Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Benrik - almost a cult?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 pm 

Have any of you guys heard of the Benrik cult? It started off with a diary called "This Diary Will Change Your Life", and then they have recently published two books (both of which I purchased for the laughs but then got sucked into their twisted way of thinking...). I thought that the people here would enjoy the style of the books and stuff. They're not inspirational or self-help or anything - more like an anti-consumerist society-bashing load of fun. Here's how it works: each day (each page of the book) has a task that a person has to do in order to change their life. These tasks are far from normal, however: today's, for example, was a 'warmup' wherein the reader is to insult an insect (I called a Peacock Spider a nincompoop). Another is to put 'out of order' sign in random public places, or to get someone's honest first opinion of you. The more extreme ones involve handcuffing yourself to a lamppost and remaining silent for a day or 'turning yourself in' to police but refusing to tell them what you've done. Their website (benrik.co.uk) has many (many) blogs from people who are attempting to change their lives through Benrik-ism, so I decided to join their ranks. I'm a rebel, though, so I use blogspot. I'm actually kind of terrified of some of their suggestions, so I do need a bit of help in the form of readership. People who read my blog will give me some accountability and a reason to go through with this wacky pre-new-year's resolution. The URL? http://changedbybenrik.blogspot.ca/ . The blog may or may not contain some puzzle stuff. Otherwise, it might be fun to check out their website because they have some humorous stuff.

Thanks All!

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Benrik - almost a cult?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm 

You failed your insult an insect task and if you are a rebel why are you following a set of ideas made up by others?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

I actually finally succeeded with that one, despite the fact that it wasn't my fault, but also didn't do so well with today's (sort of). My blog is getting less lame, but I'm really afraid of doing things that involve the government. And the Law. But when it comes to disrupting society, I'm your man (that's how I'm a 'rebel', I guess)! Then again, Tony, you may be right. I'm following instructions. But then again, by failing, I'm rebelling against the instructions :P . The blog is starting to get less lame, too. Keep an eye on it, maybe check in tomorrow, in a week, next month, etc. and things will get better. There may also be photos.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:52 am 

You failed because a spider isn't an insect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 am 

I'm going to go ahead and make a judgement based on a few minutes of web browsing and say that it all looks incredibly ridiculous, and the time wasted on this could be better spent actually trying to positively contribute to society.

But you know...what's my opinion worth anyway right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Hybrid424 wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and make a judgement based on a few minutes of web browsing and say that it all looks incredibly ridiculous, and the time wasted on this could be better spent actually trying to positively contribute to society.

But you know...what's my opinion worth anyway right?

I have to say I agree!
I've done more than my fair share of stupid things in my time (mostly involving alcohol!!) but insulting insects and offering to advise one of the armed forces what to do just seems pointless beyond words!!

Now we are all on this forum into puzzles which, to the general public, is a fairly pointless pastime. I justify it because it is keeping my brain going and more importantly keeping me and my friends entertained. But I just can't see what the point of this cult is? It's not even entertaining!!

Just my 2p or 2c worth! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm 

How observant - the point is that it's pointless :P (and ridiculous, too!). The way I contribute to society is by helping to challenge it en masse.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:07 am 

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm 

Okay guys, I promise that this one is really life-changing...

http://changedbybenrik.blogspot.ca/2012 ... enrik.html

doctor who wrote: