Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3D Monitors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm 

Ok...

I'm in the process if getting my new personal PC. I've got one on order but I haven't ordered a monitor yet. The video card in my new system is this one:

1GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 Graphics

And I'm very tempted to try a 3D capable monitor. The stuff I'd hope to be able to do with it are the following.

(1) Watch commercial 3D Blu-Ray movies. I've read some reviews that state there can be issues here due to the security features built into the Blu-Rays. See here. Not sure this is a real problem or not.

(2) Make my own 3D pictures and maybe even video. I've used POV-Ray to model many of the vehicles from TRON and I'd love to make a little 3D TRON short sometime.

(3) I'm also curious if programs like SolidWorks can make images that are viewable in 3D. I don't really need the ability but I do think it would be cool to be able to check out my puzzle designs in 3D before actually sending them off to Shapeways.

(4) And this is at the bottom of my list. 3D Games. I simply don't have time for games these days but my boys I though would get a kick out of playing some of the 3D games available.

So... that said. My experience with 3D images doesn't go much beyond making two images from different perspectives in POV-Ray. Placing them next to each other on the screen and crossing my eyes. I've seen some 3D TVs in stores and from what I've seen and what I've read the active systems are much better then the passive ones. And to be honest I haven't seen any 3D computer monitors that use the passive systems yet.

I found this link...

http://www.squidoo.com/3d-monitors

And it appears there are two basic types of active systems, the Nvidia 3D Vision system, which appears to come in 2 versions, or the Radeon system which uses AMD HD3D.

So here are my questions:

(1) Since I have a 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 Graphics card am I stuck with AMD HD3D? What I've read makes me think the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 sounds like the best. And I would personally think this would be driven by the monitor and not the video card. I'm just not sure.

(2) I'm finding it confusing knowing which 3D monitors need a seperate kit and which don't. Take this one for example. It comes with 3D glasses, has a built in IR emitter, and yet amazon says this is frequently bought together with the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit. Why? Is there something else needed?

(3) Reading the comments/reviews about the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit it doesn't sound like it comes with a video card so is it safe to assume this works with a AMD Radeon video card or does one need a NVIDIA video card too?

(4) And is their an accepted standard for saving 3D images. I know how to make the image for each eye say using POV-Ray but can I save them together in a single jpg or similar file which when viewed on a 3D monitor would be in 3D?

(5) Any steps I need to take to make sure I can watch commercial 3D Blu-Ray movies without running into security issues?

If you can answer any of these questions or point me to where I can find the best answers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl