get what you pay for. Everyone here has bought a dollar store cube, and has felt it break when they turn it...

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 pm 

This my 1st posting on this forum so please be gentle with me!!!

I own 3 tablets, they are:

iPad 2 16gb wifi
Blackberry Playbook
Amazon Kindle Fire

If it was down to me, I would choose the Nexus 4, as it's good all rounder
You certainly don't want a resistive screen they are terrible and are usually on very low budget tablets.